Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gaurd rails  (Read 3101 times)

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
gaurd rails
« on: September 28, 2006, 02:25:07 pm »

Instead of using brass wire for 1/96 scale stanchions try using .5mm round plastruct.Works well when the rail is forming a circle.Treads through the eyes with out pulling stanchions over !

chromedome

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Re: gaurd rails
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 03:57:48 pm »

Chromedome, similar to my experience with 0,2mm Fishermans Nylon-rope.

The trouble is, at scale 1:96 calculate the diameter of the rail up. A 1mm wire would make a 96mm at the origin  ;D
Big hands they must have had these days....

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

cdsc123

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:02:40 pm »

1/24th scale Admiralty style stanchions (for Fairmiles etc) can be nicely made by cutting the required lengths off a piece of 3mm GRP rod (I got mine from a fabric blind which had been thrown away- I also saved the plastic rings the draw cords pass through as these are ideal for ASR launch antenna dividers). Put the rod in the chuck of your Dremel and turn them over a file (then sandpaper) leaving the original thickness at the bottom and where the guard rail wires will pass through (use 10lb braided steel plastic covered fishing gimp for this) then sand flats on these "orbs" to make drilling easier. A 3mm brass washer makes a good base.

dunkyg

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:36:45 pm »

cdsc, or anyone else, any idea how i could make the nets (are they nets?) at the back of my type45 destroyer? its 1/144 scale and im stuck!

cdsc123

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 08:34:16 pm »

Hi Dunk
Try aluminium car body repair bridging mesh. Once painted it should look OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.