Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay still sucks  (Read 6546 times)

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
Ebay still sucks
« on: February 13, 2009, 07:59:20 am »

A recent ebay auction of mine was cancelled because although I accepted their dictatorial Terms that Paypal be listed in the Payments Options and showed it in my listing, I added a paragraph that as the Boat has to be collected, Cash is therefore the method I will accept.

Some moaning so and so, who probably had no intention of bidding complained and the auction was cancelled.

I question the legality of Ebays action in insisting that a seller has to accept Paypal as the method - any legal people on here ?

This dictatorial practice aimed at getting even more exorbitant monies into the Ebay/Paypal profits is an abuse of position.

Needless to say if someone ignores my requirements in the auction, I'll just cancel their payment and keep relisting until someone who is prepared to accept cash as the method comes along.

You might question why I have this attitude towards Paypal - well I have been scammed several times in the past 5 years inspite of taking all the precautions recommended by these entities - trying to get money back is not easy from them. And thanks to the scammers I too now know how to use Paypal and still avoid paying for auctions if I so desired - which I dont, if I dont like peoples requirements I dont bid, simple as that.

What do you guys feel on this ?

Martin - is there any chance of having an Auction Style forum on the website ?

Andrew

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ebay still sucks
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 08:41:35 am »

I agree Dan totally but when selling Ebay FORCE you to offer Paypal thats the problem.

Whoever complained about my first listing obviously got a bit touchy with the revised one pointing out that if I didnt like someone I would send the payment back - as Ebay cancelled it a second time

They are pathetic

Incase anyone wants a good read try  www.paypalsucks.com   a genuine website

The bottom line with Paypal is, if you use your credit card to fund it, you can go to your Credit Card Company at anytime in the next 12 months or so and say I was checking through my old statements, and this transaction was nothing to do with me. They send it back to Paypal, who debit the person who received the funds.

Makes a mockery of saying its the quickest and safest way of completing transactions.

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:42:28 am »

forgot to say Dan, a seller agreeing to accept cash by post is in breach of ebays listing policies I believe   :police:

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:46:21 am »

Auctions on Mayhem has been mulled over a couple of times in the past and unfortunately it purely comes down
to onus of responsibility. Ie. if something goes wrong or a bidder feel unjustly done, who do they complain too?
Mayhem can't at as the intermediary.... we're a model boat website!

So far the sales board rules have served us well and no real difficulties so far, ie, each sales should have a picture
and a fixed price... if a buyer wants to offer more than the asking price, well that up to them.

Martin.  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 08:50:07 am »

forgot to say Andrew, I only buy, don't sell !!!    O0

yes but the guy selling to you is breaching the rules   {:-{

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:16:25 am »

Let's be fair guys, would you expect to be able to use Mayhem as an auction site for free? 

I completely agree with you views on Paypal and eBay's manipulation so quite simply I don't use it.  There is no point in complaining about it because you will be ignored but eventually people will actually do some thing constructive and eBay/Paypal will be forced to act.

I have said for years that it was grossly biased and unfair that sellers could demand feedback before leaving it thereby manipulating buyers into leaving only positive for fear of reprisal.  eBay even encouraged this practise by allowing thier high sellers to set up automatic feedback systems, which to me made a joke of the whole thing.  Now, as a direct result of falling sales, they have had to rethink this and they have changed thier tactics such that sellers cannot leave negative feedback on buyers.  Similarly if everyone stopped using eBay they would have to be more flexible on thier payment requirements but that is never going to happen as long as people try to get around the system.

I am sick of being ripped of by crooks on eBay and getting absolutely no support whatsoever from eBay.  The last time the guy charged me 25 quid for delivery then refused to refund me when I picked the item up.  So I won't use them any more.  Hopefully more and more people will do the same and eBay will loose so much money they will have to listen and take action but for me they aren't the only auction site out there and if they refuse to get involved and protect the buyers then they deserve to go out of business just as any other company will.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 10:19:42 am »

There only one way Ebay will listen . Competition. There is none. Yes New Zealand has its on auction site , but globally its nothing . Until the likes of Google or Yahoo start there own auction site ebay can do what they want. Look at ebay/paypal 8 years ago and now. The customer is charged for more now and has less rights why. No competition . You want to get at ebay. Start by trying to get one of the big boys to play, Till then we are very very small fish in a big sea.

john

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 10:24:34 am »

There only one way Ebay will listen . Competition. There is none. Yes New Zealand has its on auction site , but globally its nothing . Until the likes of Google or Yahoo start there own auction site ebay can do what they want. Look at ebay/paypal 8 years ago and now. The customer is charged for more now and has less rights why. No competition . You want to get at ebay. Start by trying to get one of the big boys to play, Till then we are very very small fish in a big sea.

john

Indeed - thats why Ive now listed the boats on Mayhem   O0

Come on Martin lets get Ebay worried   <*< <*< <*<

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 12:17:35 pm »

I believe in Australia (but I could be wrong) that E-Bay is currently trialling that Paypal is the only accepted method of payment to much public outcry down there, with plans of rolling it out world wide if deemed successful (to them of course). I have had a few listings removed as I did not have Paypal listed as a payment option but this does not seem to apply in Europe as yet, as it is an exception to the rule to see a listing with the Paypal option in France or Germany for example.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

andygh

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 12:34:38 pm »

I now only buy with paypal, it's saved my a##se bigtime, too many dishonest sellers

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 05:07:46 pm »

Well the miserable g*t who has complained about my auction twice before has now done it a third time

Guess what Ebay cancelled the auction YET if they had read it they would have seen that I had said I would accept Paypal - but cash on collection preferred.

Andygh - a question if you were collecting an expensive boat from someone do you consider it unreasonable to pay cash ?

If you were selling an expensive item would you be happy to meet someone yet still take Paypal - if you are, Im sorry but you are asking to be conned - if the buyer when he got home contacts his card company YOU would not have the necessary online proof that you delivered it to that person - this is defined in their rules. They even refused once to accept Royal Mail Special Delivery as proof as there was no online visual available.

It is not ONLY sellers that con people - buyers con people as well.

tomocj

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 07:34:07 pm »

I have stopped using ebay altogether ,far too many stories of people being conned .I shall use the model shops for my needs.
Chris

Damien

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 08:38:46 pm »

I believe in Australia (but I could be wrong) that E-Bay is currently trialling that Paypal is the only accepted method of payment to much public outcry down there, with plans of rolling it out world wide if deemed successful (to them of course). I have had a few listings removed as I did not have Paypal listed as a payment option but this does not seem to apply in Europe as yet, as it is an exception to the rule to see a listing with the Paypal option in France or Germany for example.

They tried to bring it in in Aust. but were taken to court and lost...  the result was that Paypal is compulsory other payments up to the seller.

One seller here in Australia uses the in their listings for paypal-----

Pick-up of items paid for using Paypal.
Pickup cannot be arranged until payment cleared to my account.
You cannot pickup the items yourself as I cannot prove delivery to Paypal.
You must arrange a registered courier compamy to pick up your item.
All courier fees will be your responsibility.

I'm sure theose terms would put off buyers using Paypal.

I will add having used ebay and paypal since 2001 with a 100% feedback on 988 items i've been scammed only 3 times  and becasuse of them I no longer sell internationally.

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 11:37:56 am »

Anyone used Ebid at all - not much on there at moment but if people spread the word......

http://uk.ebid.net/indexmain.php

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 06:54:34 pm »

I sell quite a lot of stuff, not model boat related, through my Ebay shop. The vast majority of my customers are OK, but a fortnight ago I sent three harmonicas to a man in France. He made his first complaint of non-delivery to Paypal two days after making payment. This in a week when the French postal service participated in a national strike. He also ceased at that time, I know not why, to be registered with Ebay.

The upshot is that he has three harmonicas and will surely get his money back as Paypal always sides with the buyer. And I can't even leave him negative feedback.

I do notice, though, that he has a Facebook entry. I've never taken an interest in things like Facebook before, but perhaps there's scope for revenge there. Any suggestions?
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 11:52:15 pm »

I am a buyer, not a seller. I have only ever been ripped off once in three years of "e-baying" and that was a cheque payment - fortunately for only a few quid. Just like all the other on-line transactions I do with various suppliers, I appreciate the facility to be able to pay with plastic.

My own opinion - again as a buyer - is that you can get ripped off every time you use your credit card - face to face, as well as on line or over the phone - so why worry about it. Life's like that. Sh1t happens.

Rick

dave301bounty

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 10:37:55 am »

JONTY,.Go for it .get him blast his name ,create havoc make him squirm ,.i have a viscious thing in me over these kind of  thieving things .

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 11:47:50 am »

Going into recorded delivery - I recently sent a recorded delivery letter, and duly tracked it via the Royal Mail website.  The item logged through to the delivery office and then stopped.  After a couple of days of it seemingly sitting in the delivery office I checked with the recipient - it had arrived and been actioned, but RM never actually admitted delivering it.  I wrote to them, and got the standard "Mail is not considered missing until after a fortnight" reply, and replied to that pointing out that that was not the complaint and could they please read the actual words in the complaint. 
It is quite possible that Royal Mail (and by inference, Parcel Force) have yet to grasp the idea that recording the actual delivery is central to the concept of recorded delivery.  This could lead to problems with outfits like fleabay.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

The long Build

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 12:26:00 pm »

Going into recorded delivery - I recently sent a recorded delivery letter, and duly tracked it via the Royal Mail website.  The item logged through to the delivery office and then stopped.  After a couple of days of it seemingly sitting in the delivery office I checked with the recipient - it had arrived and been actioned, but RM never actually admitted delivering it.  I wrote to them, and got the standard "Mail is not considered missing until after a fortnight" reply, and replied to that pointing out that that was not the complaint and could they please read the actual words in the complaint. 
It is quite possible that Royal Mail (and by inference, Parcel Force) have yet to grasp the idea that recording the actual delivery is central to the concept of recorded delivery.  This could lead to problems with outfits like fleabay.

Unfortunately Recorded delivery is not Worth paying out for as it is a complete joke..  Our Company receive a few items a week , and are barley ever  asked to sign for anything, also and quite regularly we have received Items not even for us unsigned, also many a time I have had recorded items just pushed through our door.

Registered and Special delivery (special delivery may have replaced registered not sure ) although more expensive is better controlled as the post office Have to get a signature, Again however not necessarily the signature of the person it is destined for.

And another point when sending registered items abroad like I did once the tracking stopped as soon as it left the UK as the Recipient country did not have facilities in place and the post office said thay could not confirm that it had been delivered   !!

Roger in France

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 06:10:34 pm »

Ah, the joys of rural France.

Here, "recorded delivery" means a kind lady who arrives in van, stays for coffee, tells you all the local scandal, takes your post away with her and narrowly remembers to give you your delivery and apologetically asks you to sign for it!

Roger in France

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 06:41:15 pm »

Is that all?  %%

wbeedie

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 06:50:19 pm »

Special delivery is the best method for the reason that every time it shifts from one plae to another it HAS to be signed for whether going to a sorting office ,depot or delivery each time it is signed for and can be trackedfrom post to delivery as the delivery postie has to sign for it and if no one to recieve it has to go back to the depot and signed over to sorting office again :-))

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 07:51:51 pm »

Special delivery is the best method for the reason that every time it shifts from one plae to another it HAS to be signed for whether going to a sorting office ,depot or delivery each time it is signed for and can be trackedfrom post to delivery as the delivery postie has to sign for it and if no one to recieve it has to go back to the depot and signed over to sorting office again :-))

Yes that is the theory I know my postman doesn't get a signature,  can't tell the differance betwwen Road and Place (daily) and doesn't inform you if he leaves anything with neighbours.
Would I employ him no and I have complained about it but.......

wbeedie

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 11:43:12 am »

Special delivery has to be made to the addressee only , if not then has to be returned to the sorting office end of story the rules wont have changed from when I was a postie a couple of years back and if the above rules are broken its a disiplinary matter ,this I do know as I mistakenlty posted  one in the wrong address and got pulled over the coals for it ,luckily the letter was returned to the sorting office  by the neighbour

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 01:33:32 pm »

Credit crunch what credit crunch, that's what the annalists and politicians will be saying if the seen the stupidly high prices things are going for on there at moment!
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.