Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: For Concerned members...... (Australian bush wildfires)  (Read 11274 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: For Concerned members...... (Australian bush wildfires)
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2009, 09:53:17 pm »

Some heartening news, following the bushfire disaster. The Nine TV Network held a telethon last night in aid of the thousands of people affected by the Victorian fires, and the people of Australia (and in some cases from overseas) opened their hearts and their wallets to the tune of over $20 million. Included in this amount were many significant contributions from companies and corporations, as well as media personalities and Australian film stars. Nicole Kidman and husband Keith Urban donated $500,000 to the appeal, and Canadian crooner Michael Buble gave $50,000. Other Aussie actors and singers, including Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman and Olivia Newton John were also forthcoming, and it was reported that Kylie Minogue and her sister Dannii will be holding a benefit concert in London.

The money from the telethon brings the total amount raised by Australians (and others) to over $75 million, which will go a long way towards helping to rebuild the affected communities. This money is separate from any insurance pay-outs or government assistance.

Peter.

Martin13

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2009, 10:11:21 pm »

Hi Martin,
 My hart go out to you and your family. I am a district fire chief in Toronto Canada. We have an exchange program with Australia and I have had some of your chaps working for me and have my firefighters working over there. The exchange is for the year.We have two exchange over there at this moment but are not down in your area.
  Another concerned member
  G. George 

G.George, Thanks re your concerns - come and visit.......

What a great program you have. I have relatives in Toronto and absolutely love the place. If it wasn't for the snow two thirds of the year, I could easily live there. G.George, your a professional Fireman, I'm only a Volunteer although well trained.
We have a very large country and a very small population hence nothing can be achieved without volunteers but am proud to be one. My Brigade has been given the weekend off ( a break) as we have been relieved by firefighters from the USA. New Zealand has also sent over Firefighters to assist. As of yesterday we had 30 fires raging in Victoria and another 22 started by lightening strikes overnight (which is the usual way fires start here). Although we have had some rain, no substantial stuff is predicted for some time.

Thanks again,

Martin doon under

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2009, 10:22:26 pm »

Martin, enjoy your break, you've earned it. I heard on this morning's news that a big fire is nearing Healesville; it's to be hoped that it can be stopped before it reaches any houses. I said in an earlier post that our area is subject to floods, and I have experienced many of them over the last 55 years. A flood can be very damaging, but I don't think anything could be more terrifying than a big bushfire. After a flood goes down, you at least still have your house even if it is water damaged, but when the fires go through you have nothing left.

Peter.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2009, 08:49:31 am »

That was quick!

BBC:  Australian man charged with arson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7887561.stm
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2009, 09:17:33 am »

If he is guilty....that man is one of the worlds scum <*< :police: <*< :police:

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2009, 12:08:46 pm »

As far as I know the death toll seems to have stopped
thank heavens, but the loss of houses has risen it is now standing
at 1800 homes lost..........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2009, 01:35:32 pm »

Topic renamed.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2009, 10:56:20 pm »

Roy, the police and Victorian premier, John Brumby, are still saying the death toll will rise even more, as investigators are still sifting through the burnt out buildings. The total money raised from public appeals has now passed $100 million, and some of the money has started to flow through to the thousands of people made homeless by the fires.

The man arrested for arson has been charged with lighting the fire near Churchill in Gippsland, Victoria, which killed 21 people. He was moved to a prison in Melbourne "for his own safety".

Peter.

Damien

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2009, 11:00:24 pm »

The story of the passing of a town.
The horror of the onslaught as the inferno aproaches and wipe out the town of Marysville, through the eyes of survivors.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25051191-2862,00.html

Damien.

Martin13

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2009, 12:25:31 am »

Martin, enjoy your break, you've earned it. I heard on this morning's news that a big fire is nearing Healesville; it's to be hoped that it can be stopped before it reaches any houses. I said in an earlier post that our area is subject to floods, and I have experienced many of them over the last 55 years. A flood can be very damaging, but I don't think anything could be more terrifying than a big bushfire. After a flood goes down, you at least still have your house even if it is water damaged, but when the fires go through you have nothing left.

Peter.

Peter,

You can appreciate this having lived  on the land yourself.

The fires at Kinglake and Marysville, these homes were built in the mountains surrounded by heavy bushland  - no where to escape.. The fires behind my home went through farm land of which had very few trees, mainly grazing. 14 farm houses were lost, all farming machinery including stock of which we identified thousands of sheep (we also noticed that some farm machinery had melted with the heat). These people not only lost there homes but also their source of income.

What do these farmers do now?

It's as you say, as bad as a flood can be, at least you have a property to return to. Repairs can be carried out and continue living but my neighbours/friends..........lost for words..

Linda and I had a discussion last night re last Saturday and the extreme weather. We both agreed on how lucky we are. Behind our home there are thousands of acres of grazing land. Had we not had the wind change late that afternoon, the fire would have hit the row of gum trees behind and created a fireball that would have wiped out our property. That day the temp at 47.C with an 90kph winds - totally abnormal/freak conditions (similar to the Canberra fires) didn't make a difference whether you lived in the bush or farmland - if that fire was heading in your direction , you were bu$#@%*&ed

Makes you think and thank god you survived....

Martin du

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2009, 12:37:38 am »

Yes Martin,

I have been in a few flood situations and very unpleasant they are. In some ways they are not unlike fire in that they happen with bewildering speed. One moment you are OK, the next the water is coming in everywhere. But you do not get the total devastation that you do with fire and there is usually none of the immediate threat to life. We have been following the events in Australia with horrified fascination and great sympathy. I'm just glad that you and Linda have escaped unscathed when so many did not.

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2009, 01:00:22 am »

Martin...........many thanks have been raised & praised....... from the people..... to the PM & the GG .......my only recommendation could or would be

one glass of chilled tap water
one glass of your favourite beer

Then get back to ship building  .......& thanks from all of the humble people in OZ...... :-))............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2009, 03:11:39 am »

Martin, one aspect of the bushfire appeal that touched me was the fact that many people in flood affected North Queensland have donated to the appeal, despite themselves suffering from the floods. It makes you feel very humble.

Peter.

Martin13

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2009, 09:33:46 pm »

Martin, one aspect of the bushfire appeal that touched me was the fact that many people in flood affected North Queensland have donated to the appeal, despite themselves suffering from the floods. It makes you feel very humble.

Peter.

Yeah Peter, I saw an interview on telly during the week where a news reporter was interviewing a hardened farmer standing knee dead in water. His comments and tears said it all, the flood victims have put aside their troubles and are saddened and giving freely to the fire victims - just shows what a great country we live in.

Early next week we have been forcasted with light rain and thunderstorms/lightening followed by hot weather again. Personally, I won't be able to relax till ALL fires are out.

I thank all forum members for their good wishes and thoughts to our well being. Linda and I are only 2 of many volunteers down here in Victoria but we all try to do our little bit. Thank god for the Salvo's and Red Cross ladies - they are a sight to see when you come off the fire ground and many wish to give you a hug and a smile:-)

Martin doon under

PS - managing to do a little modelling this weekend....but the beer doesn't taste right....maybe, if I have a few more the taste will improve. %)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2009, 09:48:57 pm »

Martin, it's good to hear that the weather conditions have improved in your area. This is certainly helping the fire fighters to bring the 12 major fires that are still burning, under control. According to Sky News, 1834 homes have been destroyed, and 413,000 hectares, or over 1 million acres, have been burnt out - mind boggling statistics.

Australia is certainly a land of contrasts, the central Queensland town of Longreach is flooded by the Thomson River, and the outback NSW town of Bourke is also under water. We have had good rain here now, too - 67 mm in the 24 hrs to 7 am today, but other areas near us have had much more. I hope the weather gods are kind to Victoria and send you some rain.

I think a few more beers will definitely improve the taste  :-)) enjoy your modelling, and don't forget to post some more pictures.

Peter.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.