Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairmile type D MTB  (Read 10138 times)

flag-d

Fairmile type D MTB
« on: April 15, 2006, 11:18:27 pm »

Below is a shot of MTB 778, a late war (c 1944) Fairmile type D combined MTB/MGB.  She was close to being finished here (no guns in port gun tub and half her crew AWOL!) and is closer now.  Took around a year to build from plans (John Lambert), hull (Kingston Mouldings), fittings (Precision Controls).  Uses 4 Graupner speed 500's, wired as pairs from a pair of mTronik Marine 15 ESC's and Robbe F14 r/c gear.  Runs on a pair of 6V gel-cells giving around 30 mins action.  Not a bad turn of speed, close to scale (maybe?!).  Recently added JJC Electronics' Packard sound modules and speaker.

Photo from 1st sea trials.  Latest trials were in a force 6 (gusting 7): a little hairy, especially beam on to the sea, but impressive heading into the waves: no photos though (next time I'll fit a memory card, Doh!)

Mike

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

flag-d

Fairmile type D: Build Diary
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 10:46:40 pm »

Parts 1, 2 and 3...

Mike

flag-d

Re: Fairmile type D MTB
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 10:55:18 pm »

Parts 4, 5 and 6 (Bored yet?  You will be, this is less than half way so far!)

Mike

flag-d

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 11:04:24 pm »

Parts 7, 8 and 9 (I told you you'd be bored!)

Mike

flag-d

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 11:06:55 pm »

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  Parts 10, 11 and 12 (Can someone make him stop please?  Apparently this isn't even half way yet!)

Mike

Warship

• Full Mayhemer
  • Enjoying my Retirement.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 11:52:20 pm »

Quite an impressive half hours reading there Mike and you have put alot of work into it. Well done. ;D

Regarding your F14 transmitter, I bought one of these and to be honest, for what they cost, I don't reckon much to them.
For a start, on a transmiter of this price, you expect not to have to open the back to get to the channel reversing switch, it should be accessable from the front.

I don't use mine any more and use a Futuba 6EXA 6 model memory transmitter 40 FM. aimed mainlly for the model aircraft fraternity. This is one hell of a gadget which once set up, there is nothing to touch it. You can expand on it if you want more channels and it has a mixing facility which is handy for models with loads of gadgets like rudder controled motors etc. You can link it to another 6EXA via a plug in extension, so you can pass over control to a second person, ( your Officer of the Watch lol)by using the flight training switch, works for boats as well. and switch back to (Captain) again.
This? transmitter can be purchased separately for ?55? or ?135 for the whole set up with receiver and four servo,s as against the F14s ?180 price Tag. I think as it was designed for Robbe, Futuba have bumped up the price. I'm not saying it is crap, but up against the 6EXA it's no comparison.
I can now run six different models from the one transmitter at the flick of a switch and crystal change, your all set up to go.

Okay it's not state of the art as far as the new Digital stuff, but for the price will take some beating.

Warship.
Ambition. To have my own Model Navy
before I pop my cloggs.

Presently building Aircraft Carrier H.M.S. Victorious in 1/96 scale.

flag-d

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 07:59:12 pm »

Hi Warship

I agree about the F14...now!  For that kind of money, I think it's very plasticky and yes, I agree wholeheartedly about the reversing switch.  Still, I have what I have and I'll use it for the time being.  Thanks for the kind words about my 'waffle'.

Mike

flag-d

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 09:15:57 am »

Parts 13, 14 and 15...

Mike

Warship

• Full Mayhemer
  • Enjoying my Retirement.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 10:39:26 am »

Very well put together Mike. It is a good idea to put it all on a Word Doccument, something that I might do with my builds. I have all the info I need,so a few hours transfering everthing to Word, will enable me to print out and save as a manual.

I reckon your choice of Humbrol paints is as close as you can get it. Look forward to your next update. ;D

Warship
Ambition. To have my own Model Navy
before I pop my cloggs.

Presently building Aircraft Carrier H.M.S. Victorious in 1/96 scale.

flag-d

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 10:46:47 am »

Parts 16 to 18 (Nearly finished now!)

Mike

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 11:22:18 am »

Hi Mike, glad to see the great job you have done there.....
A friend of mine helds the MTB777, as his father served as a commander on that boat.
The do a pretty hell on the water!

J?rg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

flag-d

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 01:22:58 pm »

Parts 19, 20 and 21

Mike

flag-d

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 08:43:20 am »

Parts 22, 23 and 24 (The end is near, you'll be glad to hear!)

Mike

flag-d

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 11:50:21 pm »

Below is a montage of stills taken from video of MTB778 undergoing 'rough weather' sea trials.  Apologies for the quality.  'Read' them as 2 columns, each photo in sequence.  After about 20 mins running, she'd shipped about a cupful of water which wasn't too bad considering the waves she was driving into.  I may have to consider a bilge pump as a mod!  Wind was around a force 6, gusting 7 at times :o

Mike

dannymax

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 11:47:12 am »

Looks good heading into the waves....would love more photos of details of the finished model..

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 11:55:09 am »

Below is a montage of stills taken from video of MTB778 undergoing 'rough weather' sea trials.? Apologies for the quality.? 'Read' them as 2 columns, each photo in sequence.? After about 20 mins running, she'd shipped about a cupful of water which wasn't too bad considering the waves she was driving into.? I may have to consider a bilge pump as a mod!? Wind was around a force 6, gusting 7 at times :o

Mike

If you go to www.kingstonmouldings.com you can see all of the original flag-d videos in their entirety, and with the original sound effects. Great stuff!
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 11:02:21 am »

Hey Flag I have been looking through you build and I am quite impressed to the point I have placed an order for a similiar boat, one thing I noticed is in your build you appear to have not posted all the numbers yet you do say that they are there, can you check on that for me please>>>

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

ambernblu

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 11:30:12 am »

OK - seen the video - brilliant! These boats seriously have to be the bee's whatsits - Flag, thats a great job of it - looks absolutely cool!

... now I want one... and I want one now!!

flag-d

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 11:01:28 pm »

Seems to be a problem with posting the build diary parts.? If anyone really cannot sleep and wants to read the lot, mail me.  Use this address: mike.gardiner@heatric.com and you're more likely to get a reply!  I'll mail you by return, all zipped up so it doesn't trash your mailbox limits.

Mike

If I ever get mt website done, I'll post it all there too - there really won't be any way of avoiding me at all - together with 100's of photos too!

flag-d

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 03:23:08 pm »

If anyone has emailed me at the address in the above post and not received a reply, then please re-send it, but put 'fairmile' somewhere in the subject line as my work junk mail filter has been awfully keen of late and been chucking out all sorts of stuff which I'd really prefer it not to!

Apologies

Mike

flag-d

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 11:22:09 pm »

I've finally found the right prop combination for MTB 778.  They are Prop Shop's scale 3 bladed 38mm's, 2 x LH and 2 x RH.  I've tried 35mm Rivabo's, 40mm Graupner (plastic, yuk!) and 45mm Rivabo's.  The Prop Shop items seem just right, giving me good speed and good duration with no motor heating problems.

Mike

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 11:44:12 pm »

Mike,
I do like the look of her.
I am changing my fleet somewhat to slightly smaller, but larger scale.
I have the Denny Steam Gunboat, and am looking to the "Dog" Boats.
One small concern though is your running time, is there enough ballast to add further batteries, or are they the main ballast?

Thanks

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.