Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC hummimg  (Read 3289 times)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
ESC hummimg
« on: February 06, 2009, 12:30:59 am »

I'm using up some odd bits to get the Veron Titan tug going as a paddle tug. I'm using a big old motor which I think came out of one of the lad's cars - maybe a mabuchi 540 - geared 57 to 1 (meccano worm gear) to the paddle shaft, a viper 15 ESC and a 6v SLA. It seems to work ok in the test tank, but if I don't return the throttle stick exactly to the centre position the ESC whistles and hums. The motor and shaft run quite freely - I'm sure its not the motor stalling. Should I be worried that all the smoke is about to escape, or is this acceptable? Should I just stuff 12 volts into it?

Proteus

Re: ESC hummimg
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:59:02 am »

try altering the trim on the TX it will prob stop.

Proteus

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 05:06:50 am »

How old is the radio gear?
High or low pitch humming?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 07:49:22 am »

The Viper is a high-frequency ESC which will produce a whistling noise from the motor brushes if the stick is moved fractionally away fro neutral. It is quite normal; don't worry. Proteus has the cheap and cheerful solution - or just buy some earplugs. I can provide a more expensive and permanent one  (a low frequency ESC) ok2
FLJ

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 11:39:23 am »

Thanks for the reassurance chaps - it's not a question of trim - its getting the stick back in precisely the same click on the ratchet as the ESC set itself up on. Yes FLJ I'd have come to you if this was a serious project but it's using up the titan hull I've had lying idle for 30 years, the wheels I built in the back of my car in lunch hours 35 years ago, the Hitec Laser 4 and any other bits lying about in the shed. If I enjoy playing with this then there might be a proper paddle project involving independently driven paddles and bow and stern rudders.

This modern radio gear is jolly good - I was out putting the potato peelings in the compost and found the Tx covered in snow where I'd left it out after a tank (fish box) test the previous day! Whoops. Still seems to work though.

craftysod

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 03:04:16 pm »

My viper does the same,just sail the boat further away till i cant hear it  :}

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:12:15 pm »

And some people pay good money for sound effects like that.  ok2

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 09:34:09 pm »

I'm using up some odd bits to get the Veron Titan tug going as a paddle tug. I'm using a big old motor which I think came out of one of the lad's cars - maybe a mabuchi 540 - geared 57 to 1 (meccano worm gear) to the paddle shaft, a viper 15 ESC and a 6v SLA. It seems to work ok in the test tank, but if I don't return the throttle stick exactly to the centre position the ESC whistles and hums. The motor and shaft run quite freely - I'm sure its not the motor stalling. Should I be worried that all the smoke is about to escape, or is this acceptable? Should I just stuff 12 volts into it?

Upping the voltage to 12V will not get rid of the whistling - it is a function of the ESC. The whine is when the pulses are too narrow to spin the motor - all you get is the noise of the armature vibrating and windings shifting as the current flows though it.

A  lower frequency ESC will give less whining, but can give lumpier performance with three pole motors. It should give better low speed performance on a good motor.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:18:47 pm »

Coo thanks wombat - I am some way to understanding that. I had wondered if at a tiny throttle opening there weren't enough volts going through to turn the motor, but now I understand the pulse is too short presumably to get the motor over to the next segment of the commutator? Against that I suppose there will be a finer graduation of increase in the ?mark/space? ratio so that it will run slower than with a low frequency ESC with which the slowest obtainable speed would be a tad faster.

I did have the Titan tug on a little steam engine when it used the screw propellor - I could understand that as I could work out where the steam went but wriggly amps are a bit beyong me!

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 12:56:29 pm »

Failing all of the above, if you still don't like the humming--------teach it some lyrics   :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:30:29 pm »

Good grief!  <*<
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 03:45:48 pm »

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.