Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Superbowl l (and other American sports!)  (Read 5797 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: The Superbowl l (and other American sports!)
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 09:10:48 pm »

I enjoyed the whole 'event', even when finished at 3:30 in the morning!
 ( I know a bit about American football, as TT said earlier, Channel 4 TV ran it for several years on a Sunday evening.)
 ( One thing I don't understand is, why is there 150 people from each team on the side lines?!?!  )

It's not just a 60 minute game stretched out for 3 hours.... well it is but it's a whole day family event.
The stadiums cater for individuals, whole families, food, parking with pre and post match entertainment... not much like British
football "soccer" that cost 4 times as much per game! As Stephen Fry said a recent TV series (Stephen Fry in America),
'It's simultaneously, prosperous, incredibility laughable, impressive, charming, ridiculous, expensive, over populated, wonderful..... American!" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcWfSN9eC7A

I thought it was a great game, what did you think Jerome and more importantly, who was you rooting for?!!!!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

PT Sideshow

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 09:44:13 pm »

Man O' Man, You guy's are brutal! The reason for a a football game lasting 3 hours is so we can sit around and drink, have a good time and visit with folks we do not see occasionally.
 We would have no fun if the game only lasted 1 hour, give it a break, Americans like to party and have a good time together.

It still a head scratcher even to Americans when people will pay a lot of money to go to a Detroit Lions game. Year after year( this year they lost 16 out of 16 games the only one in history) and have been the worst team most years than not. And still pay the big bucks to a member of the Ford auto family that owns the team and plays in a public funded stadium. As most are in the US. The fans called for the coach to be fired most ways through the season. If I remember correctly he was fired the next day after the last game. Even with the Lions getting the better picks in the draft each year, all it does is lower that players value when they get a chance to leave.

You will be hearing a lot whining and crying this year about them not being able to put the butts in the seats as last year even with deals for a hot dog, soft drink, souvenir for each seat in package deals of 4 they couldn't fill up the venues.
( One thing I don't understand is, why is there 150 people from each team on the side lines?!?!  )
some pay for the privilege, and you need people to wipe the multi millionaire's faces and hand them water bottles opened when they come off the field.  {-)

Jerome Morris

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 05:33:21 pm »

Martin,   I thought it was a great game as well, It was the type of game that could have gone either way right up to the last 34 seconds. As is said, Football is a game of inches, and that was very true with this game.
 Though the Pittsburgh Steelers were a little dirty with a few plays, Especially when Ben Rostlinberger was rolled over the end zone line by his own guy and the play was ruled a touch down....Not in my book, he's done this before against the Seattle Seahawks, so am surprised the referee's did not keep an eye out for something like that to happen.  I was hoping they would win, that way the Arizona Cardinals will have had a taste of the Superbowl, and play even harder next season, so that they may return to the Super bowl and be over the first time jitters. I'm a true New England Patriots fan, So I would have rather seen the Patriots in the Super bowl, But.....Next year...maybe.
 Anyway, the party we have down in Port Clyde, Maine is a great time in it self. We started at noon, kick off was 6:30, so we were "primed" for a good game. Lots of food and drinking.. What could be better in the middle of winter.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 09:59:20 pm »

Yes a great game but there was no way that Santonio Holmes had both his feet down for that final touchdown!  >:-o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 10:12:44 pm »

As a fan from those Channel 4 Sunday evenings, I too enjoyed the Superbowl, with no particular favourite from the two teams, other than the typical support for the underdog! I didn't have your stamina though Martin, I watched live until midnight, then recorded the rest for viewing later on the Monday. I did make sure that I didn't see/hear the sports news though until I had seen the complete match! My favourite team has always been the Patriots, probably because there is the word England in there, but have not wavered in my support since first learning about the game. My brother supports the Dolphins, but then we can't agree on an English football team either!

Danny

Jerome Morris

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 02:22:21 pm »

I can agree Martin,
 Holmes "may" have had one foot touching the field, I do not believe he had both feet touching the field before he was out of bounds. the replays are vague at best.
 And as we always say.....GO PATRIOTS! in '09

Captain Jack

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 08:21:11 am »

You Brits are SOOOOOO off base here! We watch the game for the commercials (advertisements)! At 3 million dollars U.S. for a thirty second advert, they had better be very entertaining, and they usually are. O0

steamboatmodel

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 04:25:15 pm »

If you want to watch real Football, you have to watch the CFL (Canadian Football League) and the Gray Cup. Non of this four tries for 10 yards, only three. Go Argos
Regards,
Gerald

Bee

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 05:02:04 pm »

Stuff football - the CRICKET is on.  %%

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 05:43:06 pm »

You Brits are SOOOOOO off base here! We watch the game for the commercials (advertisements)! At 3 million dollars U.S. for a thirty second advert, they had better be very entertaining, and they usually are. O0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g1QkjU3APs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GprriwKhQw
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.