Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing Fibre Optics  (Read 8608 times)

Bwian

Installing Fibre Optics
« on: February 08, 2009, 12:29:27 pm »

I few people liked my fibre optics i put in my first build so i have put together a how to guide of how i did it.
There may be other ways this can be done but this works for me fine.

First get your fibre optics, I got mine from http://www.lite-tec.co.uk/fibrepacks.htm I got the 'Option 1' pack. It is the 64 stand length you need, strip the coating and you have 64 x 1 meter lengths, plenty for a boat.
Then you need your light source, I use the ultra bright LED's from Maplin, there are a few different colours to chose from.

Next you need a VERY small drill bit. I found some on a market stall it was a pack of about 20bits ranging from 1mm to the thickness of a hair. They was only a few quid, so i bought a couple (they can snap easy)

I use the hobby knife handle to hold the bit, they are too small for a dremel, mark and hand drill all the places you want the fibres to show. Drill from the top if possible.

Once you have drilled all the holes, push the fibre from the back so there is about 1cm showing

Then put a drop of super glue on the back to hold it

Once all the fibres are glues in place, paint it as you wish, DO NOT trim the fibres at this stage, the paint will cover the ends and stop them from working.

Next we need to make the housings for the LED's. This is done buy using strips of kitchen foil and wrap it around something the same diameter as the LED (dowel / screwdriver, etc...). About 25-30cm will give enough strength to it when its wound up. For best results make sure its Shiny side in. A small line of superglue at the end will hold it fine and stop it unwinding.

Next, cut the foil tube into about 2cm lengths, do this whilst its still on the dowel/screwdriver etc.. you don't want to crush it.

You can now slide it of the dowel / screwdriver

Now separate the fibres into the different colours (if you are having multi colours that is) and bind then ends with thin wire.

Once the fibres are bound and secure, trim them to make a clean cut.

Insert the fibres into one end of the foil tube about half way, then carfully crush the tube around the fibres, making sure you don't disturb the other end of the tube.

Then, with more wire, wrap it around the fibres and tube, holding it firmly in place.

Then insert the LED in the other end. I put a drop of superglue on the side of the LED to hold it in place, but if you get a tight fit this may net be necessary.

Back to the other end of the optic now. Once all the painting / varnishing has been done, trim the optic with a sharp knife, the sharper the better, you need a good clean cut.

And thats it.
Be carefull when handling the fibres, they can snap easy, and its a pain to reinstall one.

If you are wanting multicolours I make a light strip like this. It keeps things nice and tide.

Hope this helps  :-)

Tony.

TCC

Re: Installing Fibre Optics
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:41:50 pm »

Cheers Tony
any chance of showing the final output? I'm after finding out how much light does a single strand supply and what shape is the cone is?

Thanks...

p.s agree about the <.7mm drills... I can't seem to keep them past a couple of uses.    :((:(( You did well on the price too, I bought mine singularily for 7p each.  :((

dan

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 12:57:12 pm »

thanks brillaint info, thanks for sharing  :-))

Proteus

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 01:02:23 pm »

Hi on you drumbeat build there is a picture showing "cabin lights when dark" are they done with fiber optics if so how   

Thanks Proteus

Bwian

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 01:14:46 pm »

Sorry, i should have put a finished installation.

Bwian

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 01:19:23 pm »

Hi on you drumbeat build there is a picture showing "cabin lights when dark" are they done with fiber optics if so how   

Thanks Proteus

Hi,
No, the cabin lights are just LED's. I built 6 small boxes with an LED in each, then glued them on the back of each window, then diffused them with plain paper on the inside of the perspex.

TCC

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:41:31 pm »

Cheers Tony
any chance of showing the final output? I'm after finding out how much light does a single strand supply and what shape is the cone is?

Thanks...

p.s agree about the <.7mm drills... I can't seem to keep them past a couple of uses.    :((:(( You did well on the price too, I bought mine singularily for 7p each.  :((

should read 75p each.

Tony, impressive lights and detail.

barryfoote

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:44:42 pm »

A very useful thread. Many thanks for sharing such a good idea. :-))

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 05:46:51 pm »

Hy Bwian
Well done very impressive, and thats one idea I will certainly be haveing a go at later on :-))
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 01:18:11 am »

A very good 'How to', thanks  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 10:38:35 am »

Made my day this thread. Was on about fibre optics the other day as an other options to LEDs   :-))  :-))  :-))

Seaspray

winston r

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 07:42:40 pm »

winsto r

the best web site for fibre optics is  branor products its realy a model railway site but for us model boat nuts its good with video  to boot

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 09:29:19 am »

Link for Branor Products.

http://www.branor.co.uk/products.htm
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 10:32:20 am »

is it just my settings or are there a lot of missing pictures on this post.

peter

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 10:49:36 am »

I only have blank squares with little 'X's'

Barry M

pugwash

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 11:02:46 am »

Me to. was looking forward to studying the photographs and all I got was X marks the spot.
Shame as they would have gone well with  the instructions.

Geoff

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 11:07:32 am »

Link for Branor Products.

http://www.branor.co.uk/products.htm

Dick,
Very good link  :-)) with informative videos makes it easy to understand and apply to boating.  O0 O0

chingdevil

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 11:13:44 am »

The pictures are linked to a web site that does not appear to have the pictures on it any longer, that is why you are only getting blank boxes with a red cross in it.

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.