Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cracked Off -but can it be repaired?  (Read 3465 times)

ivorthediver

Cracked Off -but can it be repaired?
« on: February 08, 2009, 12:49:58 pm »

Do you know of a way of repairing cracks along the joint lines of decking where the plastic card deck meets the fibre glass hull.........anyone?

Also where sections of decking are butt edge jointed....?

I have refilled and repainted several times on my" Manxman" only to have it reoccur..... {:-{

Mark47

Re: Cracked Off -but can it be repaired?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:54:35 pm »

Scrape both surfaces clean, wife with white spirit to remove grease. Arodite surface and draw together with masking tape. After this if you can get in through your openings ruff surface up (hull and deck) and paste more Araldite on.

If they brake apart due to warping then the deck has to come of and a bulkhead put in. If the deck is warping then a new deck may be in order.

Mark

ivorthediver

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:52:25 pm »

Thank you mark for your advice,    :-))  but I have been down that road.... yet it seems to like upsetting me repeatedly.

I assume that it is the expantion and contraction of differing materials which is the culprit   {:-{

regards Ivor

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 08:55:41 am »

Is there any way of putting a false 'kicking' plank over the joint, just glued to the hull?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ivorthediver

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 06:55:05 pm »

Yes Martin that would help mask it and draw attention away from it.......hopefully

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 09:33:10 am »

Hi  ivorthediver

On your model of the Manxman" .is there a deck support stringer glued to the inside of the hull and also to the underside of the deck, if not this will be the reason that the deck joint is splitting

aye

john e

bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

ivorthediver

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 07:16:34 pm »

Hi Bluebird , yes she is constructed as you describe .

In  hind site I could have fitted a broader overlapping plate beneath the center section of decking ...but thats the beauty of hind site you can always look back at it and curse  <:(

DARLEK1

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 11:55:39 pm »

Hi Ivor, I built the Manxman kit as Welshman, she is now 4 years old and  no signs of splitting, but, one thing I do not do is use styrene for decks even if supplied with a kit.

I replace it with marine ply 2mm and body fill the whole deck edge and frames beneath the deck, I have always done this and have only had one occasion when a split occured on a type 45, this was caused by it being rammed into a concrete wall at full speed by some numpty I thought I could trust to drive it.

Anyway, lessons to be learned and also things you learn from the guys who have seen it, done it and probably got the Tee shirt here on this fine Mayhem site.

Paul...

ivorthediver

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 12:05:34 pm »

Thanks Darleki , As I said earlier ...........from now on I will do the same , but its so annoying to complete your pride and joy only to see it split......live and learn ..eh

Regards Ivor

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 01:13:45 pm »

Hi Ivor I have used styrene for nearly all my decks and I dont suffer from any splitting.

After my decks are glued down I pour in diluted epoxy resin and run it round the edges, backwards and forwards till it dries.

You have to invert the boat obviously.

I have had all sorts of mishaps with my boats (PT boat hitting large buoy flat out) and no splitting. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

ivorthediver

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 09:00:33 pm »

Thanks DickyD....that sounds like a worth while exercise ...!

I was a keen R/C plane builder before the kids came on the scene and now I have returned to modeling 34 years later I preferred to build ships instead, so I think a lot of the "secrets" I may have learned had I started with Boats have eluded me....

Still thats the beauty of sites like this....somebody has already "done that" and knows how to avoid it again.....I just need to catch up    :((

Regards Ivor

ivorthediver

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 07:46:41 am »

OK Martin........................ I have bittern the bullet and fitted a kicking plank as advised and it looks OK....

Thank you gentlemen for your advice which will be implemented on the next build

Regards Ivor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.