Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decking timber vs. anti-slip/skid deck coating  (Read 1792 times)

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
Decking timber vs. anti-slip/skid deck coating
« on: February 07, 2009, 09:42:26 pm »

Greetings to all,

I am working on Billing's Zwarte Zee and curiosity is killing the cat. There are deck areas that have the green anti-skid/slip coating on them and other areas, some adjacent to the coated, that have decking timber on them. I assume, allowing for inaccuracies in the kit, there are reasons for using both methods on one real ship.
The question then is, why would decking timber be preferable in one area to the anti-slip coating, or vice versa? Why in one area have both?

I wondered if the decking timber is more hard-wearing and lasts longer in a work area. If that is the case, some areas that are decked don't appear to be line handling or areas of significant work on the Zwarte Zee model - so maybe there is more to it.
Alister

farrow

Re: Decking timber vs. anti-slip/skid deck coating
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:39:36 pm »

I am not a trained naval architect, but most of the old vessels I have served on in the past had wood above living accommodation, whilst the plain steel deck was above engine room and other none habitual spaces. I always presumed it was for two reasons, insulation from the cold and noise, for the benefit of those living below it.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:24:21 am »

That makes a lot of sense! Looking at the locations of the decking timber, it is definitely around areas where there are lower decks, cabins and wheelhouses etc.
Thanks very much!
Alister

Tankerman

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:17:55 pm »

rmasmaster is correct in his assumption. Wooden deck planks were laid over the steel deck in way of accommodation space to insulate the space below not only from noise, but also temperature, especially high temperature in tropical climes.

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.