Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When will it end?  (Read 2114 times)

Garabaldy

When will it end?
« on: January 29, 2009, 08:10:57 pm »

Well every day i come home from work and sit at the table to eat my tea while listening to the news.  Every night they are going on and on about the recession so this prompted me to ask google when it would end.

heres the link i got http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080925073327AA239rb

Not that i believe everything i read or hear but its still interesting reading.

Anyone else have an enlightend view on the recession? 

bobdoc

Re: When will it end?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 08:39:01 pm »

Could well be true, Gary.

The defintion of a recession (two quarters of negative growth) was coined by Lyndon Johnston's advisers so that he could deny a recession as he tried for a second term

My "IFA" told me last autumn that a "long-term" investment is 5 years: my uncle and grandfather, together with the village bank manager, lawyer, doctor, etc. spent months deciding what little of their precious saving to invest and in what company(e.g Bank of Hong Kong, now HSBC)  and never sold shares thereafter- to my joyous benefit 50+ years later.

A biscuit tin under the mattress stuffed with note seems an increasingly good idea ... at least until the Rothschild's say normality is restored

Bobdoc

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: When will it end?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 08:54:18 pm »

The general "concensus" is about 2 yrs.
This is a completely artificial situation where money was lent to increasingly unsound lenders to keep the Banks profit figures high, therefore the share price to ensure that the directors qualified for exceptional Bonus Payments.
This situation has been getting worse over the last 10 years where interest rates were low and money "cheap" to borrow.
The present situation has brought it home to the majority of people that as a nation we are carrying to much dept per capita.
This recession will last a bit longer as the personal debt is reduced to a more manageable level.
So there will be a lag where loans are reduced/paid off and spending confidence returns to consumers.
So I am looking at 21/2 to 3 years.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.