Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moonbeam - Suitable for a beginner sailor?  (Read 3933 times)

ianb

• Full Mayhemer
Moonbeam - Suitable for a beginner sailor?
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:27:55 pm »

I think that the Moonbeam is a very attractive and elegant model, and of course I want to build one. If not this year then next. The pond I use is not very deep, so a conventional (modern design) deep fin keel sailboat is a little risky.

Okay so far, but.....I've never sailed a model sailboat before and I expect that I will have to learn on my own i.e. the very hard way! A long time ago I sailed full size catamarans (Hobies and Tornados) but it seems that model sailing from a distance may require a completely different set of skills.

So, my question is: Is trying to learn on my own difficult, extremely difficult, or impossible?

Actually, my next question is: Is the Moonbeam suitable or too advanced to learn on?

I have built several electric models from kits, and believe that actually building the Moonbeam kit in an acceptable manner is within my capabilities, but sailing.......?.

Thanks in advance

Ian

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Moonbeam - Suitable for a beginner sailor?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:03:13 pm »

Moonbeam will behave like any other 2 channel sailor.

Not difficult at all to sail. The skill and practice will allow you to sail her round a course quicker than you did before.

Sailing boats is a pleasure, and not hard to learn. It just takes a little time to get the best.

If you have sailed before 1:1 you will already know about sail setting, for sailing at different points to the wind. That is really the only technical bit.

Metcalf's Moonbeam is a lovely boat. You WILL enjoy sailing her I am sure.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:14:33 pm »

Ian
I was in the position, having spent all my life with straight running boats, but having had a go at full size sail (Enterprise / Fireball) some years ago, I saw the Moonbeam when Dave (Metcalfe) revealed it at the model boat show in Warwick a couple of years ago. It looked good, so even if I was a crap sailor at least it could sit on the windowsill.
So I had a chat with Dave over the course of the show, he took me through the building (he had the prototype at that time) mentioned a few problems he had, but were being rectified for the production models, and even pointed out that a straight runner like me would be able to sail it------------
Ok that was two years ago, money did change hands and duly a giant box arrived.
I would say go for it, its a great model, clear instructions, room for adding your own little thing, and great to sail in light winds and med winds (not yet brave enough to try strong winds)   :-))
Oh, and don't keep it on the windowsill fully rigged if you have a cat  :((
Steamed up all the time

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 04:40:09 pm »

Go for it,
the biggest problem you will have is turning inside the buoys! and if that's the biggest problem, then no problem

andyn

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 05:52:58 pm »

WHAT PHIL?? you're not allowed on of these RC things, now fit vane steering before i send the thumb breakers round <*<
 :}

I say go for it, great looking boat and doesn't appear to have all that much to build

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 06:03:52 pm »

Hi Ianb,  I am sure this is a good introduction to sailing.  I have been doing it for years so it must be easy!  The best thing about sailing a model yacht is that it is a full time occupation, you are looking ahead for the wind, plotting your course etc.

The sails travel in and out in parallel and the yacht should hold a steady course with the sails at 30 degrees to centre with rudder central.
Set the sail winch control so that pushing the Tx. control out and away from you, lets the sails out.

Don't confuse 'large' with 'advanced', a larger boat takes a bit longer to do things so gives you a bit more thinking time.  I sail various scale yachts from the simple Vic Smeed design Panache 30 inches loa, to a scale Endeavour, with half a dozen in between.  My heaviest is an Inga IV which is very easy to control at about 40 inches loa but I need to use a launching trolley!

When you get used to sailing her, I would reccomend putting a couple of buoys in the water and sailing around them.  That's when you learn how to sail from point to point!

best of luck and welcome to a fascinating pastime.
Roy

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 06:48:51 pm »

It's not even steam Andy  %)
I've tried with a couple of marker bouys Roy, yup I can hit them every time (I'm guessing the idea is to miss them)  ok2
Steamed up all the time

ianb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 02:51:17 am »

Well, I do thank you all for your encouraging answers.

I'm sure that if, sorry, I mean when, I build the Moonbeam that I will have many questions to ask about how to sail her.

For now its the real pleasure of slowly and carefully assembling the Mountfleet Highlander. A really lovely kit in my opinion.

And thank you Martin for inserting the drawing of the Moonbeam in my original post.

Ian                   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.