Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: U 534  (Read 6329 times)

garston1

U 534
« on: February 08, 2009, 08:35:42 pm »

Me and dave301bounty were at Woodside ferry in Birkenhead this afternoon looking at the new display that's opening on Tuesday of U534, and it looks pretty good. There's a new shop that sells lots of different types of model sub kits and loads of WW11 books, as well the new museum part that's got all of the interior items, enigma machine, personal items from the sailors plus the Uboat itself. well worth a nose. 

Bowwave

Re: U 534
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:11:54 pm »

An excellent visit and   is officially  open to the public as from today and for the first time  a chance to see clearly the interior of this extraordinary U-boat . Apart from the boat  there is a well thought out exhibition area and shop.  The exhibition/museum is also open   from 10-30am last admission 5.00pm including Sunday.

Bowwave

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 12:33:15 pm »

Do you have any more pictures of the exhibit Bowwave?

I consider myself lucky to be one of the last visitors to the 534 when she was in Birkenhead so I would like to see what they have done with it now.  A lot of people, including myself, were very apprehensive to see the u-boat, after surviving 50 years on the sea bed, to be cut up into sections but if doing that makes it more accessible to more people then maybe it was worth it.

I guess it's time for a trip to Liverpool!  By the way can you tell us exactly where it is?
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:57:25 pm »

I can understand the decision to cut it up to encourage more visitors. Visiting HMS Ocelot at Chatham entails clambering through a set of access hatches as per the pic below. Not easy for a lot of people, particularly those older ones who may find the vessel of particular historical interest. Less visitors=less income.

Colin

Bowwave

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:02:03 pm »

Do you have any more pictures of the exhibit Bowwave?

I consider myself lucky to be one of the last visitors to the 534 when she was in Birkenhead so I would like to see what they have done with it now.  A lot of people, including myself, were very apprehensive to see the u-boat, after surviving 50 years on the sea bed, to be cut up into sections but if doing that makes it more accessible to more people then maybe it was worth it.

I guess it's time for a trip to Liverpool!  By the way can you tell us exactly where it is?
Hi Bunkerage  The U534 is now  at the  Mersey  Ferry terminal at Woodside Birkenhead. If your approaching from the M53 take the A-41 turn off to Birkenhead  and it will take you right to Woodside , good parking and the exhibition. hope this helps . :-))
Bowwave

dave301bounty

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:56:06 pm »

I Have photos of this ,when she was being readied for the cut and move ,,when they moved her out and before they cut her there was this good chance and i got some good pics ,also as they were cutting ,got some , very clever .The boss man gave us a very interesting talk on what will happen ,and he allowed us to photo the work ,,if i can get these shaped to go on mayhem ,i will put them on ,but i will have to get Mr Garston to help me .

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:06:54 pm »

Thanks for the information Dave
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

garston1

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 03:01:09 pm »

An update of the newly opened U-534

garston1

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 03:06:33 pm »

a few more

garston1

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 03:10:56 pm »

and a few more

garston1

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:14:34 pm »

last couple

garston1

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 03:17:59 pm »

P.S, note the man without the head!

dave301bounty

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 03:22:46 pm »

YEH.

bigH

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 03:29:32 pm »

:-))   WOW ! Garstone thank you for your excellent phots', I felt that I was actually there, the unit is well laid out and displayed and I think that I will make an effort to visit it in the summer.
         Once again thank you.   bigH

Bowwave

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 03:41:15 pm »

You missed the model !!!!!  Excellent photos  though  well done  O0
Bowwave

garston1

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 03:47:13 pm »

you're right, I might pop down tomorrow and get some of it. (It was a bit good wasn't it?)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 04:39:53 pm »

Lovely shots Garston1, many thanks for posting them for us.  I am still not sure about it being cut open but they have obviously done a very nice job of displaying it and made it accessible to all.  I guess I get the best of both worlds having been able to go through it before it was moved.

I definately need to go and have a look now!

The long Build

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 06:37:03 pm »

Any Idea of prices ? or is it free, also is there a website .

Stavros

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 07:03:30 pm »

£5 admission  see link http://www.uboatstory.co.uk/

Stav

The long Build

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 07:54:18 pm »

Stavros

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 11:41:28 pm »

Decided to pay it a visit today EXCELLENT it is,dont go at the weekend too busy !!!!!!!!!! Screaming kids running around annoying everyone,apart from that excellent venue

Stav

TCC

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 03:56:25 am »

Lovely shots Garston1, many thanks for posting them for us.  I am still not sure about it being cut open but they have obviously done a very nice job of displaying it and made it accessible to all.  I guess I get the best of both worlds having been able to go through it before it was moved.
Yeah, That's how I felt about it. I know why they've done it and the problems they faced without any £ coming in but it still smacks a touch of vandalism to cut it up.

That knife looked vicious... and the prints with sillouettes of the merchant ships at different distances, sorta brings it home what they were about.

About the cut under the bandstand, it that bit missing or are the pieces just moved apart? If so, what happened to the missing bit(s)? Storage?

garston1

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 08:22:30 am »

I don't think there's anything missing under the bandstand, just the way it was sllid apart, or seemed to have been. The bandstand isn't original either, when it came to Birkenhead (called the one eyed city by the way, look it up), there was no conning tower, just stumps of where the Schnorkel and periscope came out. A new one was built by Lairds Foundation    students. Obviously no armour at all in the old one 

dave301bounty

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 09:59:58 am »

Hey Garston .What,s this about the One Eyed  city ,,and have y,told them ,,mayhemers   ,about who rectified the Conning tower ,and who was responsible for saving this sub from the scrap ,  it,rather the way our culture is going in this place is ,Football rules ,no skills required ,so anything that does not have a football related image   it,s not in favour .Model boats ,historic ships artifacts , All are threatened  but for the men who will model the same and keep it going  .

garston1

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 02:37:09 pm »

Well said Dave301bounty! I love it when you get on your high horse and have a ramble. I'll be round to the asylum later today to feed you with some nice warm soup from a beaker
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.