Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prop Shaft Lubrication  (Read 12332 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Re: Prop Shaft Lubrication
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 07:07:05 pm »

Dear Richard,

I understand what you mean, but the answer to your question is yes! - it is too easy. Having 'run' heavy eqpt. for many years, I am well used to mfrs. trying to sell parts at grossly inflated prices. Caterpillar is the only case where you get value for money due to quality and speed of service, however, by example, a British machinery mfr. (that will remain nameless), recently tried to flog us two eng. oil and 1 hydraulic oil filter for £130 + Vat, but we found the same filters in Lucas for £44 + Vat!!! Having had the principal of 'self-sufficiency' (for want of a better word), in such things for many years, I never believe in going for the first thing to hand. Yes, we can get equiv. Cat. filters cheaper elsewhere, but we don't (this is the only exception to the rule), but with everything else I try to source wherever I think there is either better quality and/or better value. This preamble leads back to the original point, this being that whilst there may indeed be 'a product' available, it does not mean that it is the absolute solution, nor indeed that it is the best. It may indeed be good, and you may be satisfied with it, but many people use other things because they feel the same about their 'stuff', as you do about the prod. you use. I always believe there is always something better than what may be available (invariably at a lower cost as well)... it's just in my nature to seek it out!

Regards, Bernard2

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 10:04:27 pm »

Dear Bernhard2

I agree with you absolutely but my tube of grease cost about £6 and will see me out and I am sure you can see I have more important things to do than save on this by spending money experimenting with something that might not work.

Richard 8)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 04:18:16 pm »

Dear Richard,

I know what you mean, and I get your drift. Not long ago I made 1lb weight of what I use in about ten mins. with an actual materials used cost of about £1. However, whilst this works very well and certainly does the job, I am more concerned environmentally. I am not an econut or anything similar(!), but I do believe in looking after the environment wherever possible. My 'solution' being relatively 'friendly', leaves me looking for something else that, if questioned, I can say is as 'enviro-friendly' as it is possibly able to be - and know that it's true. I do like the idea of this foodsafe grease though, and maybe it might work out no more in cost than yours at the moment? - if so, it's the answer really - and I can stop my dabbling! ;D

Regards, Bernard2

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 04:39:52 pm »

This might be a little off topic, but it is about the toxicity (or otherwise) of greases. In the '20s, the Bentley Le Mans team pit crew were bothered by a gendarme who wouldn't stop pestering them until they fed him. In the end they gave him a water pump grease sandwich. He came back an hour later for another one!

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 09:31:14 am »

If they can eat snails they will eat anything!!! ;D

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 02:17:39 pm »

This might be a little off topic, but it is about the toxicity (or otherwise) of greases. In the '20s, the Bentley Le Mans team pit crew were bothered by a gendarme who wouldn't stop pestering them until they fed him. In the end they gave him a water pump grease sandwich. He came back an hour later for another one!

Did it make him go faster  ;D ;D ;D
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 02:22:11 pm »

Did it make him go faster  ;D ;D ;D

Oeil d'une aiguille (eye of a needle), I shouldn't wonder, hope he made it to the loo in time.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 06:21:29 pm »

My lubricant is Premier Sapphire grease or sometimes Castrol axle grease, :) no bovva!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.