Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Superbowl l (and other American sports!)  (Read 5845 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
The Superbowl l (and other American sports!)
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:58:37 pm »

I stayed up far too late last night watching the Superbowl 45 - a really excellent game... match.... event?
Real end-to-end stuff, come back kings, under dogs and all that..
... there were some real bad sportsmanship and downright dirty deeds ....

So what the dickens do you have to do to get "sent off" in American Football?!?!?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bee

Re: Superbowl - American Football
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:36:41 am »

Me too, so now not sleepy as my clock is all wrong.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:15:46 am »

So what the dickens do you have to do to get "sent off" in American Football?!?!?

Kill an umpire??  :D

Peter.

PS. There was an Aussie in that game too, the punter for Arizona, first time an Aussie has ever played in a Superbowl. Unfortunately for him, Arizona lost  <:(

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:40:36 am »

Have you guys noticed the complete lack if interest in this thread. American football should be made to change it's name. How can it be called football when by definition that means using your feet!! >>:-(

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:54:11 am »

.... well you know Footski, thought I'd take a punt!  %)   you never know who's in what on here.  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:00:08 am »

Very true Martin, I was just being a little controversial. Mind you, I cannot stand the game, even though I am into most sports...

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:34:53 am »

I remember the good old days in the late 70s when all you could watch on TV on early Sunday evening was Songs of Praise, Stars on Sunday, and some other religious docu/debate show with Malcolm Muggeridge.
Now I have nothing against religion, BUT every channel?

Until Channel 4 came along to save the day, well evening at least, with American Football.
The ratings were high, and teams shot up across the UK.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:08:48 pm »

Apparently a bit of a mis-hap happened in the broadcast in Tuscon for 30 seconds , Big investigation or so the report goes. 

Although I came from the states I do not profess to understand the game at all , however the couple I did go to were very Family orientated.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 01:16:06 pm »

Although I came from the states I do not profess to understand the game at all , however the couple I did go to were very Family orientated.

Big thing about sport in the USA, it is family oriented. And the whole 'day out experience'. I somehow feel that was lost in the UK. Even with the cricket. Sad to say.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 01:21:28 pm »

Big thing about sport in the USA, it is family oriented. And the whole 'day out experience'. I somehow feel that was lost in the UK. Even with the cricket. Sad to say.

Thats true of many sports in the US. Take stock car racing for example. Right from the the local grass roots to the big time NASCAR its a full family event.

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 01:26:38 pm »

I do envy you chaps.
I miss Canada. I was stationed in Alberta in the 80s. Not perfect, but the lifestyle was easy.
And leisure was, well leisure. I used to drive 80 miles to go fishing. But that was not biggie.

The long Build

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 01:27:47 pm »

Went to a few of them as well , my Uncles Brother and his wife used to drag race she had a lovely !! pink one.

Stock car racing well seem to be more shunting than a springer football match, as a Kid it was great fun. %%

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 01:33:26 pm »

There was and interesting piece on 'Newsnight' last night, the NFL (National Football League) is the most successful sports franchise in the worlds, all the wages are capped, the lowest teams in the league have first choice of the new players, profets are to some extent shared between the teams and any team is in with an equal chance of winning the Superbowl. The Superbowl is known as the "billion Dollar game!"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 01:53:27 pm »

In American baseball they have "The World Series" America plus one team from Canada. Says it all about the American outlook really!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 01:57:34 pm »

I used to love the ice hockey. This was a bit more international. Canada, USA, Russian and a smattering of other states.

EDMONTON OILERS RULED. Wayne Gretzky was a god.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 09:57:03 pm »

I don't mind watching highlights of American Football games, but I can't watch for 3 hours or more to see 1 hour of play. I suppose it's what you are brought up with, Americans generally, don't like, or can't understand, cricket.

Peter.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 10:44:35 pm »

The local primary schools to where the scottish claymores played were given lots of free tickets for a child and an adult.
My sister got one and my dad went with her 35minutes and they were on their way home.
he said he had to go and watch paint dry  O0 O0
I think it was because there was not much happening and not knowing the rules {-)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 11:57:05 pm »

SoupBowl?...  ;D

Mushroom or Pea and Ham please...

They are all a bunch of 'woosies' over here... have to wear armour to play rugby and cant drive racing car's in the rain!...

Put the best the USA has to offer against the All Black's and see who goes home to momma crying..  <*<

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 12:28:04 am »

In American baseball they have "The World Series" America plus one team from Canada. Says it all about the American outlook really!

Not trying to defend the US's outlook on the world, but the "World Series" dates back to the early 1900's or late 1800's. A newspaper called "The World" sponsored the game finals in baseball. Hence, the continued name "World Series". Mind you, I do agree it coincides with their outlook on the world.

John

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 12:45:25 am »

Thanks for reminding me John. I knew the "World" in "World Series" did not originally refer to the planet Earth, but could not remember what it was named after. Having said that, the American baseball commentators do refer to the winners of the World Series as "World Champions", when the only countries involved are, as Colin Bishop rightly pointed out, the USA and Canada.

Peter.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 01:52:03 am »

Thanks for reminding me John. I knew the "World" in "World Series" did not originally refer to the planet Earth, but could not remember what it was named after. Having said that, the American baseball commentators do refer to the winners of the World Series as "World Champions", when the only countries involved are, as Colin Bishop rightly pointed out, the USA and Canada.

Peter.

I agree. Goes to show, even the commentators choose to forget the roots of baseball.

John

PT Sideshow

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 02:40:41 pm »

Apparently a bit of a mis-hap happened in the broadcast in Tuscon for 30 seconds , Big investigation or so the report goes. 
The latest is that they think it was sabotage, The cable company said they will give everyone that had seen it $10.00 But what they mean is they will knock $10.00 off the cable bills of anybody that complains and makes sure they take it off the first month's bill after!  <*< As they are a pain to get a refund for non service if the wires go down or the electric goes off. (they want total number of hours and times and dates.) it is prorated by the hour for down time and from the day you contact them to start the service. Go figure  %%

As a disclaimer I state that I have never watched a stupid bowl, since I'm not a stick and ball sport person

I can say that the STUPID BOWL is a bigger pain in the states as it goes on the hype  for six months before it happens and will continue for 3 months till the Baseball season starts!
As to the world series it is called that now because I believe there are more people from countries around the world playing in it than American players!

Hockey is getting to the point that most of the players names can't be pronounced other than by a native to their country of birth.

I try to avoid any all mention of sports but it is impossible in the US As they take precedence over all most everything in the news.

Currently the list seems to as follows:

Sports
Beer
actors,signers etc
sex
God/religion
cars
motorcycles
boats
hunting/fishing
family
job  ok2

Look at what happened to DB and his wifey they brought over to play for some California soccer team. They have shipped him to Italy to help that team out. And don't know what happened to his wife as she disappeared from the news an hour and a half after they landed in LA,LA land %%

As a side note the red bull air races will not take place in Detroit this year! Since they don't have the 2.6 million to pay the host fee. And the pilot and crews complained about the neighborhood the city airport is in. Think the Gaza strip with out the rocket or motor fire but lots of automatic gun fire. The city of Windsor Ont. paid the fee so they will still be in the river but will fly out of Canada, But they want the city to stop free lookers along the water front. To red bull  ;D

I would give the google addy for it but since it doesn't buy or pay google it won't take you to the airport takes you to the center of the city. It is located at Conner st. and Gratiot ave on the cities Eastside above I-94 expressway. But that comes up as no such location. Go figure

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
The Superbowl l (and other American sports!)
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 04:19:33 pm »

Topic name changed.  :-)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 04:23:26 pm »

Currently the list seems to as follows:

Sports
Beer
actors,signers etc
sex
God/religion
cars
motorcycles
boats
hunting/fishing
family
job  ok2

Sorry, you cant mention the S*x subject, they are all puritans over here in the USA.  O0

Jerome Morris

Re: The Superbowl l (and other American sports!)
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 06:43:56 pm »

Man O' Man, You guy's are brutal! The reason for a a football game lasting 3 hours is so we can sit around and drink, have a good time and visit with folks we do not see occasionally.
 We would have no fun if the game only lasted 1 hour, give it a break, Americans like to party and have a good time together.
 Baseball is a slow game for the summer....you can put away a lot of beer on a hot summer day.
 Football is quick....gets the heart pumping...probably from the rum being consumed. but it's cold out and it doesn't hurt to get your body going this time of year.
 So PLEASE, go easy on us. It sure beats the hell out of sitting at home wondering what to do.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.