Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first Build : Drumbeat of Devon  (Read 8435 times)

Bwian

My first Build : Drumbeat of Devon
« on: February 05, 2009, 05:05:26 pm »

I am new to this forum and didn't take many photos as i was building this model, I have put together the ones I have.
I was asked to post them showing the Fiber optics i used, so here goes.....

Kit arrives, excitement sets in  :-))

Props and motors installed, so far, so good

Controllers, Radio and servo in, going good

The deck goes on (I've only just started painting the deck, so it looks bad at the moment, its the first coat)

the 1st Inflatable compleat with working lights (you can just see the wiring)

The bridge is assembled and in place

Inside the bridge

Inside the bridge with the fibre optics turned on

It was only after taking these pictures i noticed the red LED had not lit, but you get the idea.

The lights when dark (I'm not sure if they are too bright, comments would be appreciated)

Side view of the fibre optics

Side view of the fibre optics in the dark

the fibre optic spaghetti junction. This is not finished yet, i need to make it all light proof when its finished.

The cabin lights when dark

This is where i am up to, Just waiting for the Radar motor and i can finish the wiring.

As I said, this is my first build, any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking
Tony.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My first Build : Drumbeat of Devon
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 05:18:03 pm »

Nice work Bwian,

Really sorry, but you HAVE to tell us how you did the fibre optics, where you get them from, how you mount them, different colours ... in fact everything about them.  :-))

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

andyn

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 06:02:22 pm »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Funtime-Starlight-Fibre-Optic-Lamp/dp/B000WY1SSC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1233856823&sr=1-1

Get a cheap and cheerful one and lop the fibres off at the base with a large knife or sharp scissors. Do it in one cut or you'll end up with small strands everywhere that like to dig into your skin and stay there. For colouring just get clear Tamiya acrylics and paint on each end. You can also buy it pre coloured, and can buy the stuff by the meter from Component Shop.

Model looks great!

Bwian

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:11:07 pm »

Nice work Bwian,

Really sorry, but you HAVE to tell us how you did the fibre optics, where you get them from, how you mount them, different colours ... in fact everything about them.  :-))

Ian

Hi,
I got the fibres from here http://www.lite-tec.co.uk/fibrepacks.htm I bought 'Option 1' Its the 64 strand optic you really want, carefully remove the outer sheath and you have 64 x 1 meter lengths, I only used about a quarter of them on this boat.

To mount them you need a VERY small drill bit, I bought a micro drill bit set off a market stall and used my hobby knife handle to hold the bit, it was thiner than a pin and i snapped a couple. The drill bit set only cost a couple of quid, so i bought 2.

Drill the hole, feed the optic through and put a drop of superglue on the back.
(Leave about 5-10mm sticking out. And don't trim them until you have finished painting the model.)

Group the colors together and bind them, i used ordinary cotton, then super-glued them. Then trim the end to make it clean.

To make the LED adapter, i used kitchen foil, find a piece of dowel the same diameter as the LED and wrap the foil around it to make a sturdy tube, then cut 10-15mm lengths. Glue one end to the LED and insert the fibers in the other, then using cotton again, wrap it aound the fibre end crushing the foil tight on the fibre optic. Glue it up and its ready.

I used the 'ultra bright' LED's to light them, I got them from Maplin. But i may change them to the normal strength ones..

And thats it.

I got the idea from a kit i was bought may years ago of the Startrek Enterprise, it came with a fibre optic set. It took ages to buid, but looked stunning.

Also...
Don't be tempted to buy cheap fibre optic, or strip and old fibre optic lamp, they snap very easy, been there, done that {:-{

Hope this helps.
Tony

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:15:24 pm »

Very neat build. Wish the innards of mine looked like yours. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

awvs

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:11:58 pm »

Congratulations, great build.
Best
Wilhelm

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:38 pm »

brilliant stuff, tony. :-))
where abouts in lancs are you,
neil.

Bwian

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 08:58:12 pm »

brilliant stuff, tony. :-))
where abouts in lancs are you,
neil.
I'm over Burnley way, we have a static caravan over your way, in Lytham.
I got this boat with the intentions of taking it to Fairhaven Lake if you know it ok2

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 09:55:15 pm »

Hi Bwian and Neil,
 Although now resident in Dorset, maternal connections exist with Lancs. Mum was born in Burnley (1913) brought up in Fleetwood, moved to Surrey, but returned to Ansdell after Dad's death, until she died on this date in 1989. Fond memories of Fleetwood lake and of Fairhaven, last visit three years ago (both lakes!) Your boat looks great Bwian, and thanks for the fibre optics teach-in, may try that in future boats, I like to see mine illuminated.

Danny

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 02:13:48 am »

Great Job Bwian.
Fibre optics are possibly something that can really benefit model boaters.

BTW I got some fibre optic cable from Model Power.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

harrin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 07:34:44 am »

Hi, nice work. Have you tried sailing? I'm little concerned about point of gravity and I'd try to find lower position for batteries. Just a suggestion. I've also built the model (can be seen here) and it was quite top heavy until I made some modifications.

nhp651

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 08:45:12 am »

know it very well tony,
 I  used to drive and operate Lancashire county Council Mobile library service around the South fylde for about 10 years, and regularly parked at Fairhaven Lake for my lunch and an ice cream from the little hut at Grannie's bay............ahh fond memories, and the most wonderfull job I ever had. :(( >:-o %) :-))
It beat my 22 years teaching into a cocked hat. {-) {-) {-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 11:52:05 am »

Thanks for showing us, Bwian.

It did come out rather well didn't it?  I'm sure your guide will be of benefit to us all. I'm certainly going to have a go, as I've had the 'optics' for a while now. I must admit I never thought of an LED for the source. Very good and economical on the battery.

The brightness is a problem with modelling due to the scale of things, so your idea of a weaker supply lighting source is good.

Hope to see you at the "Mayhem Bash" and you can join the 'night sail'

Thanks for that

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Jerome Morris

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 02:26:34 pm »

Man, I like the fiber optics, thats just to real looking

Bwian

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 12:31:44 pm »

I have put a guide on installing fibre optics in the 'Tutorials & "How To’s" ...' section of the forum.
Hope its ok and helps anyone interested. ok2
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15383.0

Tony

Richard M

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 12:41:48 pm »

Hi Bwian

Drumboat is my first attempt as well. I am envious of your neatness, something for me to aspire to next time. I was a bit nervous when the lady at Model Slipway told me that it is one of their harder kits but so far so good, I am at about the same stage as you. I have also heard that C of G is an issue and that the weight must be positioned as low as possible. Does anyone know how much additional ballast is likely to be needed over and above the usual running gear and batteries?

As a beginner my biggest issue is when to paint. If you paint too early it is hard to glue additional sub assemblies, if you glue too late then it is almost impossible to get good spray coverage, any thoughts anyone?

Richard M

dan

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 01:13:03 pm »

hi Richard,
i tend to do what Bwain appears to be doing, i paint the main parts (i.e. the hull, superstructure, deck) as i go along.then i paint the smaller bits of detail before sticking them down. i stick them down once i have given final coats to the main parts. For me this results in a neater paint job. Ive never had any problems sticking a peace down onto of paint. hope this helps.

Richard M

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »

Hi Dan

Thanks, what adhesives do you use?

Richard

hollowhornbear

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 09:53:51 am »

could you repost the pics they seem to have con astray, just picked up a drumbeat and am lokking for ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.