Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: scaling up drawings  (Read 2654 times)

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
scaling up drawings
« on: September 25, 2006, 07:47:59 pm »

I found, while browsing internet, some reasonable drawings of an Open 40' class sail boat. I saved the files to disk for future reference and am now interested in making plans for a 3' + model. The files are in .bmp format and need to be enlarged about 5x.
Can anyone suggest a simple method of reproducing the drawings to the larger scale?

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: scaling up drawings
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 08:01:05 pm »

Hi Martin,

I would load your BMP picture into a VECTOR program, such as Corel draw, and trace over it. Having got your tracing magnify this to the size you want. The vector drawing will magnify cleanly whereas the BMP will become very jagged if you magnify it much more than 100%.

If you do not have access to a Vector program then I suggest you get it enlarged at a office supplies place that has a decent photo copier.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

warspite

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 12:36:06 am »

I think it's called a pantogram, available from either a good drawing office supplies or art material shop, i found it difficult to use as the version i bought di not have a good enough pencil clamping mechanism.

it looks like a piece of trelis for climbing plants, made of metal and is fixed down at one end (but pivots about this point), has a pin that is used to trace the outline etc of the scaled item, and a pencil holder at the other end, there is usually somewhere in the bodywork of the device to adjust the pivot points to give different scales, not very acurate in my opinion but relatively simple to use, just a thought

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 10:28:38 am »

Martin

I assume you want to do it on your computer ?

Do you have M/S Publisher ? If yes - create a blank custom page - special size. Size the page to be slightly larger than the size of the model plan you want to create. Insert the .bmp then stretch it to the size you want using the ruler guides on the screen.  Print it using the "tile" option. Glue the printed sheets together and there you are.

This gives a plan with rather thick lines - but its still useable.

I have just done this with a plan for a schooner.

Don

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 06:12:24 pm »

Proportional divders - I have a pair, but cannot remember where I got them from. I know it was via google, and they were very cheap. You can reset them to whatever scale you want, they will also divide circles,( planes and solids) - whatever they are!
Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.