Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: apoxy resin  (Read 2424 times)

big mal

apoxy resin
« on: June 20, 2007, 04:35:37 pm »

Hi all
I have started building the Pea Pod sail boat and have used apoxy resin to hold it together, but it will not set it's still tacky after a week.Can anyone tell me if there is any thing I can put on it to make it go off?
big mal

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: apoxy resin
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 07:40:11 pm »

Try leaving it the airing cupboard for a few days (as long as SWMBO doesn't object). I always mix mine with a little more hardner than required.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 07:54:18 pm »

Hi,
If that was my boat, I would cover the hull again with epoxy and use slightley more hardener.
The new epoxy may set the previous epoxy
Good luck
ro88o

mulleted

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:48:15 am »

Dont get attached to that hull.
My first scratch built was a scale 1920's cigar racer that was too this day one of my best ever, unfortunately, while glassing I added too little hardener and suffered the same fate as you...."xxxxx"!
In the end I used talcum powder to remove the tackyness and reglassed it, but the beautiful woodgrain I had slaved over was stuffed and that model felt the heel of my shoe in a fit of rage.....sigh...25 years on and I still regret that temper tantrum.
So to sum up, you may be lucky and save it, but if its tacky after 1 week I wouldnt give much for your chances of bonding the next layer cleanly.
And yes, EPOXY is a-poxy mix!

cheers,
Dave.
P.s try a hairdryer. Altho epoxy is a chemical set, it is prone to stay tacky if the humidity is too high (65%)  or the temp below 20c, and in those circumstances a hairdryer, a 6 pack and a couple idle hours may just save it (at least the beers salve the pain).

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:33:17 pm »

First of all Chorky 35 is talking about polyester resin and not epoxy. If you have epoxy that is still tacky after a week then you have mixed it to little hardener or not mixed it properly and it will never cure.
If you can get it apart you may be able to clean up the joints and re glue them. Just out of interest which epoxy system are you using I have always used the West system as I have experiance of using it to build sailing dinghy's in the past.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.