Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting railings  (Read 2943 times)

AlanP

Painting railings
« on: February 06, 2009, 08:54:05 pm »

The railings are of brass and I am unsure how to paint them, do I need to use an etching primer or will ordinary undercoat do before the gloss coat
I would like to keep them polished but my other half refuses   ok2

Regards Alan

dan

Re: Painting railings
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:03:56 pm »

i would try primer first, when i painted the railings on my tug, the paint just wouldnt stick

Capt Podge

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:15:40 am »

I've only built one boat with brass handrails - I found roughing them up with fine wet 'n dry (used dry) gave the paint a surface to adhere to.  O0

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 09:39:16 am »

I've painted a lot of brass, railings and otherwise, and I've found this works. Get them very clean to begin with, then give a coat of etching primer. If you can, place them in the oven at about 200Deg F for 30 minutes. Let cool and spray with your final colour. Put back in the oven again for about 30 minutes at the same temperature. Remove and let cool. This should give you a good durable surface.
  If you can roughen them a little as Captn Podge suggests, that can help the situation. However, its not always possible nor desirable to do it on all brass surfaces.
  If ggeorge sees this he'll have a comment or two to make about one of my previous baking escapades.   %)

John

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 10:59:06 am »

I do hope that you are putting it in the oven when YOUR GOOD LADY IS OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or is it a case of SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Stav

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 12:18:38 pm »

I just sprayed the stanchions and rail on my boats with acrylic primer. They still look good after 6 years but that boat hasn't been out in the water much. Just lucky I guess.

I hated to spray them as they looked so good in brass.

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 04:01:28 pm »

See thumbnails below (hope message is legible)
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 04:11:50 pm »

This note should have preceeded the fotos that appeared on my first posting. Apologies to those who are wondering  'what's going on!'

"As an alternative to painting/spraying brass rod why not try the following method which I’ve found to be very successful and scale like in appearance:-

(1) Look in your local model shop for 1.2mm white plastic coated wire with a fine piano wire core.

(2) Bend to shape and fix in position by applying a minute dab to the wire where it enters a stanchion (this can be at desired intervals rather than at every stanchion). If using pliers, pad the jaws with masking tape to prevent the jaws scuffing the plastic.

(3) If joining together two lengths where the joint cannot be concealed,     pare off approx 2 – 3mm of plastic sleeving from each of the ends to be joined thereby exposing the piano wire, remove approx  5mm sleeving from a spare piece of wire and slip this sleeve over both ends of the  exposed wire. Wipe the joint with a dab of MikMek and, hey presto, the joint disappears.

Use of this method, whilst some may consider to be ‘fiddly’, eliminates the need for painting if white rails are required and provides for a much finer profile, and more realistic ‘satin’ finish than can be achieved with paint. The plastic outer sleeving also takes paint readily if another colour is required.

The following fotos will give an idea of what can be achieved without too much effort." ....Whoops, see previous posting.

Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

AlanP

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 05:49:40 pm »

Thanks for all the replies, think I will try to get some etching primer, (anyone know if Halfords sell it) but me thinks I would be better off if I stay away from the wife's oven. I can just hear it now, you want to put what in the oven <*<

Alan

ian kennedy

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 05:53:51 pm »

Halfords sell acid etch spray primer sold under the upol brand name, it comes in a red metalic rattle can.

I have used it for years and it does the job you will need it for.

Ian

AlanP

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 08:55:36 pm »

Thanks Ian, Halfords it is on Monday  :-))

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.