Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: boilers  (Read 1817 times)

tubby tomo

boilers
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:15:05 pm »

hi all could some  one please tell me the legal PSI for model boat boilers that you don't need a certificate for  {:-{

Proteus

Re: boilers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 07:45:28 pm »

Its not the presure it's the size of boiler.

Proteus

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:50:24 pm »

Splitting hairs a bit, but its both. Litre-bar, pressure times volume, just not sure of the actual numbers involved.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tubby tomo

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:53:14 pm »

hi if its the size would that be how much water the boiler held if so when would you need a cover for insurance one of our club members has a steam boat we want to make sure its covered

MCR

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 10:17:50 pm »

"Small boilers with a capacity not more than 3.0 bar litres are exempted from the requierments "

Proteus

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:49:52 am »

Youill find a lot of model boat boilers are .To give you an example my standard length Proteus Boiler is and thats a reasonable size. but does not hold a vast amount of water because of the size of the fire tube.

the full regs are on Paddleducks web site with a very good discription

Proteus

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:30:04 am »

It depends on your club rules and who you are insured with, and what they advise, for example in the MPBA any boiler (or pressure vessel) not matter what size must have a test certificate. Now if your club follows the Southern Federation (or northern Federation) which is mainly for loco's so testing is a little different, they have the Bar-Litre chart
(also approved by Walker Midgley insurance) It would depend on what size has been approved on the Bar litre chart for not requiring a test.
To calculate:  Total water capacity of the boiler (not the working level)  x Working pressure, ie:
2 pint boiler (1.137 litres) working at 50 psi (3.447 Bar) =3.919, so if the club (or insurance company) defines that any thing less than 3 bar litres does not require a test, then in this example the boiler would require a test.
My personal opion is test all boilers, then you know you are covered
If you need any more info, let me know
Steamed up all the time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.