Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why you should use the hand break  (Read 2646 times)

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Why you should use the hand break
« on: January 29, 2009, 10:08:01 pm »

{-) {-) {-) O0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/7857643.stm

they are still getting the passangers off

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Why you should use the hand break
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:48:24 pm »

well the driver is sacked!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:24:13 am »

I am astonished that there seems to be no chocking sytem or barrier to stop a vehicle sliding into the doors! I can understand why they don't chain them in fair weather as it would take a long time - perhaps Stdg orders should be changed so they chain the first and last in each row?

amdaylight

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 02:18:17 am »

I have had to put my Tractor trailer on several different ferry boats and every one of them put at least 6 chains on the rig, 4 on the tractor and 2 on the trailer and they did this even when I was empty, my trailer was a flat bed so it was pretty easy to tell if the trailer was loaded or empty. On average it only took the crew 2 or 3 minutes to get the truck chained down and ready for sea. They also checked to make sure that my brakes were set and that the truck was in gear.

I blame this one completely on the ships crew, the cargo was not secure or this would not have happened. When someone else loaded my trailer it was still up to me and no one else to make sure that the load was secured for the trip. If the load came loose and landed on someone or some thing the police would have held me completely and solely responsible for any and all damages and if someone was injured or killed I could be held criminally responsible as well.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:44:31 am »

That's right, it is up to the ship to ensure the cargo is safely secured before proceeding to sea

Mike

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Why you should use the handbrake
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:54:22 am »

well the driver is sacked!
Ghosty you should know better than to automatically blame the driver.

When I was driving HGVs and had to go on a ferry, the truck was always chained down and the crew checked it was in gear and with the handbrake on.

This looks a bit like a crew cock up.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 02:11:46 pm »

See i think it is the drivers fault, its down to him to make sure that his truck is parked safely and handbrake is on when he leaves the truck.  The HSS ferry is very stable in bad weather and its unlikely that loading officer wanted the truck or anything else chained down unless the forcast was bad.

When I'm on leave i work on the Isle of Wight ferries and we never chain anything down and for those of you that know the area it can get quite rough in the Solent.  But you wouldn't believe the number of drivers that drive on the ferry, get out of their cars without putting their handbrakes on, thats my take on it, and i used to drive trucks.

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 03:27:53 pm »

Hey capt jack just noticed your tag line  :D

IS there something you want to tell me???????

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 05:23:49 pm »

Burt,do keep up thats been there since I joined !!!!! :}

farrow

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:35:50 pm »

With reference to the ferry chaining trucks, yes it is a requirement outside smooth water limits. The Isle of Wight ferries do not chain down as they are short haul in smooth water limits, but the lorries brakes are locked on and checked by the crew. I expect in due time the full report will be published by the MAIB, also I would not like to be the Chief Officers boots now and also the old man must be feeling a bit edgy now along with the company, see who slides shoulders most!!!!

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 10:56:46 pm »

The only time the crew check the brakes is if there are drop trailers onboard, they do not check any vehicle that is driven onboard by a third party or that is put onboard by one of the company tugs and remains attached to the tug for the crossing.

amdaylight

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 04:27:55 am »

Well I bet that is all going to change now, like I said even when using the Washington State Farries in Puget Sound they chained my rig down and used special chock blocks on one axel on the tractor and one axel on the trailer even though I wasw loaded in the middle of the car deck.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

Beachcomber

• Shipmate
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 11:59:38 am »

When I was hauling loads to Ireland I used Stranraer  Heysham  Fleetwood and Liverpool hauling abnormal loads, in fact all these loads were boats and in all cases both the unit and the trailer were chained down and the brakes on. If the trailer was loaded with a tug, when the tug dropped the trailer, the brakes came on automatically and then it would be chained to the deck by the dockers or the crew. The driver would have no further control over what went on.

Roger in France

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 01:04:16 pm »

I am always amused when taking my Renault Espace through the Chunnel. A steward comes dashing along aying to drivers, "Handbake on. Gearbox in neutral."

There is no handbrake on my car. The brake is applied automatically in "Park". I can quite imagine what would happen if I put it in neutral!

Roger in France
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.