Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The infamous Motorflote ( Motorflotte ) push tug...  (Read 241733 times)

Stavros

Re: The infamous Motorflote push tug...
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 11:31:09 pm »

I bet our springers are badder and better than your Pusher pee wee tiddler of a tug !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Stav

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 08:42:26 am »

Time to fully arm Battlespringer then   :-)) :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 01:22:37 pm »

Kinda puts me in mind of a log bronc or the Navy version docking tug

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 01:25:16 pm »

Joe, you sent me some photos and drawings which I used as the basis for my boat.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 03:36:15 pm »

I'm up for a battle...  :-))

That Motorflote looks like an interesting build / boat... U-33 please keep us updated on its build!

das boot

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 04:47:55 pm »

Well well well...it looks as though we could have a challenge here to Motorflote superiority?  <*< <*< <*<

Give me a chance to build it and then we'll see what can be arranged, there must be one of them there Springing things in my neck of the woods? Motorflote will take on all comers and will show success...we will stomp on you Springin things... <*< <*< anytime baby!!

Springers...huh! Exterminate....exterminate....exterminate!!!!!

Rich

Motorflote rules OK!!

das boot

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 05:57:36 pm »

I meant to ask..how big is a Springer?

I plan on making Motorflote Mk2  12"x10" and around 8-10" high...is that about the size of a Springer?

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 06:22:33 pm »

A few photos to whet your appitite!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

das boot

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 06:50:33 pm »

Terrific Martin...thanks very much for the piccies. By George, it's a magnificent looking beast...Springers, beware!   %)

Rich

djrobbo

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 06:52:29 pm »

Hmmmm...looks like i need to upgrade the gun and put on some bigger depth charges...............wonder if i could fit torpedoes to my sprigate <*< <*< {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

No doubt phil will have a secret weapon of some kind !!!

Fancy thinking a motorised shoe box could get the better of a springer...... :P :P

HA....i say  !!!!!!

regards....bob

das boot

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 07:28:41 pm »

Springers...be afraid. Be very afraid...Motorflote Mk2 is comin' to get ya!!   <*<  <*<

Rich

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 12:47:07 am »

Rich , i think your plan with an angle where the prop shaft comes out looks better than the original . might even have a go myself , :(( err no maybe not there aer 18 boats allready in the shed and another one in the garage ,the wife may have something to say if i build another  >>:-(  <*< as there is an 8 foot tanker laid on the workshop floor  :embarrassed: .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

bogstandard

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009, 04:42:20 am »

Rich,

I built the boat from the plans a few years ago, but fitted it with a schottel drive. I also did the mod with the angles leading back to the prop area. I think it ended up at about 60 degrees, but can't be sure

It could turn in circles around it's own length, but it is the rather bluff bow that causes the problems. It is designed to be strapped at the back of something as a power unit rather than a highly maneuverable little curved hull pusher 'bug'. I would suggest, rather than having a totally bluff bow, angle the front of the hang down bit backwards by 45 degrees, that should help a lot in keeping the nose from dipping

I donated my unpainted model to a certain member, and he duly stripped it to make a springer out of the bits. If he did a good job of the stripping and hasn't used them for anything else, there should be a fully silver soldered set of skids just right to fit your model.

To put the cat amongst the pigeons, have a look through all the springers and see who has one with a schottel drive and a Motorflote cabin on top. He who put the major smiley challenge at the top of this page.

John

das boot

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 06:11:21 pm »

Thanks Daz and John, more interesting Motorflote information and folklore. My plan still hasn't arrived, so I've started drawing my own...after all, it's only a box, so I'm gonna do my own thing with angled bits everywhere.

I'm contemplating fitting mine with twin Kort nozzles, one at the bows and one at the stern...could make for some interesting stick twiddling?

(John...hope that cat is tame????? We can soon alter that... %) )

Rich

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 07:06:38 pm »

I built a motofloat a few years ago, I entered it in a steering regatta, the club in question had a docking procedure at the end of the course on this occasion, I think I had a clear round until this but the rules said that it was the lenght of the model plus a fixed length (can't remember what that was). This is were I slipped up, as the model was nearly square the diagonal was greater than the dock length allowed so I could not get in, I did inform the scorer that when the motofloat came alongside it came in straight and was lifted out of the water by crane and left on the dockside, but this was not allowed. Still I had a lot of fun with the model be fore I sold it. So much fun in fact that I have started to build another which is going to have a schottel drive unit.
Alan

tugboyben

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 07:34:58 pm »

hi u-33

motorflote pusher tug plan & building details on ebay item number (370152144665) :-))

regards jason

das boot

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 07:53:56 pm »

I built a motofloat a few years ago, I entered it in a steering regatta, the club in question had a docking procedure at the end of the course on this occasion, I think I had a clear round until this but the rules said that it was the lenght of the model plus a fixed length (can't remember what that was). This is were I slipped up, as the model was nearly square the diagonal was greater than the dock length allowed so I could not get in, I did inform the scorer that when the motofloat came alongside it came in straight and was lifted out of the water by crane and left on the dockside, but this was not allowed. Still I had a lot of fun with the model be fore I sold it. So much fun in fact that I have started to build another which is going to have a schottel drive unit.
Alan

I remember doing a similar thing with the Mk 1 I built at double size, couldnt get the thing into docking boxes for love nor money. But as you say Alan, great fun trying! I'm glad to hear you're building another one...I'll be registering you my wingman in the Motorflote squadron, we must unite against these pesky Springers!

hi u-33

motorflote pusher tug plan & building details on ebay item number (370152144665) :-))

regards jason

Thanks Jason...I've bought the back issue plus plans from Model Boats, but thank you anyway for the kind thought.

Rich

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 10:18:27 pm »

How about a bow boat.

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 10:27:48 pm »

Here's some drawings of a bow boat

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2009, 10:53:22 pm »

...Hi Guys...

If the First Springer doesn,t Kill this thing then we will just send in another one, then another one, then another one,then another one, then ano...Get The Idea...Theres More Of Us Than You...

U33 better get his mates building a few brothers for his wee Motor Flop Thingy...

Just Wait Till The Good Weather Comes & I get The Springer Mould In Action....

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

kiwi

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 11:58:37 pm »

Rich,
how about one of these
kiwi

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 03:54:32 am »

how about one of these

Or one of these?

Peter.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 04:40:11 pm »

Another thing I didn't mention in my earlier reply was that a friend of mine went down to the southcoast, I beleive Chichester area and found one of the original Motofloats, he had gone to count the rivets so that he could have a dig at me for not building a scale model. He came home  having had a wasted trip, very upset he told me that the whole thing is welded, not a rivet in site {-) {-) {-) Alan

das boot

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 04:53:38 pm »

Some wonderful looking beasties in those pics chaps, many thanks indeed to all of you for posting those up..love the well weathered look.

Another thing I didn't mention in my earlier reply was that a friend of mine went down to the southcoast, I beleive Chichester area and found one of the original Motofloats, he had gone to count the rivets so that he could have a dig at me for not building a scale model. He came home  having had a wasted trip, very upset he told me that the whole thing is welded, not a rivet in site {-) {-) {-) Alan

Alan...could that have been Poole Harbour? I remember seeing one down there many years back, and I believe that the original plan was based on one from Poole. I like welded, welded is good...saves a lot of trouble adding rivets!!

Rich

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 05:52:46 pm »

Well well well...it looks as though we could have a challenge here to Motorflote superiority?  <*< <*< <*<

Give me a chance to build it and then we'll see what can be arranged, there must be one of them there Springing things in my neck of the woods? Motorflote will take on all comers and will show success...we will stomp on you Springin things... <*< <*< anytime baby!!

Springers...huh! Exterminate....exterminate....exterminate!!!!!

Rich

Motorflote rules OK!!

Careful, them two TBW springers have a PHD rating...
Rumor has it that the drives are sonic driven... O0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.