Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay - Paypal  (Read 2998 times)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
Ebay - Paypal
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:41:42 pm »

Yes, they have done it again..

.. and a bit of a warning..

Myself and Mrs Toes have had new credit cards issued to us recently, on a joint account.... so the cards have the same number.

I just bought something through ebay and went in to Paypal to pay....

Updating my info, i tried to update the credit card info... only to get a warning screen telling me that credit card number was already in use and i couldnt use it.

On questioning Paypal, they tell me i cant use the credit card on my account as Mrs Toes has already registered her card with Paypal.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Ebay - Paypal
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:44:03 pm »

Annoying, but at least they are making an effort to stop ID fraud. Unlike some.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:27:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure that in the UK two cards on one account would have different numbers. That was true of debit cards on our old Bank Account - never had two credit cards on one account - yet. I applied for one for my wife so that I don't have to accompany her on every shopping expedition on our forthcoming holiday. I ordered it about 3 weeks ago and not heard anything since. The only reason for doing it is that my bank and credit card take no commission on overseas usage whereas hers charges 2.75percent.

Barrie

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:38:04 pm »

The Lloyd's TSB or what ever they call themself now issue two credit cards with the same numbers. :(( how do I know ? spanner has one I have the other went to return a purchase but kept getting told wrong card, looked at the last four numbers and they matched the numbers on the receipt then spanner said it was her card the we used tried it and success then looked and all the numbers are the same.

looked at my Barclay cards and spanners they are different (but she is only named user on them) {-) If she tries to spend over a set sum I get phone call to ask if I am aware. (happened while I stood next to her in the shop while she was getting some stuff. I think it was embarrassing for her as the sales person said "your card is being referred madam" then MY phone rang and a nice lady from the bank asked if I knew the card was being used at ##### for so and so. spanner no longer used that card  :-))

craftysod

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:32:40 pm »

The card might have the same number on the front,but do they have the same 3 digit number on the back,
this is encrypted on the card chip.
If a purchase was made on one card,the others halfs card cannot be used for refund etc.
How do i know,my dads a bank robber,oops sorry manager
Mark

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:38:05 pm »

I have two joint CCs recently issued (don't ask  >:-o ) all the cards have different numbers and my account numbers are different again.

Maybe a new thing?

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:49:49 pm »

If you have two cards on the same account sometimes they wil have the same number, sometimes they won't. I have examples of both. It seems to depend on the bank. Also when you get a new card sometimes it is the same number, sometimes it isn't. It certainly isn't if the old one has been cancelled due to cloning. I have had cards stolen in the post, opened in the post and presumably recorded, and the most recent instance was somebody applying for a replacement card in my name, on my account but to a different address. And what did the bank do? Well they sent it it to the fraudster's address of course rather than the one to which they send my statements! Fortunately the neighbour of the fraudsters (a bunch of Somalis it seems) intercepted the letter and passed it back to me which was very public spirited of them. Neither the bank nor the police seemed terribly interested as "no crime had been committed".

I always use secure websites when ordering over the Net but that doesn't mean that the people at the other end are not secure.

I don't think anybody cares very much...  :((

Colin

tonysmoke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:43:52 pm »

Look Out this happend to me , picked up some new carpets for my car and saved about £30 payed with card no problem, received carpets no prob, when bank statement
came found £140.50  to high street vouchers , informed bank and canceled cards, next day another £140 out , bank informed fraud dept, seems some sh-it from carpet place
used my number to buy vouchers and then pass them on , we will get our cash back from our bank , please check your statements ,
t le b

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 09:01:57 pm »

That's the problem. The system itself may be secure, it's the lowlife at the other end that cause the grief.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:11:00 pm »

Just had someone hijack our credit cards for the fourth time. Just lucky I guess. >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 09:32:44 pm »

I have to wonder whether the Chinese get it right in these situations. If they catch up with the culprit they shoot them! Whilst I'd maybe not go so far as that myself, sometimes a "disproportionate" response is the right one.

The problem is that the the reaction of the authorities is so weak kneed that the people responsible comsider it to be a reasonable business risk.

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 10:15:54 pm »

We have 2 cards on the one account, but each has a different number. This happened about 3 years ago, but previous to that, both cards had the same number. Just prior to our first visit to Britain, in 1993, our bank manager suggested we take 2 separate cards, each on a different account, so if one was lost or stolen, we could use the other. With 2 cards having the same number, if one was reported lost or stolen, the account would be frozen, and both cards would be de-activated.

Now, with each card (on the same account) having a different number, if one is lost, the other can still be used. We have just been issued with new cards, following the expiration of the old ones, and the numbers are the same, with the exception of the CVC numbers on the signature panel. The PINs remain the same, too. Any automatic debits to the cards are unaffected.

Peter.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 12:45:53 am »

There is another number on the card, that is also encrypted.
But you will not see it on most CC.

The issue number.
This may explain the situation where the wife's and husband's cards are incompatible, even though the number is the same.

In China most people avoid using credit cards wherever possible. However debit cards are popular. But Number 1 is cash.

There is a lot of fraud here, and forgery. I even had a forged 20RMB note (about 2 quid) a few weeks ago. It is also why the government has resisted producing a note greater than 100RMB, about a tenner.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tugs46

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 02:39:38 am »

A few years ago, here in Canada, a huge amount of 'spam' emails were sent out to registered paypal users, requesting that they update their account info.
Many people fell for it, and suffered the consequences, plus many folks who did'nt reply woke up one morning to find that somehow they had purchased something they never did!!

I  checked my emails one morning and recieved a message containing a paypal transaction saying that I'd bought a set of 4 custom wheels for an Acura, and here's your receipt for $800.00 US >>:-( ..about $1000.00 Canadian at that time >>:-(

I don't own an Acura...and likely never will <*<

Pay pal made it all good, but it took two days of frustrating emails and phone calls to set them right.

All I can say is: BE REALLY CAREFULL, who you deal with....especially on fleabay, and some of those instant so-called 'Hobby Stores' that have no contact adresses or phone numbers O0 O0

Mike

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 01:22:52 pm »

Dear Mike,

Always pays to be careful as you say, and re eBay and PayPal, whenever something arrives connected with accounts in one way or another - even if it looks as if it's from them - I contact them direct and ask for confirmation that what was rcd. was/is genuine.

Regards, Bernard

craftysod

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 04:08:44 pm »

2 years ago when i was selling my racecar,someone emailed me about it.
They sent me a cheque for £3500 even though i was sellling the car for £1000,then they said if i pay the other £2500
back to them via western union.
I paid the cheque into my bank,knowing it was dodgy,they kept hassling me for the £2500,i didnt pay them the police did,it was a stolen cheque book
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.