Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Car Blower Motor  (Read 8078 times)

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Which Car Blower Motor
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 01:53:12 am »

Any idea what model Renault the Siemens motors were out off?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 01:37:54 pm »

Why use a car blower motor in the first place? Many cars now have powered seat adjustment motors. Top line old Ford Grenadas had them (Thanks to Brian_c for this). The motors are powerful, fit the original questioners diameter requirements and BEST OF ALL come with a lovely spring coupling that obviates the use of "universals". I use these motors in all my "heavy" ships and am really chuffed with them. Loads of power, behave beautifully with a decent speed controller (I use RC Lines units), low power drain, don't get hot, and have a well designed mounting plate attached which makes fitting into the hull pretty easy. They are polarity reversible as well. As always, there is one teeny weeny thing you will have to do to fit the spring coupling. The spring coupling has 1/8" square ends. My method of fitting is to use a 1/2" length of ally. rod one end drilled to fit the shaft diameter and the other drilled and filed square to fit the spring. The round end fitted with a "grub" screw as usual.

Slightly different but still on prop shafts. Why go to the trouble of soldering grease nipples etc. into the shaft outer casing?
Drill a hole in the outer casing (as one does)and then do one of 2 things. 1). Remove one of the shaft bearings ( they are only a push fit) and slide a short length of close fitting brass tube on to the shaft. The tube can slide over the hole.
2) Drill the hole and bung a "Terry Clip" over it. Both work well but the clip is simple and easy. Of course, your grease gun will have to be fitted with a suitable brass tube "probe". Just trying to be helpful       Bryan Young.
Notes from a simple seaman

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 02:13:04 pm »

Good idea Bryan - are these motors actually more powerful than blower motors and could you give an idea of their maximum revs ?
       cheers rats

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 11:41:28 am »

Good idea Bryan - are these motors actually more powerful than blower motors and could you give an idea of their maximum revs ?
       cheers rats
I don't know what the revs are but the motor can certainly shove my 120lb "Gold Ranger" along pretty sharpish when I need to dodge our "Keep Death Off The Lake" brigade. (It runs a single 3" 4 bladed brass prop) and also has no problem heaving all that weight to a halt from the rarely used max speed.         Bryan Young.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.