Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 100w House Bulbs  (Read 8674 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
100w House Bulbs
« on: February 01, 2009, 06:35:05 pm »

Went into B & Q yesterday to buy some 100w bulbs. The bloke in there was telling me you can't get them for love or money and they don't make em any more. So I was shopping (forced expedition with missus) today and came across some 6 packs with, 40s, 60s, 100 w bulbs  and bought quickly. They were in Poundland.

Checking around the house (under the bed) I found 8 100w bulbs and the outside security lights (5) have 100w bulbs in them. So I should be O.K. for a time. After they have all gone I don't know what  I'll do.

I don't like these new energy bulbs as they take too long to become bright and if you look at them I get a white spot in the eye. So get some 100 w bulbs if you know where to get some.

Seaspray

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 100w House Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:35:20 pm »

I think 100w lamps are loosing favour in our enlightened (sorry!) times of saving the planet and to be honest there is not a great deal of difference between the lighting effect outside at night betwen a 60w and a 100w lamp.

If you really don't like the short delay that the mini flourescents have then why not have a look at LED lamps.  They are developing fast, use a fraction of the energy of an incandescent lamp, last forever and are extreemly bright.

Lamp technology is developing at a very fast pace nowadays and 100w incandescents really are a thing of the past.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:39:28 pm »

I find the newer low energy lamps come to full brightness a lot quicker. Obviously not the same as a filament bulb.
I'm not too keen on the look of them, but then I suppose my ancestors bemoaned the passing of gas mantels.
When a bulb goes in our house it gets replaced with a low energy

50p for two at Morrissions the other day, if I remember correctly.

if you look at them I get a white spot in the eye. and you don't with a 100 watt? 8)

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 07:47:23 pm »

Morissons has an offer on at the moment for low energy bulbs , by a twin pack @0.48p and get 2 twinpacks free..   screwin and bayanet. wattage equivalant 40w 60,w 100  all included in deal. 

Hagar

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 08:14:32 pm »

You can get low energy bulbs that give the same as a 100w filament bulb, look for 35 or 40w.. A good thing with low energy bulbs is they do not generat as much heat as a conventional bulb, and the light is more blue and less red, getting near to day light once 'warmed up'.
Halogen bulbs; very Hot, dont last as long, and when one goes bang, It Goes BANG. Even the low pressure ones!

LED bulbs. In theory should last for ever, and I have hear that befor long you will be able to but lamps with the LED bulb hard wireded into the lamp!!!
The light can be a bit cold in colour, but they are also cold running. (OK they get a little warm but should not run hot). LED are also the only form of light source that will really save you money.
Every one that has changed a lot of lights to Halogen are often surprised that the electric bill is not as small as they had hoped. It may well be that the power comes out of the transformer at 12v, but there is stil 240v going in, and getting used.
Some stange way LED lights, just use minimal power, and still give a lot of light.

Personally, I like a good old floresent strip with a day light tube in the work shed, but on my desk I have an 'old fasion 80w clear bulb in a multi architec lamp.. (sod the expense) :-(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 08:20:25 pm »

There are a lot of cheapie low energy bulbs around at the moment which are nominally equal to 60 watts but actually nearer 40 and give off an unpleasant pallid light. As said earlier, the latest good quality ones do come to full brightness very quickly. I have found that the Phillips "ice cream spiral" ones aren't bad and they have a 20 watt design which is supposed to be equivalent to 115 watts. It certainly matches a 100 watt pearl incandescent. They cost between two and three pounds each though. Bunkerbarge is right in that LEDs are the way forward. At the moment they are very expensive and basically consist of a pile of rings of Hi Bright LEDs in a glass envelope but the cost will come down in time. In the meantime you could look at mains halogen bulbs which give a bright clear light and save around 30% over incandescents.

One of the problems with low energy lamps is whether they will fit your light fitting. Many are too fat at the base and of course they aren't much good if you have chandeliers. I expect lots of Mayhemers have chandeliers....  %)

Colin

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 08:46:15 pm »

Some of you may be interested in a few figures as regards this topic.

On a reasonably sized cruise ship I know quite well a process of changing out the halogen lamps in the passenger corridors was started a couple of years ago.  They changed 650 x 50w halogens for 7w mini florescents, a saving of 43w each or nearly 28 kw.  That's the eqivilent of 28 of the old bar fires kicking out heat into the corridors!!  The cost of the new lamps and fittings came to over $9000.00 but the time taken to recoup the cost in saved fuel?   About 8 months.  Since they they have gone on to change lamps in a lot of other areas of the ship and are saving very large sums of money in fuel costs.

I agree that a lot of people do not see a significant change in thier energy bills but what percentage of the total bill is the lamps when compared to the electric cooker, tumble drier, steam iron, hair driers, TV's on stand by etc...etc...?  Changing the lamp in the loung from 60w to 7w is going to save 53w but then you use a 1400 w vacuum cleaner to hoover the carpet!!!

As I said LED's will soon take over from the mini flourescents as soon as the colouyr is better corrected and they produce a dimmable lamp.  They are already in existance but still need developement for commercial sales.  They are on thier way though and will revolutionise lighting.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 09:09:22 pm »

There are now a lot of LED lamps available for the leisure boating fraternity, very important for them as battery power is always at a premium. But they are still pricey, £30 upwards for a navigation light for example.

Colin

stallspeed

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 10:03:13 pm »

Get with the 21st century! <*<
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2009/01/30/45373/white-led-breakthrough-could-lead-to-mass-uk-production.htm

LEDS rather than compact fluorescent bulbs are being touted in more progressive countries.
Just look at your electricity statement to see what you pay per kilowattHour.

The three disconnected 60w spotlights you see cost 2pence/hour to run.They only lit up part of our kitchen and were useless for the work surfaces.I've just fitted eighteen replacement 3 watt leds to solve that dark corner's problem and the leds will pay for themselves in a few months.

The lenses and clips(left photo) hook onto three watt leds(right photo) and are very unobtrusive.

chingdevil

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 10:22:04 pm »

Low energy lamps do not save you energy or the planet, If you turn them on and off the same amount of time you do an incandescent one they most probably will not last any longer their electronics can not take the consitant on/off, they only last longer if you leave them on wasting your electricity. Also they can not be disposed off the same way the older lamps were, they contain mercury, just like flourescent tubes, as soon as they are u/s they must be disposed of as a toxic waste. something else your council can charge you for.

Do not forget if you break one of these new lamps the white dust you see is mercury, it aint good for you.

There are now companies making a lot of money recycling these lamps, so the only thing they are good for is the profits of these companies.

Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 10:25:11 pm »

There is also the point that during the winter, the heat given off by incandescent lamps helps to heat your home so your central heating will save an equivalent amount and the lamps cost you nothing extra.

Colin

stallspeed

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 10:45:03 pm »

Electricity companies squeeze out every penny of profit they can get.They buy equipment based upon the total cost of running the gadgets over their lifetime and not the purchase cost.It is their example we should follow.

It is in winter time that the bulk of cost savings are madein this country.Gas heating is much cheaper than electricity.

Here is the argument in simpler terms courtesy of a recent "red top" headline.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/01/29/led-lights-will-cut-bills-by-75-per-cent-115875-21079319/

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 02:35:20 am »

Here in Ontario the incandescent bulb is being outlawed in 2011. It'll be all funny fluorescents after that. The slow start may not be much for most, but try putting them in your motion detectored security light, or out door porch light and expect them to start quick at -20C.......won't happen. Got time to make a cup of tea before they come up to full brilliance.

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 02:40:23 am »

I had the new bulbs in security lights, with motion detectors, in shanghai.
They died quickly. It may have been the on/off, on/off........ cycle.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Roger in France

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 06:47:15 am »

Slight aside from the topic but also about energy saving.....

Why do governments not ban most of the huge advertising signs made from neon lights? From my house I can see a large supermarket and a DIY "shed", they both have signs just giving their names which must be at least 3m high and 15m long, they burn day and night. This on top of car park lighting which would do a sports stadium proud!

It makes me feel "Why should I bother?". OK so I know that if I and my neighbours economise it would more than pass what the shops could save but if I feel like that then so must many others.

I know that some lighting can be justified on security grounds but not the advertising.

Roger in France.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 08:36:50 am »

All I can say at the moment that I am glad I've got a  supply of 100w bulbs in doors. I was looking at the energy savers and worked out I would need to fit a 19 or 25 one to cover the light from a 100w standard bulb. They have the screw fixture like in Canada to buy one then convert the light socket to screw seemed the best idea.

I'll wait till all the 100w are all gone by then things may have settled down. It reminds me of not buying a new model of car for those that know what I am talking about.

I thought the continent was on a lower voltage than us in the U.K.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 08:56:02 am »

There is also the point that during the winter, the heat given off by incandescent lamps helps to heat your home so your central heating will save an equivalent amount and the lamps cost you nothing extra.

Colin
or you could put an extra jumper on :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 09:27:20 am »

I thought the continent was on a lower voltage than us in the U.K.

Only marginally. In th UK the nominal voltage is 240, on the Continent it is 220 but I think the actual figure fluctuates around those and for most purposes appliances are interchangable. Some parts of the world including the US have 110 volts. That is why portable appliances like shavers and chargers now automatically sense the input voltage and adapt accordingly.

chingdevil

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 09:57:26 am »

Our voltage in the UK was dropped some time ago and we are at 230, I believe it was to make the supply of power from the continent to the UK easier. All appliances we buy now are rated at 230vac.

Brian

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 10:30:40 am »

Hi all, I recently looked at changing over to LED domestic lights.  The 2.3 watt light (runs direct from 240 volt AC) is equivalent to 35 watts output.  Unfortunately they cost over £10.00 each, I don't think you recover the cost in sufficient time to be worthwhile.

W have a recent loft conversion and changed the lights downstairs to match in, I have about 30 GU 10 type ceiling lights all at 50 watts o/p.  They are still a small saving over the incandescent bulbs.
Where we are still left with the old bayonet light fittings (2 places) we have low energy bulbs and it is very obvious too with the low light output.

So in theory we could reduce our lighting power requirement dramatically. BUT I have a fixed price contract with Staywarm and there is no incentive for me to save them money.

I recommend anyone with an over 60 person in the house to check with them as I cannot find an energy supplier who is cheaper.

This company has bulbs etc. on offer, perhaps someone knows where they are cheaper?

http://www.bltdirect.com

I believe that Australia is going over to LED lighting, are the bulbs cheaper there?

regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 10:41:30 am »

Try Holland - great selection of bulbs there.  :}

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 10:50:31 am »

Only light from those bulbs is the colour. Back on course shipmate

Seaspray

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 11:01:01 am »

I think LEDs are only pricey coz they are fairly new. Once manufacutres get the money back from retooling the prices hould come down.

I mean look at LED torches. They give them away as freebies now. A few years ago they was at least a tenner.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 11:22:08 am »

Another bonus, LED lights come on quicker than filament bulbs.

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 11:32:04 am »

A couple of points concerning these b****y lamps.
Everyone is sounding off about them saving you money (or reducing carbon footprint or whatever). If you do the sums for the lamps you will find that, yes, they consume a lower amount of power (in watts) and as you are metered (charged) in terms of kWH you will pay less if you use them. The unseen effect, and one that everyone is keeping very quiet about, is that to achieve this performance the actual electrical load taken from the supply is higher in terms of V.A. In other words, the effect on the individual pocket is reduced but the cost to the generator is most certainly not. There is no such thing as a free lunch and this is most certainly true in the wonderful world of electricty. Reduced carbon footprint? Really? Um, ah, well.....
They have also been found by a number of people to be the cause of health concerns - particularly in the line of eyes / headaches. If you consider that they actually switch off as they follow the supply frequency waveform, the flicker can be very upsetting to some people. Yes, this effect can be reduced by altering the powder coating inside the tube, but it is a stated effect for any type of fluorescent tube. On a personal level, my partner has thrown all the new "high efficiency" lamps out as they were giving her serious eye trouble - and she had this checked by her optician.

Is this whole subject not just another example of "experts" jumping onto the bandwagon to comply with European ideas? The blind being led by the partially sighted?

A footnote: re supply voltages. These were changed (on paper) to comply with the European standards. The actual voltages supplied by the companies are unchanged. After all, who could afford to physically alter every network in the country when we still have areas with non-standard systems in operation after over eighty years of standardised voltages?     
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.