Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Range of sound units.  (Read 9426 times)

pakirk

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.rcmodelworkshop.com
New Range of sound units.
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:18:02 pm »

New Range of sound units.

Our new range of sound units is coming soon.
Before we finalize the design we would like your input.

WHAT SOUNDS DO YOU WANT?

Please post what sound effects you would like.

Regards, Anthony

tugs46

Re: New Range of sound units.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 04:34:07 pm »

How about the sound of a 'real' turdo diesel of say 2500kw., for tugs and such.
The exhaust sounds is what many of us are after, seeings as one doesn't hear the engine noise at all unless one is in the engine room, right?

If you're going to make an accuate recording, then you'll have to spend a little time on the boat deck, near the 'pipes' O0.

Oh...and proportional would be nice too! ;D

Almost all of the sound systems I've heard were very un-realistic, and sound more like a car or bus.

Mike

pakirk

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.rcmodelworkshop.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:05:05 pm »

Hi Mike
We already do a sound unit as you sugested. All our units you can select between engine room or exhaust recordings.
All our units are fully praportional. We do a Large diesel and a large turbo diesel to sute large tugs.

Regards
Anthony

tugs46

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 03:08:33 pm »

Oh.....I never knew :embarrassed: Sorry about that!

Where can I hear a Demo??

Mike

pioneer

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:17:29 pm »

Hi Anthony

Reading this thread with interest. Living in Glasgow I have a particular interest in Clyde and West highland ferries. I've often looked at the various sound systems on offer and they tend not to suit a large ship with variable pitch props or Voith Schneider units. As an example the Gourock to Dunoon ferry 'Jupiter' has two Voith units, one fore and one aft. The units run continuously and even when berthed are nudging the vessel against the berth. When the ship moves away from the berth there is a tonal change in the engine pitch as the weight goes onto the blades and they 'bite'. This tonal change is the only real change in the exhaust sound that can be heard ( along with a cough of darker exhaust fumes! ).

Jupiter's fleet mate the Arran ferry 'Caledonian Isles' has variable pitch props and when berthed the props don't turn. On preparing to leave the berth the engine revs lift as the props engage and maintain a similar exhaust tone until arrival on end of passage. I expect that the power of her engines means there is no discerable change in engine tone to be heard when under way, just the steady increase in revs for around five minutes into the journey. Caley Isles has a distinct exhaust sound, a reasuring soft 'whistle' a quieter version of some old Diesel railway engines.

Is it possible to have a unit which could mimic the exhast sound changes from a constantly running engine? I guess that Voith powered tugs would have the same characteristics, just more powerful sounding.

I have often listened to the ambience of these ships, outside while at sea, exhaust sounds from the funnel, various vents and fans and the distant rumble of the engine room. I have always meant to record the various elements and have a mixed version running on a CD within a model.

Just thought I would add my tuppence worth , interested if anyone has any other views on the V Pitch and Voith sound issue.

I've posted pictures below of the two Calmac ferries mentioned for those not familiar with them, and also my model of Caledonia, a 1:50 scale model of the ex Arran car ferry.

Keep up the good work Anthony, very best wishes as you get your workshop up and runnng.

Regards

Andrew

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 02:05:14 am »

This may sound dumb, but a ships bell.

And maybe a voice with some old time nautical cries.

Then maybe some of the scale saillors can have something new to play with.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 08:09:50 am »

Further to Andrew's post, how about a sound to mimic the change in exhaust note for a deisel electric powerplant? Guess it would be very similar to the voith unit/cp propellor.

How about a slow speed diesel, ie 100 to 150 revs full speed, with air start. Also maybe an opposed piston Doxford/B&W as well?

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 11:48:29 am »

and being able to hear the sounds before we buy    :-))       

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 12:36:44 pm »

Hi Pakirk

How much will they cost?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:16:28 pm »

Hi Pakirk,
What about E.M.D engines with air starters.
If you recall I sent you the sounds a while back.

Destroyer 42

tonysmoke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 10:00:03 pm »

hi all greetings from, jersey   we at the lion park model boat club now have the new sounds in our boats, fantastic, herd them at doncaster 2008,  great sound, great service,
t le b

andyn

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 10:30:46 pm »

How about a sound system we can program from our computer?

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 07:15:08 am »

Do you do any weapon sound effects?
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Snipah

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 01:53:49 am »

Hi guys, new here, can I ask where can I see the range on offer?

I would like turbine / diesel sounds for my NZ Anzac Frigate  :-))

Thanks

Brett

warship1

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 04:10:21 am »

Hi Mate
I beleive this is the web site

http://www.rcmodelworkshop.com

Pat Matthews

• Full Mayhemer
  • Get your boats wet!
    • Matthews Model Marine
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 01:18:53 pm »

Have you had a look at Model Solutions of Canada?
http://www.modelsolutions.ca/

Programmable with your own (multiple!) sounds, can do start up sequence, powerful, great quality (I've installed two of them now, quite happy)...

Pat Matthews
Get Your Boats Wet!
Matthews Model Marine

david.harrison

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 03:09:19 am »

We are now in the final stages of preparing our amazing new SFX6 sound module for production. This unit is the ONLY R/C sound module in the world to play at FULL CD Quality (16 bit/44100 samples/second) and can play any two sounds together at that rate or four sounds together at 16 bit/22050 samples/sec. No compressed MP3 files here. Added to that it supports two fully independent proportional engine sounds for twin engined boats, airplanes, and tanks. Any digital sound you have or can record can be downloaded (by you) to the module. Its extensive Windows PC Application allows you to set-up and configure the many available options. But if you just want to plug and play, it'll do that too - no need to use the PC if you don't want to. Field upgradeable firmware updates and a host of additional features make this a world leader.

See : http://www.modelsolutions.ca/catalog_sound_systems.htm

david.harrison

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 03:52:30 am »

Actually we sold you the best units for your needs that were avaiilable at the time. We have been trying to develop the very difficult dual engine feature for many months and it wasn't until today that we actually succeeded in the development system. I didn't want to keep you waiting for something that may never have happened. It is now May and the start of the boating season, at least in Canada. Our advice to you got you going so you can enjoy sound in your model for the rest of the season as compared to waiting for something that maybe never actually appeared. We still have to get this new device into production so will be at least another 2-3 months down the road before anything actually appears for sale.

This was not a calculated ruse to get more money from you. We had several other customers also waiting for the SFX5.3 units who we could have just as easily sold them to but chose to hold them for you so you could get your project going. In my book that is going out of the way to meet a customers needs and shows good customer service.

david.harrison

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 01:41:47 pm »

Private communications for these sort of customer issues are far more appropriate. Discussing these and flaming companies in public is not what this forum is for.

andyn

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 03:27:27 pm »

Discussing these and flaming companies in public is not what this forum is for.

Actually, I'm glad he has, because others can see what it going on in public and not make the mistake of spending far too much money than what is needed on a reccomendation.

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 03:44:08 pm »

Private communications for these sort of customer issues are far more appropriate. Discussing these and flaming companies in public is not what this forum is for.
Thats not really answering Bunkerbarges question is it.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

barryfoote

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 03:53:46 pm »

I think Model Solutions of Canada need to be very careful here. Customer satisfaction should be their top priority. If it was my company, I would have made an instant public apology and offered to take the goods back, before the customer made the suggestion. That way, I would have turned negative publicity into positive.....Simple really.

What they have chosen to do, will without doubt cost them customers and therefore income!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 03:55:52 pm »

Gents.......as a professional facilitator for contracts within the steel industry here in Port Kembla [Australia] , provides a great overview & aspect of client/customer relationships

So what do I see here?

1) I see a customer who believes & states that he has a valid grievance with a product.....product update pending.......???
2) I see a supplier who has provided in accordance with the clients order & request....so

The only fault I see here is ....that the supplier ....suggests that

"Private communications for these sort of customer issues are far more appropriate. Discussing these and flaming companies in public is not what this forum is for"

My point is simple here ....in that I have no knowledge of the actual circumstances or original purchase, however from my perspective....

'this forum IS  is the ideal medium for members to discuss issues ....be they relative to purchasing goods from supplires'

So 2800 Mayhem members [who are potential customers ] will be the judge ....I will say no more ................ Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

david.harrison

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 03:56:54 pm »

Actually, we had already offered to take the units back and give a full refund, but this had been done in a private communication, not in the public forum. As I said before this forum is not intended to discuss private exchanges and communications. As I learnt from previous exchanges on this forum, it can get toxic very quickly and deteriorate into a moderated for the sake of peace match. Enough is enough already OK? The customer will have his satisfaction.

Rex Hunt

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 04:03:23 pm »

Actually, we had already offered to take the units back and give a full refund, but this had been done in a private communication, not in the public forum. As I said before this forum is not intended to discuss private exchanges and communications. As I learnt from previous exchanges on this forum, it can get toxic very quickly and deteriorate into a "xxxxx" match. Enough is enough already OK? The customer will have his satisfaction.

Spoken like a gentleman......

loaded tx antennas at thirty paces....
Stand back to back
On my count take ten paces ....turn and fire!
 <*<
Endex

:-))
Rex
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.