Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bowsprit and mast for gaff rig - what to use?  (Read 5416 times)

judithbull

Bowsprit and mast for gaff rig - what to use?
« on: April 09, 2009, 07:15:09 pm »

Hello all, I am new to the forum and just starting on a new build - the Morecambe Bay prawner from Waverley Models. It is a 44" GRP hull with gaff cutter rig, and my first venture into scale sail. Can anyone tell me what is best to use for mast and bowsprit - softwood dowel or hardwood tapered to size? The plans are quite vague. I also need to make a gammon iron, probably from brass strip, but am not sure how tight a fit it should be on the bowsprit.
The mast will need to fold down if the boat is to fit in my car. Any suggestions on how to do this, if possible with photos or drawings?
Any help very much appreciated.
Thanks
Judith

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
Re: Bowsprit and mast for gaff rig - what to use?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:39:17 pm »

Hello Judith,

All your Masts and Spars, MUST be made from Hardwood.
The Gammon Iron has to be a good tight fit onto the Bowsprit.
Removable Masts and Rigging are dealt with on my website, in the section "To build a Schooner"

Welcome Aboard !!.

John.
www.john-dowd.co.uk
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

MCR

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:52:30 pm »

Second Johns comments on the mast material (by the way it was his model at Ellesmere port a number of years ago which got me back into the hobbie).
Could I recomment a couple of excellant books?
"Sailing Ships" by Martin Becker The modellers world series
"Scale sailing models" by P.V Williams The modellers world series

judithbull

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 07:38:06 pm »

Thanks to both for your help. I'll be asking again when I get a bit further. I enjoyed your website John. we come down to Lancashire regularly visiting family so I will try to get along to Southport or Fleetwood when I can.
Judith

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:15:21 pm »

Picture of my plank on frame Prawner (not built by myself I hasten to add) in action today.

This is the original one that Waverley Models built their plug from to make their GRP hulls.

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:46:54 pm »

Hello BlueWotsit,

What good photo!, just had a look on Google Maps to see where you are.
That is one big Lake there, its salt water filled up at high Tide I think.
How deep is the water when the lake is full?.
Is the lake just for model boats, or do they have Hire boats as well.

John.  :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:43:48 pm »

High tide doesnt always flood the lake, but we have a bit of a leak problem on the seawall side at present which is a bit of a pain - although supposedly repairs are imminent.

Its a public lake so we get the odd swimmer, canoe club and dogs in the water but they dont cause any major problems. Fortunately no hire boats are around.

Depth on the edge usually is about 12 inches from where we launch, going out to about 10 foot in places I guess. The lakes probably getting on for 200 yards long and if the wind is in the right quarter we can sail to all points.

judithbull

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:12:57 am »

Hello BlueWotsit
It looks a lovely model. Do you have a fold down mast on yours, if so how do you make the folding bit without compromising stability when sailing? I am still at the early stages of building the deck frames, but trying to visualise what comes next.
Thanks
Judith

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 08:42:32 am »

Hi Judith

This can be folded down, but I tend to only drop the top sail and fold in the bow sprit as it fits in my car fine like that.

The easiest method I use for a drop down mast I listed elsewhere once before but cant find it on here at the moment.

Basically

1. Fit a wooden block support at the bottom of the hull on the inside, with a bit of piping (copper tube or similar) large enough for the mast to fit into snugly but not rigid.

2. Into the piping place a spring with a wood cap on top of it to give a springy tension. It also pays to fit a pin through the pipe just above the cap to use as a locator

3. Design the main mast length so that it fits down onto this spring cap.

4. Step cut the mast about an inch to inch and a half, or so above deck level.

5. Put another piece of piping/tube through the decking to support the lower portion of mast - only needs to protrude enough to help support and keep water out - usually about 1/2 inch works.

6. Cut a 1/2 inch deep notch in the bottom of the lower mast, this then locates over the pin in the spring bit - if you fit together you will see how you gain movement of the lower portion of mast by depressing it.

7. All that remains is to have a piece of pipe or similar to fit over the lower bit of mast where it comes through the deck and also wide enough to go over the pipe going through the decking,  and high enough to go over the top bit of the mast where it is step cut to hold the two bits of mast together. Usually dependent on where you cut the step this need not be more than two inches long.

8. A removeable pin through this bit of pipe and into / through the main mast holds firmly in place.

9. To fold down - remove the pin, slide the outer pipe upwards and tilt the top portion of mast at the step joint. Ensure you have enough movement in your rigging to allow it all to fold down.

Hope this helps

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.