Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sad loss to Model boating  (Read 2725 times)

Bowwave

Sad loss to Model boating
« on: January 31, 2009, 04:59:32 pm »

I was informed to day at the sad loss of Des Newton after a long illness  . I'm sure  many in the model boat world will remember Des for his undivided support for the RNLI and his many years actively organising  the   National Model Life boat rally   at Southport . Also his great sense of humour but many more will remember Des  introducing many a would be modeller to ship modelling through his ship bottling at the Merseyside Maritime Museum were his charm , humour and expert knowledge were all rolled into one, not just to entertain but educate in a  way only Des Newton could . My sympathies to his  wife  and family.
Bowwave

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Sad loss to Model boating
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 06:25:04 pm »

I should like to echo Bowwaves comments. It is indeed a very sad day not only for me personally but, for many in the marine modeling world as well.

Des will be chiefly remembered for his unstinting enthusiasm and commitment to raising funds for the RNLI , this was done manly through the Model Lifeboat Regatta which was held first at Crosby near his home in Liverpool and, as it grew at the Marine Lake at Southport.   

The major achievement of this event was to raise enough money to equip the RNLI with two inshore lifeboats Modeler 1 & 2, as well as the required equipment for the crews. This amounted to at least £25,000, surely an outstanding achievement by any standard.
Des was also the resident Ships in a Bottle demonstrator at the Liverpool Maritime Museum, from its inception until he retired several years ago. I would go over there many times and take many friends and visitors to see him, so that they could see the skill and dexterity and the little bit of magic it took to get a model ship in a variety of bottles; none, I can assure you, ever went away with anything other than a bread smile.

One of Des’s proudest moments was when he was asked to make a model of HMY Britannia for presentation to Her Majesty the Queen.  The day duly dawned and Des presented the model in its bottle to Her Majesty, later at lunch, the model was placed in the table in front of the Queen however, there was a bunch of flowers in the way, so the Queen ordered that the flowers be moved so that she could admire the model over lunch. Later in the day, he was given the job of taking the model to the real HMY Britannia then moored alongside Liverpool Landing Stage.  This whole episode of course Des extremely proud and he reiterated the tale for a long time afterwards.

Until his retirement Des was one of the stars of Liverpool Maritime Museum, he entertained young and old alike, not only with his modeling skills, of which he had an abundance but, also so with his amusing antidotes about life itself.  After retirement from the Museum, he found himself in demand from other museums not only in the UK but abroad as well, much to his surprise I expect.
So my friend, may piece be with you as you cross the Bar and take up your rightful place amongst the marine modelmakers in the sky.

LB

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 06:56:44 pm »

He was a lovely man, of impeccable truth, honesty and gratiousness, and I could honestly say one of THE BEST.
He was a man, who you could not see for months and sometimes a year or more, but on meeting again, would talk about things that you had discussed last time as though it was only yesterday.
A giant amongst men,AND  a great modeller, and I for one will miss him.
God bless you Des, and my thoughts are with your family.
Neil. {:-{ :((
LB, would you know when and where his funeral is to be held please and whether there is a collection for his favorite charity, the RNLI.
thanks, neil.

tony52

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:22:50 pm »

I can remember attending the 'National Lifeboat Rally's' which Des organized, in years gone by. These were held at the Marine Lake in Southport. Always superb events and Des would always make everyone welcome.
A sad loss. God Bless.

Tony.

garston1

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 08:07:38 pm »

i used to spend many hours with des at the Liverpool Maritime, usually trying to get a word in! His ships in bottles were something to behold, he once presented the queen with one of the Royal Yacht Britannia, but inside the model, on a fireplace was a model of... yes the Britannia!. As well as being a very nice, kind and gentle man, he was a campaigner to keep many of the displays at the museum, he will be sadly and greatly missed RIP Des.

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:09:29 pm »

Des was a true gentleman who worked tirelessly to raise funds for the R.N.L.I at the Southport Lifeboat Regattas and other events.
I particularly remember our times at the Southport Police Social Club for the Saturday evening get together where Des spent most of evening running auctions, raffles and still finding time to entertain us with a few songs along with his trusty ukulele.

I was fortunate to see the Ship in the bottle that he presented to the Queen.  I have to agree with Liverbudgie, that this was probably his proudest moment.

Rest In Peace Des.

FC

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:18:30 pm »

Also another sad loss on Saturday, Paul  Wigglesworth  ( WIGGY )  A Balne Moor M.B.C. Member
He will be sadly missed.

John                                   POLL

ian kennedy

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:53:39 pm »

Remember In Peace

Des and Paul,

I only met Des a few times in the early 90's at Southport, a very kind and encouraging gent he will be sadly missed.

As for Paul ( WIGGY ) i knew him very well for over 18 years we had some good banter putting our little world of model boats to rights, and having a great time to boot. Paul had been fighting the big C for a long time and although he had bad days, but the many days that we were stood around a pond giving some friendly earache to fellow modellers allways seemed to put a huge grin on his face...ain't that right Poll?

From all at the W.H.M.S and all your friends in East Yorks and Lincs rest peacefully Wigg's

Ian Kennedy

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 02:59:20 pm »

Sad loss.
Although i did not know Mr Newton , i did have the pleasure of meeting Paul (wiggy) at Goole and Blane , a most helpfull chap and a gent .
He will be sadly missed.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 03:34:24 pm »

There is a quarter page obituary of Des Newton in today's Times.

Colin

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 04:06:09 pm »

Thanks for that information Colin.

For those interested, the article can be found at
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article5934016.ece

FC

nhp651

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 05:31:55 pm »

a good write up for a lovely man.
he deserves it. :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.