Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Flower class build...ideas?  (Read 17535 times)

das boot

Flower class build...ideas?
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:27:27 pm »

Chaps,

I’m about to start a build of a Matchbox 1/72nd scale Flower class corvette(I had one years ago made up as HMS Bluebell…she met a sad end in Princes Park Lake, Eastbourne, got her prop tangled around a bouy line and went down with all hands) I can’t remember for the life of me how I fitted her out, so this is going to be a totally new build.

I have in mind…
A Mabuchi 280 motor driving a 30mm prop via a six inch prop shaft
An ACTionMan Pico esc
One of Mark’s micro servos rotating the front cannon
Another of Mark’s micro servos rotating the rear deck mounted cannon
A standard size Futaba servo for the rudder control
A four cell battery pack for the combined motor/radio

A destroyer siren board with a speaker mounted forward up in the bow space
Some working lights(not sure which yet)
A separate four cell battery pack for the sound and lights

Any comments/criticisms welcomed please…

Rich

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Flower class build...ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:02:54 pm »

Hi Rich mine was a bit more basic than yours.

Deans Marine Kyte motor
6" prop shaft with oil filler
3 bladed brass prop
Marine 5 speed controller
7.2v nicad battery pack.
Universal prop shaft coupling
Existing kit rudder bonded to smaller rudder with resin
Futaba 2 channel radio.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

das boot

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:10:42 pm »

Not too far out Dickie...how does the Kyte motor compare, size wise, to a 280? Is it bigger or smaller? I thought I'd use the 280 'cos I've already got a brand new one, plus a brand new Pico esc and battery pack bought for my Mighty Mo...recycling at it's best.

Rich

ivorthediver

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:26:17 pm »

One of the problems with the flower class plastic kits is the need to weight it well otherwise it bobs like a cork all over the place.

personally I would fit a sealed LA battery [which also helps with the ballasting] and in addition to the Action ESC.. I would fit a mains distribution board[ Dave's Ref P92]
as it helps keep the wiring tidy and gives you a power source for your RX supply without additional batteries to slot in  and if you are fitting lights / sounds /etc you have a common power source to go to and keep your wiring neat and tidy

Speak to "ACTION" first as he knows what to do / how to do it and will supply you with a free wiring diagram [ free if you buy his products]

I learnt the hard and expensive way  ...and I trust his judgement.....".And you get discount as a Mayhemer"   :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 08:42:55 am »

Not too far out Dickie...how does the Kyte motor compare, size wise, to a 280? Is it bigger or smaller? I thought I'd use the 280 'cos I've already got a brand new one, plus a brand new Pico esc and battery pack bought for my Mighty Mo...recycling at it's best.

Rich
Not sure how it compares for size but I just love Deans motors and have several different ones in my fleet.
The Kyte in my corvette on a 7.2v will run all morning and not flatten the battery.
Not the cheapest motor but smooth, quiet and economical. :-))

das boot

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 10:18:24 am »

One of the problems with the flower class plastic kits is the need to weight it well otherwise it bobs like a cork all over the place.

personally I would fit a sealed LA battery [which also helps with the ballasting] and in addition to the Action ESC.. I would fit a mains distribution board[ Dave's Ref P92]
as it helps keep the wiring tidy and gives you a power source for your RX supply without additional batteries to slot in  and if you are fitting lights / sounds /etc you have a common power source to go to and keep your wiring neat and tidy

Speak to "ACTION" first as he knows what to do / how to do it and will supply you with a free wiring diagram [ free if you buy his products]

I learnt the hard and expensive way  ...and I trust his judgement.....".And you get discount as a Mayhemer"   :-))

Thanks Ivor, good thinking on the distribution board, I'll email the old chap later on and see what he has to say...he's not a bad lad, is he?   %)
Point taken on the ballasting, I do remember having to weigh Bluebell down with loads of ballast to avoid that 'toy-like' bobbing about.

Thanks to you too Dickie, I'll see if I can get a comparision between the motors and then make a choice from there. I'm thinking that maybe the 280 might not be quite man enough...perhaps someone else will jump in here?

Thanks chaps,

Rich

ian kennedy

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 01:31:42 pm »

Hi Rich,

I built my Bluebell about 20 years ago, used a Mabuchi Re 385 motor and that motor is still going strong.

Power is from a 6v 4 a/h gel cell driving a 45mm diam 3 blade brass prop and speed control was and still is a 2 amp bobs board.

Although she is a tad tatty at the moment i still sail her now and then, they are great rough weather sailing models and can take punishment if you have everything water tight like port holes and hawse holes in the fore deck sealed.

I still run mine on Futaba m series 27 meg 2 channel radio and that must be about the same age as the boat as well, don't make it over complicated if it's just for fun sailing as the more elektrikery you add the more problems you will have to sort through when the gremlins strike at the pond side !!

Ian

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 01:37:40 pm »

Must agree with the 385 motor.
This will run well on 6 volts and a 6 volt 4 Amp Hour battery gives good duration and ballast.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

das boot

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 02:02:48 pm »

Hi Rich,

I built my Bluebell about 20 years ago, used a Mabuchi Re 385 motor and that motor is still going strong.

Power is from a 6v 4 a/h gel cell driving a 45mm diam 3 blade brass prop and speed control was and still is a 2 amp bobs board.

Although she is a tad tatty at the moment i still sail her now and then, they are great rough weather sailing models and can take punishment if you have everything water tight like port holes and hawse holes in the fore deck sealed.

I still run mine on Futaba m series 27 meg 2 channel radio and that must be about the same age as the boat as well, don't make it over complicated if it's just for fun sailing as the more elektrikery you add the more problems you will have to sort through when the gremlins strike at the pond side !!

Ian

Hi Ian,

That'd be about the same time as I had my Bluebell then, lovely little boat it was, such a shame she had to suffer a sad end as she did. It sounds more or less the same as I built mine(I think)
As for the electrickery...I'd like this one to be a step or two up the proverbial ladder from the original, hence the rotating turrets, etc.

Must agree with the 385 motor.
This will run well on 6 volts and a 6 volt 4 Amp Hour battery gives good duration and ballast.

Bob

Decision taken then Bob...I have a 380 low drain motor I've just found in my drawer of bits and bobs, so that's been put aside ready, just made up the prop shaft and fitted a nice 35mm 3 blade prop(I can always change it later if needs be) The kit should be here Tuesday with a bit of luck, the slipway has been cleared ready for her.

Thank you gents..

Rich

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 03:12:01 pm »

Rich,
That set up should be fine.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

das boot

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 07:46:41 pm »

Whilst waiting for the kit to arrive, I thought I'd make a start with the propshaft...pic below.

Rich

das boot

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 09:45:38 pm »

Decided on the prototype I'm going to model...HMS Gloriosa K201.

Just waiting for someone to tell me that she was cancelled on the slipway...yup, that's why I chose that particular ship.  %)
Think about it... O0

Rich

andyn

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 12:56:03 am »

Decided on the prototype I'm going to model...HMS Gloriosa K201.

Just waiting for someone to tell me that she was cancelled on the slipway...yup, that's why I chose that particular ship.  %)
Think about it... O0

Rich

Thats a good point actually, with all these builds, do you have one that is actually runable Rich?

Don't ask the question back, the answer is yes (ish) %)

das boot

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 08:16:11 am »

Answer...yes(ish)

Rigger is full working order, but sold awaiting payment   ;)
Mighty Mo is almost in working order...ish    %)
U-33 is driving me mad trying to sort out the X-tail rudders    >>:-(
Motorflote is still on the slipway   :embarrassed:

Rich

barryfoote

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 09:04:51 am »

Answer...yes(ish)

Rigger is full working order, but sold awaiting payment   ;)
Mighty Mo is almost in working order...ish    %)
U-33 is driving me mad trying to sort out the X-tail rudders    >>:-(
Motorflote is still on the slipway   :embarrassed:

Rich

.......oh and still waiting for Novgorod!!!!!!

I am really looking forward to seeing this build Rich so take plenty of photos..

das boot

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 10:34:08 am »

By George, there's young Barry...g'day, mate! I didn't dare mention the funny round thing, don't want to scare Ian off, do we?  :D

You want piccies...I'll take piccies, just for you.  %)

Hasta la vista...baby!

Rich

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 09:08:18 pm »

IM IN THE PROCESS OF DONG A GERMAN FLOWER CLASS! LOOK IT UP, THEY CATURED 4FROM THE FRENCH AND DONE THEM UP AS GAURD/FLAK/BOOM SHIPS. ALL WERE SUNK DURING THE WAR AND ALL THE INFORMATION I HAVE IS 3 PICS AND 2 LINE DRAWINGS!!! ANY HELP ANYONE????
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Hagar

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 09:35:25 pm »

Hi Klunk!
First off welcome! Just an idea, but please dont write with the caps lock on, people will think you are shouting! (not the done thing).
Right then bussiness! cant give any guarantee, but have a look here; http://theflowerclasscorvetteforums.yuku.com/directory   more flowers than Percy Throwers garden!!! Have a good look around and you might find something. They have a pretty good gallery.
Might seem that its a bit dead at times, but questions are normally answed!...
Stephan Brok has writen a good article about Kriegsmarine Flowers, You can find that here; http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/Flower/PROFILE/German_Flower.htm

The site it is on is also a good place for colour info to, but nothing else about the German boats though!

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 10:08:49 pm »

And the Japanese had some too! Captured on the ways in Hong Kong and Singapore.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

amdaylight

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 10:47:15 pm »

When I saw Ian's reply I also was wondering about that round Russian thing. ;D . . . I am going to do mine as one of the USS Tenacity, one of the ones that the US Coast Guard had. From the few pictures that I have seen most of the bridge / wheel house will need rebuilding.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

Hagar

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 09:04:45 pm »

When I saw Ian's reply I also was wondering about that round Russian thing. ;D . . .

Andre

Huh? what round russian thing??? Lost me there. {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 09:10:26 pm »

Russian navy ship Novgorod, it was round.

Hagar

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 10:12:18 pm »

Russian navy ship Novgorod, it was round.

Ah! A case of mistaken identity!!! It was Mr.Kennedy to whom Andre was refering :embarrassed: My bad :-))

ian kennedy

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 11:47:23 pm »

I know this thread was going bad for me !!!

It would seem these chaps are obsessed with the stupid round thing and forgot we were talking about Flowers {-)

Cheers

Ian

amdaylight

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 02:16:09 am »

I know this thread was going bad for me !!!

It would seem these chaps are obsessed with the stupid round thing and forgot we were talking about Flowers {-)

Cheers

Ian

We grow flowers in round things . . . . O0  See we were talking about flowers . . . O0  {-)

Andre
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.