The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Steam

live steam injectors

(1/1)

knoby:
has anybody had experience of using live steam injectors to replenish boilers?
i have never heard of this being done in a model marine boiler  & theres probably a really good reason for this. but i dint know what the reason is.
can anybody enlighten me?
 cheers glenn

bogstandard:
Glenn,

I tried many years ago to run A Cheddar Puffin plant with an injector, and it was almost a total failure.

I say almost, because I did get it to work after a fashion, by taking the boiler very close to it's upper limits, and only then with no other steam being used, the engine was stationary.

I was using the smallest injector available, and there just wasn't enough pressure or volume from the boiler to get a continuous flow of topup water. It is still in a box somewhere, destined to be forgotten.

I suppose with one of the larger Stuart boilers, it might work, but I think you would be banging your head against a brick wall with the standard size of marine boilers.

John

SteamboatPhil:
As John has said, you need a fairly large boiler, with a good steam pressure just to make the injector work. Works on loco's as you have a driver, large boiler and hands on control.
My advice (same as Johns) don't even go there
Besides injectors are bl**dy tricky things as the best of times.
Clack vavle, simple.
Phil

knoby:
thanks guys, i kinda knew that was going to be the answer. i had a 5 inch gauge simplex for a while & even then the injector was a bit temperamental to say the least !!!
i just wondered if they had evolved much.
its a shame, replenishing the boiler with hot water would be so nice so i guess its back to the mechanical pump for me lol
thanks Glenn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version