Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dutch Courage / Partner  (Read 3978 times)

catengineman

Dutch Courage / Partner
« on: January 29, 2009, 07:37:03 pm »

I thought I had better sit and make up a build log for my latest vessel the Dutch Courage from Model Slipways.

This is so that the thread " who's building what" does not get too jumbled with lots of us adding to our original post in that thread. (well thats my look on things :embarrassed: )

I managed to aquire the BIG box before the Christmas break but resisted the temptation to get it underway until the 22nd of Jan (was easy as I left the BIG box aboard the ship I work on  O0.

On opening there infront of me was a very well packaged parcel lots of bubble wrap to protect the hull, vac formed accommodation and the various other moulded parts. 10 out of 10  :-))
I have not worked that much with styrene plastic so this is a learning curve for me.
I sat down to read the "Manual" yes they even supply a bound build manual listing every part and of what it is made from, lots of info on glues and options for further into the build.
SO from laying out the various bags and bits to starting to construct the tug.
The printed styrene sheets (just the crane one shown here) are very clear, I sat and compared sheet items with the relative build pages in the manual to familiarize myself with the task of construction,
I then cut out all the parts and kept each sheets bits in a plastic bag with the sheet number writen on for further reference.
just some of the cut out parts shown (note to self = make sure you have a good scalpel and a steady hand as some lines are relivent to two or more ajoining parts.)

After 4 days of slicing styrene my hands are aching and the fingers are suffering  {-) though that could be my age  {-)

So it was onto some marking out of the hull, in the manual there are templates (drawn at full size) which give you an easy way to mark the anchor box, Bow Thrust, shaft, A frame and freeing port holes.

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dutch Courage / Partner
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 04:33:19 pm »

Looking good Burt, lets hope some more people on here take some interest, be a shame after all the hard work your going to be doing .

Capt Podge

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 08:58:11 pm »

Watching your build with interest and already it is clear that you are well organised with this one - must try that on a future build myself O0

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 12:55:36 pm »

Been beavering away all but slowly :D
I thought I would spend some time constructing items like the crane, funnels and the bridge consuls.
(not the easiest)
I built both funnel stacks and then had the opportunity to make them matched pairs by holding them side by side I could apply a small amount of filler then sand them together, now when I do get to fit them they should sit at the same hight and angles etc.

I fitted the running gear and bow thrust. before I slid the shafts in I soldered some greaser tubes. the tubes, "A" frames and rudder stocks are set in resin.
The wooden bed is bonded to the hull and sealed around the edges with silicone. the battery box is one I had left over from my T.N build.

sea.mariner        I am very lucky in that while I am away I can still build  :-)) I have the tinternet with me and a sparse workshop (wish I had more tools and equipment on here)
Building has not been that easy for the last few days this vessel has rocked and rolled in a force 8 to 9 gales! when your trying to put tiny bits of styrene together it can get frustrating then there is the smells
Bilge waters sloshing, cooks mush burning (or was that the salad). We were due to go up the Thames but the pilots are all OFF station so its ?? sit here and wait I think. :((
Still not decided on the crane?
R,

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:27:37 pm »

...Hi Guys...

Why not do what I have done with my Scratch Built "SCOTCH PRIDE" and make the Crane removable...

I can take the crane off when using the boat for a heavy Tow...

My crane sits on a Camera Spool Container & you just take the Lid off to remove the Crane...

I am Planning on doing the same with my Model Slipway Boat...

I will post pictures if you wish...

...All The Best...Norry...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

catengineman

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:26:38 pm »

Its not an issue for the towing as I know the crane being where it is will not cause too much of a problem in towing (Daman boats have the cranes in the same place)
I am in the mind to redo it so that it can be worked from my trany and that is why I am still in an undecided  mode.

R,

catengineman

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 12:17:33 am »

Did a little more on the build part way through the tow winch
have put a gearbox and motor to one side which will be hidden by the Stbd funnel. only half of the winch will work (towing side, not the work winch)
The windlass is together and awaits fitting.

TCC

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 02:20:45 pm »

That white metal windlass looks nice unpainted... pity it has to be, eh?

I have a question on the styrene sheets, I saw a DC kit the other month, the black outlines to each part... where do you put the knife on the line? Is it the inside edge? Outside? mid way? The lines are pretty thick as I recall.

catengineman

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 04:29:37 pm »

I had the same thought, so as the lines are thick I took to using the middle where I could, then for parts that were the same or even mirror image I clamped together and then slowly sanded to the base of the remaining line.

the bullwalk frames will drive you mad  :D

sorry not added to this build but the tug is almost finished but still aboard my ship while I now look after family problems

R,

catengineman

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 09:48:24 pm »

I have just recieved my build back from its paint shop (yes I got some one else to paint my vessel) and a super job he has done on it.  :-))

You will also note that the name is not that of Dutch ??? but of a personal choice much the same as the livery. (I will now have to change Tito Neri)

Many many thanks go to capt jack for his help  :-))

ZZ56

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 10:52:50 pm »

Very nice tug.  Looks like it will make a good pusher and a good tow-er.

Dare i ask what the captain's name is?   ok2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.