Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: hi all just joined looking for some help  (Read 7353 times)

gwa84

hi all just joined looking for some help
« on: February 03, 2009, 03:14:49 pm »

i use to run electric rc speed boats a long long time ago these where just cheep kits that really didn't go very fast

i have decided to build my own rc nitro boat using a 12 rc air cooled car power plant scavenged from a wrecked rc 4weel of roader i had

I've got myself a prop shaft and universal joint to fit the motor and ime working on a water cooling coil to help with cooling the cylinder

but my main problem is what prop to use any tips on what to get I'm uk based so ebay is my friend at the moment for parts

hope you can help

gwa84

dan

Re: hi all just joined looking for some help
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:37:35 pm »

hi gwa84.
there are lots of people on this forum that will be able to help you,

i haven't got much experience from past power boats but i have had a crack at building a fast electric model. Personally i wouldn't use ebay to buy the parts unless your absolutely sure about what your buying. i would have a look at some of the products at
http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=4612e92c1b39da36c9a2251d712a1741
and if you get stuck you can always contact them.

Ps what sort of model is it, hydroplane, Deep V hull etc.....

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:24:47 pm »

Hi There. I am making a Zclass 12 size engine boat. I am going to try out a 35mm prop on it. I am useing a sumerged drive system. Props can be got from the Prop shop which are on the web.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

gwa84

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:31:23 pm »

hi thanks for replying another set of bookmarks to brouse over lol

ill try a 35 mm prop the one that came with the prop shaft kit has a 55 mil prop mesured from tip to tip so i asume way way to big lol
\
eny body have an idea of where to get a good v hull from ideally ime doing this on the cheep hence using what i can salvage

ille upload photos of the motor and prop shaft so you can c what ime talking about when i can fined my digi cam

dan

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 06:39:59 pm »

again the wesite i gave above has a few deep V hulls  :-))

gwa84

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:17:34 pm »

had a look on the web site couldn't fined eny suitable well their say suitable for fast electric spotted this do you think it would be eny good i like the shape and should be the right size for my needs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220355050448

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:37:41 pm »

had a look on the web site couldn't fined eny suitable well their say suitable for fast electric spotted this do you think it would be eny good i like the shape and should be the right size for my needs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220355050448
Yes that looks OK for multi hull racing.  Do have a look on the OMRA web site, http://www.omra-uk.org/. Go into the bits & pices section/ Sales Wanted. Right at the bottom you will find a deep vee hullfor £28.00. If you go for this it means you will be able to race it OMRA  Zclass races. Loads & Loads of fun!
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

gwa84

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:49:22 pm »

hi ive emailed the guy hope he replies those hulls look awesome do you have a rough guide on what's legal and not legal in that class of racing the dummy's guide really lol

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:01:34 pm »

Z Class Omra boats must be 12 size engine standard. or Modified on a gearbox.  If I remember all the rules are on the OMRA site under the rule section. There is loads of stuff which if you want to race you need to stick to. However Z class is suppose to be a Budget class boat, and therefore a dam good place to start and maybe move up to bigger boats.  Heres two Pics of my boats. The Red one is OMRA D class. That has got a 26cc petrol engine in it.
Where abouts are you from? 
All the best

andyn

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:03:20 pm »

Also on the OMRA site is a fellow who will make a water cooled head for your engine, I'm afraid coiling around the head does not work very well.

gwa84

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 10:08:27 pm »

cool ime from hull east Yorkshire ill check that guy out about a water cooling head

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:36:05 pm »

You will also need to buy a flywheel for that car motor,marine motors need them to keep ticking over unlike on a car,also means you can remove the pullstart and go to using the starter belt system asuming you have an electric starter  :-).
Mart

gwa84

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 10:46:21 pm »

ime going to stick with the pull start for naw lol nice and easy their is a fly wheel already on the car motor that the clutch attached to ive left that in place to allow for idling

gwa84

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:14 pm »

could anybody point me in the right direction for a good engine pats mods accessory web site pleas

andyn

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 12:13:44 am »

No need to mod it at all, you'll just put extra stress on it. The flywheel on it won't do im afraid, you need the threading of the engine shaft for the coupling to attach to, clutch assemblys have an extender with no thread on it. New flywheels are quite cheap.

gwa84

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 12:53:25 am »

hi i meant for  flywheels and things not so much tuning

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 11:02:05 am »

As Andy said you need a marine flywheel,the extra meat on them keeps the motor spinning so you can throttle down without the motor stalling on you.Thats wether you wanna use pull start or not makes no difference.If you ran a car motor as is it would go fine at full whack but would have no low to mid range and would stall.You can get them made by that guy who makes the heads or you can search ebay you might find one.Some marine motors have clutches though as on the nitro vee so they dont need a flywheel.
Mart

BJ

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 11:43:37 am »

but my main problem is what prop to use

gwa84

As a guide, this chart was part of the 1992 catl from Prop Shop.
You may prefer to use DOG drive props from someone like Octura or a similar maker.
ALWAYS balance your props before running your boat.

andyn

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 02:35:02 pm »

Only use dog drive if it is surface drive, and only use a dog drive on surface drive

If it is submerged drive, use a nut in front of the prop tightened onto the front of the prop

gwa84

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 10:36:51 pm »

picked up a hull today going cheep haven't got a clew haw good it is eny thoughts it is a "shadow" by SHG  it has the prop shaft already mounted but needs rudder and engine mounts its been painted more times then Blackpool tower tho so needs work

eny ideas on motor size needed for this

might be considering getting another motor as it looks like its going to be cheaper then retrofitting this car one

ime waiting for a reply from the peeps about that other hull and water cooling head

andyn

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 10:41:18 pm »

gwa84

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 10:51:01 pm »

cool so not bad buy then got it for 15 quid

andyn

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 11:01:32 am »

Yeah thats a very good buy :-))

You have an engine for it yet?

Probably looking at something like a Nova MX15 for that hull

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 05:28:04 pm »

I've got an old enya 15 (marine) water cooled that you could have, that should do it (a little practice with a starting cord, or install a starting belt) PM me if you are interested, if you let me know what the thread is on your shaft and I'll make you a coupling.   :-))
Steamed up all the time

gwa84

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 02:34:09 am »

no not got an engine yet

ive sent you a pm phil looking around the web they are very good reliable engines so would be a great intro my first ic boat
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.