Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charger Problem?  (Read 2728 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Charger Problem?
« on: February 02, 2009, 12:58:16 pm »

I have a 5 AA cell 2400 mAh 6volt pack which I am trying to charge using a Delta Peak charger bought from Component shop. This is supposed to show a red led whilst charging, and a green one when charged. It works like this for a 6 cell/7.2v pack, but when I try to charge the 6 volt pack, the red light comes on for a few seconds then goes out and nothing appears to happen. The pack voltage after being left on the charger for a few hours is 6.42v.

Is the pack or the charger faulty?

Barrie

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Charger Problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:54:10 pm »

Hi Barrie,
Is the pack already fully charged? I have a new charger, which switches back to trickle  within seconds if I try to give a charged battery a top up, although my older chargers take a few minutes to switch over to trickle.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:10:42 pm »

Hi Barrie

Which one of the Delta Peak chargers is it ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:16:12 pm »

Hi barrie give Ian a ring and he will sort it out for you

Stav

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:17 pm »

Hi,
from what you have said it appears that the pack has dropped below the lower level of charge that the charger can detect automatically. ( presuming the pack is not prehistoric and abused )

If you set the charger to a smaller battery pack size ie for 6 volt pack it is normally set to 5 cells, you should set it to 4 cells and charge it as normal

BUT ONLY FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME SAY 5 MINS.

Then stop the charge and re set to the correct cell pack size, this will overide the auto cell detect on the charger and should bring the pack up to below its lower level the charger will now detect this and should charge as normal.

When charged re-cycle the pack a few charge and discharge times to ensure that the pack is in good condition.

This should sort the pack out, It has worked for me , and I was advised to do this by Ian when I had the prob and everything is ok. :-))

Just try and keep the packs charged and don't let them drop too low on storage.

Regards Sub.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:55:47 am »

Thanks guys.

This is a new pack bought from Component Shop via FLJ as Ian was out of stock. The charger also came from Component Shop. The pack hasn't been used - I charged it on receipt and was using it to set up my Fireboat, but after a couple of minutes going forward/reverse (on the bench) it wouldn't drive the motor, so I decided to charge it.

I will try Sub Driver's trick although the voltage is 6.42v. If that doesn't work it will have to wait until I get back from NZ O0

Barrie

I should add that the charger charges my 7.2volt pack OK - tried it after failing to charge the 6volt.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 10:04:23 am »

Barriew.

Yep, sounds like the 6v pack is way down should be well above 6 v when fully charged.
Regards.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 05:09:42 pm »

Well, I think the problem was that the pack WAS charged, but the charger didn't recognise this  {:-{

I used the pack to run a small motor or an hour or so, enough to drop the voltage of the pack to about 5.5volts, then put it back on charge. Its still charging now - at least the red light is on. Will have to wait and see if the charger switches off when the pack is fully charged. 

Barrie

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 08:32:51 pm »

barriew,
A fully charged 6v nimh pack when just off the charger should be about 7.3/5 volts for your info mine are with the same charger, it will then settle down above 6 v, maybe the short run on the bench test dropped it down below 6v ? anyhow. hopefully it will be ok, if it chargers i would cycle it a few times  :-))

regards sub.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 09:35:15 am »

barriew,
A fully charged 6v nimh pack when just off the charger should be about 7.3/5 volts for your info mine are with the same charger, it will then settle down above 6 v, maybe the short run on the bench test dropped it down below 6v ? anyhow. hopefully it will be ok, if it chargers i would cycle it a few times  :-))

regards sub.

The red light eventually went off but the green one didn't come on. However, it is fully charged I believe. I will run it for a while again and charge again. Running short of time before I go away.

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.