Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip to England  (Read 2009 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Trip to England
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:41:36 am »

Gerry George (ggeorge) and I are coming over to England for a three week trip from the last week in August and the first two weeks in September. We will be based in Didcot (Oxfordshire) area, but will be traveling around. We were wondering if you folks can enlighten us as to what clubs are in the area we can visit or regattas we can see etc.
  High on our list is Chatham and Portsmouth, but are certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help
John

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: Trip to England
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:15:40 pm »

If you are not confining yourselves to boats and want to see railway modelling at its finest, then a visit to the Pendon Museum, at Long Wittenham (about 3 miles from Didcot), is well worth while.

http://www.pendonmuseum.com/index.jsp

Rick

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 12:28:19 pm »

If you are not confining yourselves to boats and want to see railway modelling at its finest, then a visit to the Pendon Museum, at Long Wittenham (about 3 miles from Didcot), is well worth while.

Rick

Rick:
  Thanks for the tip. I'm also a railway, and particularly a live steam modeler. Gerry confines himself to boats, but appreciates all modeling. I've been to Pendon before and its certainly worth the trip again. Fantastic modeling there. I'll certainly have to take Gerry over to see it.

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:13:20 pm »

Hi Oldiron
If the pound is still in the doldrums it could be worthwhile doing a lot of shopping.

I will be doing some shopping soon before the pound pick up again.

Last year USD2 = 1 GBP
Now USD 1.40 = 1GBP = 1.78 CAD
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:17:34 pm »

Hi Oldiron
If the pound is still in the doldrums it could be worthwhile doing a lot of shopping.

I will be doing some shopping soon before the pound pick up again.

Last year USD2 = 1 GBP
Now USD 1.40 = 1GBP = 1.78 CAD

Yeh, I know what you mean. I went to the bank the other day and picked up a bunch of travelers cheques in sterling. I didn't want to wait until August. My luck the pound will be back up to the roof again if I had waited.
  Can't wait to it the good boat and model engineering stores.  I've got to stock up on BA nuts and bolts for my live steam project.

John

wideawake

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:15:05 pm »

Rick

Rick:
  Thanks for the tip. I'm also a railway, and particularly a live steam modeler. Gerry confines himself to boats, but appreciates all modeling. I've been to Pendon before and its certainly worth the trip again. Fantastic modeling there. I'll certainly have to take Gerry over to see it.

John

Unless you've been there before then how about  http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/ the Swindon steam museum, dedicated to God's Wonderful Railway.   Not far from Didcot.

Guy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:28:52 pm »

The Swindon museum is very good.
I am not a steamy and I can still say this. In the same compound is a museum of geographic info. Also very interesting, with loads of aerial photography that dates back to the early days of aerial photography. It is amazing to see how much my/your hometown has changed, and why?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.