Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: For Concerned members...... (Australian bush wildfires)  (Read 11267 times)

Martin13

For Concerned members...... (Australian bush wildfires)
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:19:11 pm »

G'Day All,

Just a quick message to concerned forum members.

Both Linda and I have received emails and phone calls from members re the Victorian Bushfires. Yesterday the temp peaked at 47.C with wind gusts to 90 kph. Both of us are volunteer firefighters and have been involved in the current situation.

The fires came close to our home but a late southerly change swung the fires away from our property.

Linda is part of the Incident Management Team and has been on Comms all night and just returned home. I will be off this afternoon for change over shift.

There has been many deaths and countless properties destroyed.

Thanks again for your concerns re our health. I will be keeping in touch with John (Bluebird) via telephone for updates.

Yesterday I honestly thought my next post of Brave Borderer build would be a burnt out hull

Martin and Linda doon under :-))

nhp651

Re: For Concerned members...... (Australian bush wildfires)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:27:28 pm »

good luck to you all down there, and i probably say this for all on the forum, our prayers are with you at this time.
best wishes, neil. :-))

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:34:35 pm »

Our thoughts are with you Martin as we watch the news each evening.  Fire fighters in particular always give cause for concern as thier own dedication and committment can sometimes cause them to compromise thier own safety.

So strange that at the moment the other half of your country is currently under water and I am writing this from the midst of the most extensive snowfall and freeze that the UK has experience for the last 18 years.  I sincerely hope that temperatures start to come down a bit soon and you can return to a more normal way of life.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:42:02 am »

Thinking of you Martin, do take care, both of you. It's making the headlines over here and looks absolutely horrifying. Temperature down here in Southern Enland is below freezing at the moment!

Keep us up to date with events when you can.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 12:45:31 am »

Glad to hear you are safe, must have been real scary!
Is there any sign of a let up in the weather?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bigfella

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 01:26:00 am »

Martin and Linda

You guys are real heroes. Some say that this sports star or this celebrity is their hero but to me people like you and your good lady are true heroes. People who for no other reason than a sense community and duty risk their lives to put out fires (most of which are deliberately lit by deranged idiots). It is a truly brave thing and as a fellow Aussie I thank you. Keep safe.

Regards David

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 03:05:17 am »

I hope you a a change in the weather that helps you with managing these fires.

Keep safe.

Our thoughts are with you.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 04:20:47 am »

Hi Martin....here are a few words I put to PD's today....take care  :-)).......Derek

Hi PD's....as the world knows we people from OZ are tough  ...we love sitting around the BBQ on a Sunday afternoon with friends & a beer & smelling the gum tree branches & gum nuts burn on the fire

However there is nothing at all pleasant in searing 50 degree C temperatures with a dampened down potato sack trying to put out bush fire  flames whilst breathing that same..... but now ACRID gum nut smoke which is probably to 80 degrees C post combustion

mmmm un-pleasant is not the correct word.....more like scary & un-nerving, two bottles of Murine over the next days do not help the sting in your eyes, litres & litres of water do not help the chared vocal chords....& a week later you are still blowing great black bits of crud from the nasil passages

This is also a time to reflect that you know you have had enough......when a cold beer  burns your throat ....& you resort to tap water again..

May the Lord preserve those still fighting our fires.......Derek
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi PD's...... Roderick or Peter [W] would be the best to offer comment from Victoria....I watched the 0400 news headlines this morning reporting 14 lives lost in the past 24 hours.... ....

Mother nature can seem unkind in cases like this ....however there are reports emerging of intentional fire lighting    .....

It was in 1969....as a third year apprentice when I spent 24 hours fire fighting here in my local area ...just 80 km south of Sydney on our eastern seaboard.....Derek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The news reports here in the UK say the fires are getting worse, and a number of people have lost thier lives - I sincerely hope all our PD members are safe. Your in my thoughts and prayers...

Regards
Eddy
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 11:27:14 am »

In the fearfull bush fires rampaging through Victoria at
the moment there have been 84 comfirmed dead
and the tally will increase, there have been over 700
homes destroyed, several towns have been wiped out.
Good luck guys and gals I hope it stops soon.......

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

tomocj

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 11:57:56 am »

Likewise from me we are thinking of you and those fires ,take care,
Chris

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 12:13:03 pm »

..and special thoughts for all concerned in fighting the fires, brave people.  Hope the situation improves soon. Good luck  Oz.
..well can you land on this?

bigfella

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 12:25:07 pm »

And what did the Greens leader in Australia say "I told you this would happen, it is because of global warming" Typical cheap political point scoring by a politician while 84 people have died and 700 homes lost.

I am under the impression that some of these fires were deliberately lit. The punishment should certainly fit the crime.

Regards David

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 04:09:08 pm »

hi there one and all

a short time ago - had a short conversation with Linda (Martin's wife) she informed me that Martin is on a 12-hour call out shift - he is driving fire trucks.   He should be home again about 10.30 p.m. approximately (UK) time.   Linda was also saying there are still several fires burning out of control in and around Victoria where they live - but, hopefully, not too close to properties.   She did mention that an awful lot of homes/loss of life had occurred though.

If Martin is not too tired, he might even post on here what is happening.

Let us all hope all is safe and that there are no more tragedies.   Sometimes Mother Nature has a cruel hand.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

bigfella

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 08:13:01 pm »

The death toll has reached over 100. God be with those families and those who are in the ares were the fires are heading.

Rex Hunt

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:31:48 pm »

good luck to you all down there, and i probably say this for all on the forum, our prayers are with you at this time.
best wishes, neil. :-))

Amen

Rex

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 09:04:07 pm »

I am very pleased to hear that Martin and his wife, Linda, are safe and well. I knew they lived near the fire affected areas, and was concerned for their safety.

The rest of Australia has watched in horror as the toll from the Victorian bush fires reached 108 confirmed dead, as of half an hour ago. We are hearing from doctors in the burns unit in Melbourne that it could, and probably will, go higher, as many people are suffering life threatening burns. It is now the worst natural disaster in Australia's history, with whole towns having been wiped out. Kinglake and Marysville, 2 small towns to the north east of Melbourne, have both been practically obliterated, with Kinglake having the highest death toll - over 60 confirmed.

People had almost no chance to escape as the fires approached with terrifying speed. A number of the victims were trapped in their cars while trying to escape the fires, but dense smoke, or fallen trees caused road blockages and some collisions, and the occupants were burnt to death.

One terrible aspect of the disaster is that it is suspected that some of the fires were deliberately lit.

In a twist of irony, far north coastal Queensland is a sea of flood water, following torrential rain in the area.

I watched the reports on Sky News this morning, and felt absolutely horrified and sickened by what I saw. My thoughts and prayers are with the survivors, and the wonderful fire fighters and other volunteers who are performing superhuman acts to try and contain the fires, or rescue and care for the lucky ones who escaped the flames.

There are still a number of fires burning, but reports indicate that no property is under immediate threat, and also temperatures have dropped dramatically.

Peter.

dave301bounty

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 09:12:04 pm »

Thanks for that update .Peter , i want to phone as soon as ,it looks HORRIBLE and very scary ,poor buggers

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 09:26:10 pm »

Terrible situation Peter, it's the top news story over here with some terrifying pictures and we all feel for you Aussies.

Colin

djrobbo

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 09:31:51 pm »

Hi martin...glad to hear you are ok.............just spoke to brother in law , he lives in croyden  , melbourne , and he says the fire wiped out the two houses next to his but missed his so he has now got the horses from those two in his paddocks......

We wish you well and keep safe

regards...bob.

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 10:49:29 pm »

Good to hear that all our Australian mebers are alive and well.This is a terrible tradgedy and I do hope that they catch the fire starters and send then to jail indefinatly

Stav

Martin13

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 11:29:46 pm »

G'Day from the Victorian Bushfires :-))

Just returned only an hour ago from a 14 hour shift - frankly, I'm Bu**ered.

The fire raging near my home - overnight we managed to contain the fire, that is, the fire is burning inside the perimeter only. We have lost many farms and countless stock with only one fatality.
Our main task was "Asset Protection".  Many farms escaped the fire but had trees burning at the base and especially in burning Hollow Trees. Our overnight task was to find and extinguish these trees to protect the farm houses.

Overnight temperatures were around 15 C which is quite common for inland but we still have a very strong wind which is fanning the fires here and elsewhere. Fortunately with night time and everything black, these trees are easier to find and you can see burning embers being blown by the wind
Task - Search and Destroy.

Blacking out a an area after a fire has gone through has the highest priority as in many cases, if not done correctly, fires can restart weeks later.

I was assigned as Driver. The 4WD fire truck weighs 10 ton and carries 3 - 4 tons of water. As the water level drops, any truck/lorry driver will tell you, there is nothing like a shifting load especially over rough terrain. It's my responsibility that when we reach a hazard to extinguish, that I place the truck in such a way that we can make a quick and safe escape. We had several of these cases overnight with trees falling as we tried to extinguish them - definitely keeps you alert but I keep my crews safe.

One property we entered where the very old homestead was burnt to the ground, we found hundreds upon hundreds of burnt sheep everywhere.
On exiting the property, a crew member noticed something moving at the base of a tree. It was a young Koala about 14 -16 inches high sitting quietly and shivering. These little fellas do not like humans so when you approach they usually shoot up a tree - but not this chap. He was severely dehydrated and his tiny little ears burnt. We picked him up in a fire blanket and took him back to the Staging Area where there were some Wildlife Rangers at hand - They told us that with a bit of care and attention, he will be okay and released into the bush elsewhere away from the fire ground.

Temperatures are about 15 to 20.C lower in the past 2 days but the fire hazard in Victoria and Southern NSW remains extreme due to the dryness and strong winds. It's these conditions that will keep the fire hazard here for quite some time yet.

Anyhow, I now have three days of work ( a rest period) before the next 4 days off where I'll more than likely be posted to another Strike Team and deployed to another Bushfire somewhere in the state.

Linda, myself and my crew  would like to thank the forum for your kind thoughts and prayers as these fires will rage for some time yet. I just wish that we do not lose any more life..

Martin and Linda Doon Under

.............................................................These were a few lines to show and explain what the News media don't - for your insight.....................................................................................

P.S = A number of these fires were actually started by Lightening Strikes

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 11:34:51 pm »

You and Linda deserve a medal Martin. Certainly puts our "winter problems" into pesrpective.

Colin

Martin13

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 11:46:24 pm »

You and Linda deserve a medal Martin. Certainly puts our "winter problems" into perspective.

Colin

No medal needed Colin - it's just the Aussie way....next time on the news, look at all the men and women firefighters in Yellow - they are ALL Volunteers doing the same job....

Besides, there appears to be EXTREME weather conditions all over the world including the UK. Personally I could not cope with your cold weather. In my youth riding a motorcycle to work in the middle of winter, I slid my hands off the handlebars then I hugged the exhaust system to thaw out. In this case the temp was about 5.C - a lot warmer than than conditions you gents are experiencing at the moment.

Martin

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 12:04:55 am »

Just to let you know we are thinking of you folks in the 'down under' and wish you all the best of luck. Our condiolences to those who have lost family and friends as a result.
I saw the mess on the news tonight. Words fall short.

John

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 01:30:23 am »

No medal needed Colin - it's just the Aussie way

Yes it is, Martin, but that doesn't stop the rest of us admiring, and being extremely grateful for, the job that you, and countless other volunteers do. It's wonderful work, and you all deserve any recognition coming your way.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Stay safe,

Peter.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.