Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: For Concerned members...... (Australian bush wildfires)  (Read 11264 times)

OMK

Re: For Concerned members...... (Australian bush wildfires)
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 02:33:58 am »

I have first-hand experience of the horrors brought about by fire. My heart goes out to the folk of Australia who have lost their loved ones and friends and their homes in such wretched circumstances. The same goes for the animals and wildlife.
Words aren't enough. Those volunteer firefighters and rescue workers deserve more than medals; they all deserve the utmost respect.

Martin down under, you and I haven't exactly seen eye-to-eye in the past, so pse pardon me for being a tit. For what it's worth, you don't have to fret about kicking my butt because I'm already doing it myself.
Respect to you, man - and your good lady.

Good luck with everything down there.

barryfoote

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 08:39:33 am »

Been following this thread closely. Excellent work and congratulations to you and Linda and the rest of the volunteers. many thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Barry

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 09:53:55 am »

Last time we were in Sydney (2004) we went on a couple of tours - Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley. Our guides on both these tours said the same thing as Germaine Greer says in this article from the Times today - bush fires are inevitable, and the only way to control them is by controlled burning.

Barrie

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article5689447.ece

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 11:11:18 am »

One can not dispute the truth in the words from your posting here Barrie...relating to Australia.....that.... "bush fires are inevitable" , however we nationals of OZ probably 'turn a blind eye'  to issues & blame 'mother nature'....when in retrospect it could be 'human nature' that contributes by allowing such events to occur by approving residential developement in the bush..........or should we allow buildings on the edge of the shore line only?.................... {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Our Victorian Government has offered a Royal Commission to review safety & emergency procedures relating to such events.........  it would be inappropriate for me to comment further as I have lost one direct family relative to the Victorian fires on 08.02.2009......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 01:32:11 pm »

That is terrible news Derek.

My condolences to all those affected by the loss.

Mark
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

chingdevil

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 01:35:12 pm »

Derek

That is horrible news, please accept my condolences.

Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 01:41:53 pm »

So sorry Derek.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 02:06:04 pm »

Sincere sympathies.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 09:35:27 pm »

My heartfelt sympathy to you and your family, Derek.

Barriew, Germaine Greer said nothing in her article that most Australians did not already know. However, her comment "The cause of these disasters is not global warming; still less is it arson", would appear to be way off mark regarding arson, as police are treating the sites of most of the fires as crime scenes. On this morning's Sky News, police are quoted as saying they are "closing in" on a suspect or suspects. If such a person is caught, he will be charged with murder, in fact, mass murder. With the official death toll now standing at 173, and expected to increase, mass murder is exactly what it is.

Peter.

Hagar

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2009, 09:49:34 pm »

To all of you guys in Oz may I extent my heart felt condolences to all that have lost family and friends in this tragidy. having just read Peters post and learning that 173 and rising have lost their lives must put this up in the worst disasters in the History of Oz.

To all that are risking life and limb to fight the fires, It might be that you are only doing what anyone else would do, BUT you are doing it. I think a medal is well in order.
Makes me wonder a bit about my brother and his daughter. last I heard from them they lived in Orange, but I have no idea where that is, or even if they still live there.

Thinking of you all.

Ian M

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 03:41:45 am »

Ian M, firstly, Orange is just under 300 km WNW of Sydney, and as far as I know, there are no serious fires near there.

Secondly, the Victorian fires are the worst peacetime disaster in Australia's history. For the story, go to the Sky News Australia web site at http://www.skynews.com.au/ This is constantly updated as more information comes in.

Peter.

Martin13

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 06:59:27 am »

I have first-hand experience of the horrors brought about by fire. My heart goes out to the folk of Australia who have lost their loved ones and friends and their homes in such wretched circumstances. The same goes for the animals and wildlife.
Words aren't enough. Those volunteer firefighters and rescue workers deserve more than medals; they all deserve the utmost respect.

Martin down under, you and I haven't exactly seen eye-to-eye in the past, so pse pardon me for being a tit. For what it's worth, you don't have to fret about kicking my butt because I'm already doing it myself.
Respect to you, man - and your good lady.

Good luck with everything down there.

PMK,

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts.

Re the past, I firmly believe on that particular post that our cultural differences and sense of humour was mistakingly misunderstood - mainly by me. I forgot about it a long time ago (namely the next day). Lets shake hands and forget about it. If you lived in Oz, I would say "lets go down to the pub, have a few beers and have a good laugh about it."

Don't kick yourself about it as it's not necessary - it took a lot of guts just to post here as you have - I thankyou

P.S - The good Lady also agrees it was a misunderstanding and said that was courageous of you to post as above...

Martin and Linda doon under

barryfoote

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 09:11:25 am »

I don't know what you two fell out over, but the above posts from PMK and Martin brought goose bumps to my skin. Good on you both.

wideawake

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 09:29:46 am »

My condolences to you on your family loss Derek.   I have distant relatives somewhere on that side of Australia but I'm not sure exactly where.   My partner's brother is living across the other side in Fremantle.   I only remarked to her a couple of days ago how forums like this bring home the reality of events of this sort this in a far more hard-hitting personal way than TV news coverage.  That was even before your post, Derek.

I'm sure the thoughts of many on this forum are with you and all those struck by tragedy in the last week as well as with those in the front line of defeating the fires.   It puts our small battles with snowy weather in the UK in perspective and reinforces my dislike of the over-use of words like devastating, tragedy and appalling to describe these minor inonveniences.

We're a world apart but still part of the same world.

Guy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 10:45:30 am »

Thanks all....let us comment no further on the loss of a distant [nee] Warner....but to reflect the loss of of another direct decendent from the HMS Scarborough in the "First Fleet" of convicts to OZ in 1788

Australia was populated by convict stock.....Martin & Linda are but some of our proud examples of OZ toughness.......... some 220 years later...........regards Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 11:37:56 am »

They have just announced on the idiot box over here
that the total dead is now 181 with another township
of 140 still missing, they could be added tomorrow,
hopefully not, there has been over 300,000 hectares
of land destroyed, which is a fair chunk , gods knows
how many animals have perished, it is totally unbelievable.

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 12:27:38 pm »

Following the news, here on the fire, and I'm curious, are water bombers used when fighting these brush fires in Oz? I haven't seen any on the news reports. Or is it a case of no large enough body of water close by?

John

Damien

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 01:14:39 pm »

Yes there are choppers and fixed wing bombers, New Zealand is sending a crew & the largest chopper bomber in the southern hemisphere to help.
We have firemen from South Aust, NSW, Tasmania, USA & New Zealand attacking these fires & a large task force of forensic police hunting the arsonists. I hope they get more than a slap on the wrist arsonists usually get Prime Minister Rudd is talking of charges of Mass murder laws will have to change for that to happen though.
Damien

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 01:28:26 pm »

Yes there are choppers and fixed wing bombers, New Zealand is sending a crew & the largest chopper bomber in the southern hemisphere to help.
We have firemen from South Aust, NSW, Tasmania, USA & New Zealand attacking these fires & a large task force of forensic police hunting the arsonists. I hope they get more than a slap on the wrist arsonists usually get Prime Minister Rudd is talking of charges of Mass murder laws will have to change for that to happen though.
Damien

It seems to me the practice of keel hauling should be reintroduced.

John

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 03:22:35 pm »

John,

They catch them take them back to Kinglake and let the victims have the mongrels.........
That would even be to good for them....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Martin13

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2009, 03:24:23 pm »

G'Day All,

Having some problems sleeping and headaches so I thought that it's a good time for an update on our local scene - or in other words "what the news media is not broadcasting".

Currently there are 30 Major Bushfires burning in the state of Victoria but the news media are only reporting on where the main deaths have occurred - that's okay, but its a lot worse than what's reported.
The fire near my home - Sunday night the fire was contained and the boys did a sterling job in saving several homesteads from burning. Monday afternoon we had a report that the fire flared up on the Southern flank and is now in a Blue Gum  Plantation. Tuesday morning we then had reports that the Northern flank has also flared up by the strong winds and heading towards the SE corner of Bendigo where 50 homes have been lost. #$%@**^^

Our group consisting of 8 towns have been released from this fire and a group from Adelaide will be in taking over. Currently this fire has burnt 75,000 acres. It has been decided that our group needs 2 - 4 days rest as we are about to be deployed to NE Victoria in the Ovens and Kiewa Valleys near Beechworth to relieve the current crews. Beechworth is about 300 Kim's to the NE of Melbourne.

Fires ravaged this area 6 years ago when I was living in the Kiewa Valley. The fire at that time lasted 21 days, 21 days of living hell - that was before I became a Volunteer. That was the fire that changed my life and left a permanent imprint on my brain. According to Linda, I became a far better person after that fire but we never talk about it - or at least, I don't. I can remember to this day the night the fire peaked at about 3.00AM on Australia Day 2003. The mountain behind my home and less than 1 kilometer away, the flames breached the crest and the flames were twice the height of the Mountain Ash trees atop (these trees were at least 100 feet tall) including the noise that sounded like a freight train - believe me, you NEVER want to hear this sound.

To this day, I do not understand how my life and home were saved - I have no explanation - these fires burnt  1.4 Million Hectares .........and now it's back again.

I have been chosen to fight the fires in this area due of my local knowledge of the roads and tracks - after a fire has passed through, with landmarks gone, it's hard to tell exactly where you are. It's not the first time a fire truck got lost in a fire area..After those fires in 2003, most Victorian fire trucks have had GPS units installed. Really handy when a message comes over the radio asking what is your exact position....

Derek, my heart goes out to you with the loss of relatives here in Oz. I have friends (not related) that live in the Wondong and Kinglake areas that I have not heard from since Saturday. The news media has started putting photo's on the TV of people that have perished in the fires. I look at these pictures and pray that I DO NOT recognise anybody.

That's it for now, I will have another attempt at sleeping....Good Night and God Bless....

Martin

Martin13

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2009, 03:42:58 pm »

One other thing I forgot to mention and on a lighter note.

Here in Oz, the day after the fires started, the Red Cross launched an Appeal to raise funds for the fire victims. Currently the Red cross are receiving donations of $1 million per hour :-))

Last night there was a One Day Cricket match between Australia and New Zealand at the Adelaide Oval. During the game, cricketers/players were going around the crowd collecting donations for fire victims  and companies  were phoning in donations. At the end of the game, the total monies raised $4,023,000 - unbelievable.

That's one great thing about our country, in time of need, Aussies dig deep in their pockets and give all they can....

Martin doon under

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:01 pm »

One other thing I forgot to mention and on a lighter note.

Here in Oz, the day after the fires started, the Red Cross launched an Appeal to raise funds for the fire victims. Currently the Red cross are receiving donations of $1 million per hour :-))

Last night there was a One Day Cricket match between Australia and New Zealand at the Adelaide Oval. During the game, cricketers/players were going around the crowd collecting donations for fire victims  and companies  were phoning in donations. At the end of the game, the total monies raised $4,023,000 - unbelievable.

That's one great thing about our country, in time of need, Aussies dig deep in their pockets and give all they can....

Martin doon under

Absolutely right Martin. The crowd at the Adelaide Oval gave over $500,000 plus, as you mentioned, the phone in donations from companies. The Commonwealth Bank also gave $100 for each run scored, plus $5000 for each six hit. Public appeals currently stand in excess of $30 million, and this is separate from government money.

Sky News did say that over 30 major fires were still burning, and many are causing grave concern. In one town with a population of 519, over 100 are thought to have died - it's almost incomprehensible that in peace time, so many from one small community could perish in one incident. Parts of our area are prone to flooding, and floods can be quite devastating, but nothing could compare with the horror of a big bushfire, where people, the ones who survived, have lost absolutely everything, including some of the friends and neighbours.

Unless you have experienced something like this disaster, it is almost impossible to know what people in the affected areas are feeling - I know I simply can't imagine what it would be like. It is sickening, and horrifying enough just to watch the TV news reports. My heart, and that of all Australians, goes out to those in the fire ravaged areas.

Peter.

ggeorge

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2009, 03:06:48 am »

Hi Martin,
 My hart go out to you and your family. I am a district fire chief in Toronto Canada. We have an exchange program with Australia and I have had some of your chaps working for me and have my firefighters working over there. The exchange is for the year.We have two exchange over there at this moment but are not down in your area.
  Another concerned member
  G. George 

Damien

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2009, 05:59:10 am »

A story of survival amid mayhem.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25038852-661,00.html

Bear in mind Koalas are normaly shy and don't drink water they get what they need from the Eucalypt leaves they eat, this little lady was sure dehydrated.

Damien.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.