Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pinstripe Tape  (Read 13974 times)

tony52

Pinstripe Tape
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:51:09 pm »

Hi,
Does anyone know of a masking tape, which the centre strip can be removed to allow you to paint a thin straight line.

I don't like just sticking car shop pinstripe tape on, and never seem to get a neat enough line with two parallel masking tapes.

Thanks, Tony.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Pinstripe Tape
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:03:48 pm »

Trimline model tape is very thin and is better than car type tape, is waterproof and can be varnished over. I don't think you will find what you are looking for in terms of masking off . http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Trimline.html

The other approach is to go down the pinstriping route which is a more fiddly process.

Personally I'd iuse Trimline every time.

Colin

Capt Podge

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:06:05 pm »

Achieved that finish on 1 of my boats by painting the stripe first (didn't need to be too neat). When dry, mask off to upper edge of the stripe and paint hull colour. When that's dry mask off lower edge of the stripe and paint hull colour. I'm assuming the stripe is for the hull.

Proteus

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:02:27 am »

I got some from hear     http://www.pinstripinguk.com/

Proteus 

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 09:23:20 am »

Self adhesive vinyl coach lining and lettering from Barry's Model Lettering. Excellent. As used on my lifeboat

www.modellettering.com

Nomally next day delivery if order placed by lunch time.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Proteus

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 10:30:31 am »

http://www.pinstripinguk.com/   look under supplies  then  Striping & Masking  Tapes. its good stuff and as its paint there is no thickness to it, or very little.

Proteus

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 10:40:18 am »

Hi, I don't know whether this helps but here goes.
There is some quite thick(ish) plastic lining tape available from stationers and used on whiteboards I think?  I have some of varying widths 1mm and also slightly wider.

What I did was roughly painted the line I finally want on the hull and then covered it up with the appropriate width of plastic tape.  I then painted up to this tape, both sides, and when about dry I gently removed the tape to reveal the line underneath.

I have used the method once before and it worked O.K.
best of luck, Roy

knoby

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 02:09:14 pm »

Hi tony,
we use this at work for custom striping jobs, Scotch® Fine Line Striping Tape, 8 Pull Outs, 6314, 1 in x 550 in. its 1 inch wide but split into 8 pieces so u can remove individual strips as required. its ideal for what i want. how ever i believe its astronomically expensive. maybe u could try a local car body shop to see if they have some.

for my own use, i use a pin stripe of the required width & place it on the model in the correct position. then i place another pin stripe either side of that 1 & remove the original stripe, leaving a neatly masked line of the correct width for painting.

masking tape doesn't work well because the paint seeps under it, plastic tape gives a much better edge, especially if u remove the tape before the paint is fully dry

cheers glenn

parky

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 08:05:51 am »

Hi,
Does anyone know of a masking tape, which the centre strip can be removed to allow you to paint a thin straight line.

I don't like just sticking car shop pinstripe tape on, and never seem to get a neat enough line with two parallel masking tapes.

Thanks, Tony.  Hi Tony the tape you are talking about was used by garages doing bodywork and was in the 80s then the pinstripe tape arrived and the tape your after was faded out  to get the same finish paint were you want the stripe let harden then pinstripe then paint  the rest of your hull including the pinstripe when hard peel out the pinstripe and this will give you the same effect a painted pinstripe  parky

Bwalsh

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 11:08:38 pm »

You need the masking lining from BECC  - this does excactly what you want. Just apply 3 lines of size required and remove centre line to leave perfectly spaced line.  Its also the proper vinyl tape with removable adhesive so correct for the job.  Assuming you want to paint the line rather than apply sticky plastic line?  Reade or sailRC.com do packs in various sizes for masking and lining.

Bill W

Proteus

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 12:29:13 am »

http://www.pinstripinguk.com/   look under supplies  then  Striping & Masking  Tapes. its good stuff and as its paint there is no thickness to it, or very little.

Proteus

this is the tape , you put it on pull out the centre and paint, leave a bit then pull off the outside tape and you have a perfect line, you can then if need be sand the hull and polish no hard lines or tape that can come of and its cheap

Proteus

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 12:56:09 am »

Something I found useful with trimline, it can be re-positioned before pressing/rubbing down.

Can you do this with the pinstripe tape?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proteus

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 01:04:41 am »

Something I found useful with trimline, it can be re-positioned before pressing/rubbing down.

Can you do this with the pinstripe tape?

untill you pull the centre out
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.