Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: U 534  (Read 6330 times)

TCC

Re: U 534
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 02:51:59 pm »

I don't think there's anything missing under the bandstand, just the way it was sllid apart, or seemed to have been. The bandstand isn't original either, when it came to Birkenhead (called the one eyed city by the way, look it up), there was no conning tower, just stumps of where the Schnorkel and periscope came out. A new one was built by Lairds Foundation    students. Obviously no armour at all in the old one 

I though you meant the 'bandstand'... Birkenhead is called the 'one eyed city'... and that's a new one on me.

Did those apprentices ever finish the 'Landfall'? I went to Cammell Lairds once (late 80s/early 90s?) and it was dragged up on a slipway at the side of the main one, took a few pix (camera wasn't v good so don't get your hopes up)... I was actually going to scan and throw them up on a gallery here. [Landfall is an old LCT 7074 that was made into a floating nightclub that was sited in one of the Liverpool docks till the 80's/90s?] What happened to that?

Cammell Laird then still had all the wooden formers still there from forming the 'fins' and those type of pieces from the type 2400's (as that's what was written on them). It was just a wooden frame (all in the same 4x2"?) the same shape as the fin/rudder/whatever but with cross pieces to strengthen it. But I've since been to a firework display (bonfire night?) on the mersey and in the distance you could see this big fire on CLs slipway and I thought 'there goes all those pieces I found quite interesting'

dave301bounty

Re: U 534 Landfall
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 04:19:09 pm »

The Landfall was ,as best as my memory is , ( not too bad  for a worn  scouser with loads of shipyard memories  ) was moved to the Stanley dock in about 80  s,and i think she was scuttled ,then after a long time ,and Mr Peel said so ,she went for scrap ,about the same time as that fella got the wooden brig up off the bottom .  Mr Garston will correct me ,no doubt  ,i don,t mind .  past all that now .you,ll never erase my memories .They published a book about us and me .quite good .

garston1

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 05:36:30 pm »

Right Mr 301bounty, I'm going to correct you, (you're goin to hate me for this). The Landfall is in Birkenhead by Duke Street Bridge. It's up for grabs at £250,000, but if you buy it there's £1,000,000 grant that's yours. You fancy goin halves?

dave301bounty

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 06:33:24 pm »

I  Knew it ,  i was,nt sure ,Well done again .Mr Garston you are a whealth of very interesting  facts and others ..Good on ya for keeping me updated ,  and is,nt that the rusty hulk on the watermill knukle.

The long Build

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 04:41:03 pm »

I don't think there's anything missing under the bandstand, just the way it was slid apart, or seemed to have been. The bandstand isn't original either, when it came to Birkenhead (called the one eyed city by the way, look it up), there was no conning tower, just stumps of where the Schnorkel and periscope came out. A new one was built by Lairds Foundation    students. Obviously no armour at all in the old one 

Went there today and asked about this section , and was told that all they did was left the new top structure in the correct place and slid the cut section forward , Apparently cut apart by large diamond tipped cutter and they only lost according to the tour guide 1cm per cut.   

Although I can understand people when they are saying it was a shame that it has been cut up , however my son would never have gone into the sub as it was originaly & they only allowed 16+ in age any way to go in I believe, as it is my 7yr old son found it extremley fasinating and enjoyed the 2 hours we spent there.  I personaly think they have done a good job.

garston1

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 05:36:53 pm »

Mayhemmer, Mick, has also posted a blog to complement this one. It shows the Official U. 534 video as shown at the Sub's Museum in Birkenhead

keef666

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2009, 08:46:54 am »

With regards U534, what mersey ferries have done to this submarine, is in my mind criminal, there's what around two other class 9's left in the world, and what do they do!
cut it up and paint it green, grey wolves not green wolves, the hints in the name and remember when you pay your rates and use the tunnel who gets a share, and then they charge you for looking at  a pile of scrap metal, they could have had a great display which would have brought money in to the area, but were in wirral so what do  you expect.

TCC

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 12:46:30 pm »

Hi Keef, I know how you feel but they tried 'showing it off in one piece' and they did give it a chance to 'bring money into the area'. The trouble is that it DIDN'T!

So let's play god, you have U534 on your hands, what do YOU do with it?

.. and no, you can't take it home! :-)

What they've done irks a bit but what else could they have done? To go through it when intact, you had to be physically able to. Any daytrippers tend to include young children, the elderly or infirm... so you'd have a family day out where the group would be slpit if 'the men' wanted to go through it... and if you rule out small kids, well that'd put 'Mum' right off vsiting the place straight away. What would mum and sis do when dad and son went though it? wait in the car til she got on the mobile telling him 'the babys crying'?

I think those involved will be 'ship lovers' themselves and I'd have thought that cutting it would have gone against the grain with many of them.

Bowwave

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 02:04:36 pm »

As much as I agree with the sentiment that the U-boat should have remained  in one piece, there was little  choice . Either it was separated into three sections or went for scrap.  I went aboard the vessel when it was a single hull. I was fit and could climb  up the steps and then down through a narrow hatch into the interior. I was one of a limited number that were able to do this. Now EVRY ONE can see what  it must have been like within such a confined space.  So all the  rhetoric of "you can only have this boat in  one piece" realy does miss the point. Now there is a genuine reason why people not that  knowledgeable about  U-boats can  pay a visit to this exhibition .
Bowwave

amdaylight

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2009, 03:00:34 pm »

The other thing to think about is how would they have gotten it safe and cleaned up so some one could walk through it, this way the interior is still intact and can be studied without having to worry about is this part original, a reproduction, or somebodies idea of what was there. I have toured the USS Blueback here in Portland and even though I am reasonably fit it was tough for me to get through, no children and definitely no one that has a mobility problem. It looks like the way they choose to display this submarine really makes sense in that every can see the inside and appreciate the cramped quarters.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

garston1

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2009, 07:23:10 pm »

Plus it's grey, it's as grey as a big grey thing on a grey day in greytown, not green!

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2009, 10:05:37 pm »

Hey it could have been worse, I'm supprised them scouser's didn't paint it yellow and put cardboard cutouts of John, Paul, George and Ringo on it!!  :}
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.