Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: racing sparrow  (Read 8314 times)

steamboatbob

racing sparrow
« on: February 10, 2009, 11:32:38 am »

has anyone tried one of these

http://www.racingsparrow.co.nz/index.html

i am looking for feedback as i am interested in doing this as a fun sail boat and plans are available free on the internet for various sizes

it is a plank on frame hull and looks fairly easy

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: racing sparrow
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 06:01:57 pm »

I liked it so much I bought the book  :-)) It was a straight forward build but I wouldn't repeat the covering of the hull with resin and filler, I'd use another layer of glass tissue. The reason being I found it quite difficult to get an even depth over the whole hull. I'd also use a different method for securing the rigging chainplates on the deck.

Mine is 770mm long, which is a nice size for the car and sails very well.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Damien

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 05:27:09 am »

My brother inlaw has built two he has the book direct from the designer Bryn Heveldt who was best man at his daughters wedding i have downloaded the 750mm plans and will borrow the book.
Brother & sister inlaw will be our house guests within the next few days as their town is under imminent fire threat.

porsche356supersport

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 04:01:53 pm »

I have bought the book as well but was not aware that there are 1000mm plans available.  Can you let me know where I can download this for free on the net as you mentioned.  Do you know if the 1000mm version qualifies for IOM racing in that case?

steamboatbob

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 10:20:47 pm »

if you click on the link i posted above porche356 it has all of those plans available for downloading to your computer

amdaylight

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:13:51 pm »

Hey Steamboatbob,

Thank you for finding that web site, I ordered the book (paid $13.00 American plus shipping at Amazon) and while not much of a good read, just enough text with plenty of photos to get the job done. It is a great book to learn how to build a nice sail boat and I highly recommend it to any one who is thinking of build their first sail boat. :-)) Once I get a few of the projects off of the work bench I will be building one. I just have not decided weather to build the 750 or the 1000.

Thanks Again :-))

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:00:34 am »

If you went for a 65 cm hull, it might make a good RG65 boat. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RG65SailboatsUS/ At least that way your more likely to find some people sailing the same class.

amdaylight

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:00:00 pm »

I used to race 6 meters and crew on 12 meters, my sailboat racing days are over. Just trying to keep up with the Jones so you are competitive would just drive me nuts AGAIN.  O0 All I want is a nice little boat that I can make look fairly scale and take it to the pond and have fun sailing it.  O0

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

John C

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 07:28:55 pm »

Amdaylight
I totally agree, all I want is a relaxing hour (if possible on my own or with like minded people) but it rarely happens that way. As soon as you put a boat on the water, The model boat groupies gather and then you get "if you joined this club or whatever" or "is it a whatever" or you don't wanna do that".
I've done 1/1 sailing and it's the same......I didn't like it either, so I suppose we'll just have to buy our own lakes.

Here's hoping for six numbers on the lottery

John C

k4s

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 05:01:49 am »

I have to agree,the solo sailing is a great way to relax and unwind at the end of the day.
    Virgin  radio guy here. :-)I have just put together a kit,Seawind,and been sailing it for about 3 weeks.An absolutely vertical learning curve,so every step of the way has ,so far,been new and inspiring.
    I got the model initially to just go sailing,never really wanted to build it.
    Glad I did,enjoyed it so much I'm now going to have a go at a "real" build.Bought the book so here goes.
   I'm going to do the 1.0m ,just because the size of the seawind is perfect,not to big,not to small and because there seem to be alot around in this size/class.
   If it works out well and at a reasonable cost a tuning boat could be on the cards.I love fooling with sails and rigging but you really cant tell if a change has worked or not when sailing on your own.

Bugsy

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 08:40:48 am »

I'm glad I found this thread and have just ordered the book from Amazon.UK and printed the bulkhead plans for the 1 metre.

It looks like a good winter project.

Why Amazon.UK ? well £7.99 .............. Amazon. France 25.05 euros ..................Amazon. Germany 32.68 euros  >:-o

No contest really.

Bugsy

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 02:54:46 pm »

If you take the plans and enlarge them by 133% they come out exactly at 1 metre.

Now to order some balsa  :-))

cosmosman

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 03:56:49 pm »

Found a copy of the book in a discount bookstore for £2.00. Going to have a crack at making one of these.

Bugsy

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 12:34:49 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.