Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RG65's at Springbok MBC  (Read 3277 times)

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
RG65's at Springbok MBC
« on: January 30, 2009, 10:58:13 pm »

Hi

We have a growing fleet of RG65 yachts at Springbok MBC (Alfold, nr. Guildford UK). Most are JIF65's, some with various modifications.

Generally we find that the JIF needs a somewhat heavier keel weight than the one shown on the MMI plan, particularly if you want to sail in all conditions.

The attached photo's show 3 different JIF65's sailing at the club this morning.

Victor

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: RG65's at Springbok MBC
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:51:11 am »

Nice pics, thanks.

The RG 65 is another good model for a first time scratch build. And growing in popularity, I believe.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 07:57:04 am »

Nice pics, thanks.

The RG 65 is another good model for a first time scratch build. And growing in popularity, I believe.
Yes, there is a growing community in the USA too and fleets in Holland and Switzerland as well as those in France, Germany and Spain and in the longer established South American countries and an inaugural is world championship scheduled for 2010 in Buenos Aires, where it all began.
The British figures would look even better if the skippers of two of the boats in the photos could be persuaded to get sail numbers ok2 

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:43:16 am »

Victor I see that sail nš 13 is yours. How did the building go?
Btw, the top Brazilian boats that led the fleet in the S. American championships carry up to 700 g ballast, depending on the conditions. :o

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:40:21 am »

Hi

The red JIF in the photo is registered, but for some reason the owner hasn't put the number on the sail! The natural coloured one isn't yet, but I will persuade him to register it, plus we have several other JIF's and one Puma that need registering!

I put a post on this site about 18 months ago, detailing my build of JIF sail no. 13. Since then I have built a second JIF (sail no. 14) which I normally sail, but yesterday for some reason I gave 13 an outing! The attached photo shows No. 14 and I must get a sailing shot of 14. I just got a new camera, a Canon EOS digital SLR, so I am suddenly taking photographs again!

I keep a log of my model sailing and last year I recorded around 70 hours on the water time, with my 2 JIF's.

The newer JIF (No. 14) is definitely a better boat than No. 13, but then 13 was my first yacht build and I learned a lot along the way! the main changes were:-

1. The hull bulkheads and fin box were constructed from 3mm liteply rather than balsa, as I found the hull tended to distort a bit with balsa formers whilst applying the sheeting.
2. The balsa hull is finished with JAP tissue, doped on and then spray painted, which makes a much better finish and also is a lot tougher.
3. 25% heavier keel weight.
4. Ply rudder blade
5. Carbon spars
6. Panelled 50 micron film sails, made by Housemartin Sails, who I would thoroughly recommend.
7. More powerful sail servo, which is needed in strong wind conditions.

Victor

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 02:34:19 pm »

Victor, I think there was a bit of discussion on sail numbering, which is different from normal. It's basically one owner and one sail number. If, like you, the owner has multiple boats, only the hull serial numbers change, but the sail number remains the same. The same goes for fins/ballasts if there is more than one per boat. You might have a word with Chris Jackson, who is in more regular contact with the International Class Association.
Anyway, rules apart, they're an ideal boat for transport, building and, with their light weight, able to give the bigger boats a run for their money.
Btw, I like your water availability - if you can't sail you can try your luck with the roach or bream or suchlike :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.