Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the 'plates' or 'gratings' over a capital ships' hawse pipes?  (Read 2873 times)

TCC

On some capital ships, I've seen a grating type plate over the hawse pipe opening on the deck, what's the score with them? I've seen HOOD either with them and without. Are they removavle and stored onboard ship?

Do all capital ship have them?

I have a set for LION and I'm wondering how they go.

Thanks

catengineman

Re: What are the 'plates' or 'gratings' over a capital ships' hawse pipes?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 03:28:23 am »

Just about every ship has a cover of some sort over the hawse pipe's to stop you putting your foot in it I would imagine,
On modern ships the plate helps stop the bow wave being funneled onto the fore deck.

IMO

R,

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:41:08 am »

On some capital ships, I've seen a grating type plate over the hawse pipe opening on the deck, what's the score with them? I've seen HOOD either with them and without. Are they removavle and stored onboard ship?

Do all capital ship have them?

I have a set for LION and I'm wondering how they go.

Thanks

I think just about every ship I've been on have these plates which are, as far as I know, to stop water coming up the hawse pipes and flooding the foc's'le when the ship is in heavy seas.  When the ship is on "Stand By", entering or leaving port the anchors are always freed, which includes removing the stoppers as well as these plates so they are then considered as ready.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:38:51 am »

Bunkerbarge is right. I have an indelible memory on board the ferry to the Scilly Isles when I was a boy. It was a rough crossing and we had Harold Wilson on board (Mrs W and kids had gone by chopper). We also had on board a rather largish and statuesque middle aged lady dressed in a tweedy outfit and skirt who was enjoying the quite exhilarating ride. She stalked up to the bow of the ship (which you could do in those days) and stood with legs akimbo over the hawseholes. And then the ship dipped into a rather large wave.....  :o

This was one vessel that was NOT fitted with gratings.

Colin

TCC

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:56:32 pm »

Well lads, I hope we're not confusing merchant shipping with warships?

I'm looking at every (RN) capital ship forecastle deck I can find and it's only a small... very small percentage of shots that show them fitted. NELSON during an public open day, some (1) of HOOD during the mid-20's or mid 30s. Non of the wartime shots of Battlecruisers show these plates... and they are gratings with holes and slits across them, not a solid plate of steel. I'd hardly think they'd stop enough water up the pipe to be worthwhile to make and fit them. Plates? yes... grating? It's clear that they are to stop a foot (or man) disappearing down the pipe itself.

This is LIONs forecastle deck (plan):

I need to know if these gratings are those flat pieces drawn fitted in the hawse pipe or whether the grating sits atop of the hawse pipe rim moulding (the bit that protrudes just above the planking)? Here's where I am:

See the new brass etchings and the original plates across the pipes? I don't know whether these etchings are instead of or addional to the plates in the pipes.

Here's HOOD:

and this is NELSON:

On these 2 ships, the plates are sat atop the hawse pipe rim, in my LION plan, they appear to be sat slightly down in the pipe... and they don't have the grating 'slits' depicted that the others do in real life.

Are my etched versions 'in addition to' or 'instead of'?

Jeez.. I've just realised what I'm missing and how I should have finished the edge to the planks... it's those cuts that andy (dreadnought72?) has been doing. I thought it was just as gap of plain grey painted deck between the planks and the hardwood 'spurnwater'. As Homer would say.. 'Doh!'

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:31:31 pm »

Hi TCC,

Nibs up to the margin plank:

It looks like you could let in a narrow margin plank between your spurnwater and main planking. Or even just fill the gap with Milliput, and paint a suitable colour? That might work well at your scale.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

TCC

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 03:41:18 pm »

Andy
I'm actually short of planks but I have about 2 full lengths worth of the dross left over... you know.. the cxxp I wouldn't use 1st time around. So I've took these bits off to re-shape those hawse rims and I'll have to re-use what I've taken off.

But with the dross and cut-off bits, I'll have enough to do this bit.

The stern? If I don't have enough plank, I'll just use some thin softwood as it's only the colour you see, you don't really see the grain once it's sanded. [he said knowing he hasn't varnished it yet] as this strip is less than a matchstick thickness... there's not enough room for a grain pattern to develope, luckily.

Even if I have to use matchsticks, I don't want to use grey as wood up to that spurnwater will look so much better and it's part why I've removed these planks when I'm so short of replacments. Actully, matchsticks are too pale and a bit too big but you know the score.

Still, thanks for the idea. Nothing in the AOTS book on these plates?

About those nibs, I knew they were around the diagonal areas inboard of the ship but I just didn't connect them to being at either end of the deck on the outer edge. And I should have used this technique to surround the pipe lips instead of cutting the planks off, I should have just cut a plank to surround the pipe rim and timmed the deck planks to suit it.

Ah well worse things happen at sea, so to speak.

fooman2008

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 05:57:39 pm »

Whenever we were coming into port or going out we always would unship the covers over the chain pipe and hawse pipe just in case we needed to drop the hook in a hurry!  After we were secured from sea and anchor detail we would replace the covers as part of our securing for sea and leave them there except for really foul weather.  In the the Northern Sea of Japan we hit the edge of a typhoon and lost both hawse pipe covers, due to 30+ foot waves over the bow and up the hawse pipes just blew them off and overboard.  We ordered another set from the shipyard in the Philippines and whenever the weather would get bad after that we would remove them and put them in the windbreak with a large sign on both doors warning that they were off.  Never had a problem with the chain guards since they didn't get the waves up them.
Foo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.