Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tow Hook Installation  (Read 10133 times)

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
Tow Hook Installation
« on: February 14, 2009, 01:39:02 pm »

Hy Guys
I have built a few model tugs but I have never built one that was aimed at any sort of towing. So can anyone tell me where they fixed their tow hook so that that it cant be seen, what was the method of fixing, and what was used for the actual tow hook itself.
Cheeers
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Umi_Ryuzuki

Re: Tow Hook Installation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:11:25 am »

The tow hook is often just mounted out on the deck and clearly visible.

For model towing, I am usually tied off to the bitts or the staple.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:25:48 am »

I think the type of towing arrangement depends on what your are towing in terms of weight, and how close to prototype operation you want to be.
  I've towed for "appearance" where to tow is of relative light weight and used a hook. See the hook of one of my tugs. It's made of solid brass and crewed and nutted to a firm bulwark on the vessel. This hasn't pulled out for light weight tows.
 However, if you are pulling for competition, you will likely be tied to heavy tows. For example, I've towed in barge handling competitions where the barge weight is based on the class weight of the tug. In my case, my 25lb. tug had to haul a 350lb barge. To my mind a tow hook is not going to cut the mustard reliably. Hence I use towing bits made of solid brass and bolted and nutted to the hull. Properly made, I can just about lift the tug by them with no fear of them coming out.

John

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 11:15:38 am »

Hy Guys
Thanks Umi,   the towing hook that you say about is alright if I wanted it just for the look, and would be right in that respect, it,s the kind of setup I have on my other tugs that I dont tow with. What I was looking for is a method of substantualy fixing a tow hook that does,nt spoil the over all look of the tug  and would be strong enough to tow maybe a barge or such like.
Old iron .. I think I may have to go down the road of useing fixed bollards, although I would like to use a hook system. The bulkhead you have fixed the brass tow hook to,,, is that a stand alone fixing with the deck housing just placed as normal to it, or is the deck housing and the bulkhead fixed all one unit, if the later, how would you remove it for acsess to the internals.
Thanks for the replies.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:39:46 pm »

Hy Guys
Old iron .. I think I may have to go down the road of useing fixed bollards, although I would like to use a hook system. The bulkhead you have fixed the brass tow hook to,,, is that a stand alone fixing with the deck housing just placed as normal to it, or is the deck housing and the bulkhead fixed all one unit, if the later, how would you remove it for acsess to the internals.
Thanks for the replies.
Bosun

Bosun
  The hook is bolted to a fixed bulwark that is part of the hull of the tug. The fiddly deck (the part with the stack and wheel house on) is removable. When that is done, the entire inside of the vessel is open. The hook can then be unbolted from the bulwark if necessary. There is also room inside to set up a servo for a remote release if desired, although I didn't do it that way.
  If you need interior shots I can post them.

John

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 04:07:57 pm »

Out of interest - stb-stern photo - what model is that?
I have a fibreglass hull and cabin arrangement that I'm trying to sort out windows, doors, etc.
This looks similar -
Thanks,
Mike

Roger in France

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 05:29:05 pm »

The forces transmitted to the tug when towing can far exceed the weight of the tow because of many other forces acting such as drag on the water (especially where the tug direction is not dead ahead); wind on a large sided tow etc. Also, a suddenly snatched tow can cause immense strain.

I think you need to strengthen as much as possible. I would suggest nothing less than a very secure fitting which goes right down to the bottom of the hull accompanied by internal horizontal subdecks where possible. If you rely on attachments to a bulkhead then the bulkhead must be similarly secure to the hull.

Roger in France

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 06:16:07 pm »

Out of interest - stb-stern photo - what model is that?
I have a fibreglass hull and cabin arrangement that I'm trying to sort out windows, doors, etc.
This looks similar -
Thanks,
Mike

Mike:

I'm thinking you're asking about my Christmas coloured tug with the red/white/black stack. If so its a model of the SS Master out of Vancouver. The one above is a scratch built Smit Nederland.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:28:22 pm »

The forces transmitted to the tug when towing can far exceed the weight of the tow because of many other forces acting such as drag on the water (especially where the tug direction is not dead ahead); wind on a large sided tow etc. Also, a suddenly snatched tow can cause immense strain.

I think you need to strengthen as much as possible. I would suggest nothing less than a very secure fitting which goes right down to the bottom of the hull accompanied by internal horizontal subdecks where possible. If you rely on attachments to a bulkhead then the bulkhead must be similarly secure to the hull.

Roger in France

I quite agree the forces on a vessel when towing are rather large. In the case of my Master, above, I built up the underside of the deck with extra blocks of wood (see pic below). A brass plate was drilled and tapped and placed on this.. Another bras plate was put on the upper portion of the deck and similarly drilled. It was then bolt to the brass plate under the deck. When done, the deck was secured with epoxy to the hull. I can lift the aft of the tug on the bollards. It has already proven itself with a 350lb tow in river current along with towing a person in a row boat. No damage to the vessel.
  The Smit Nederland is done in a similar fashion with the towing bollards secured with steel plates under the deck. The Storm King, with the hook, is fastened to a bulwark that is part of the hull structure. i don't expect it to take the kiind of punishment I know the Master can take, but it is more than just decoration too.

John

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 07:05:53 pm »

Hy John
Thanks for the info I think I will take both options , twin fish plates on and under the deck, with the deck glassed to the hull, and an internal bulkhead glassed inside the hull. That way I can use the bollard pull as if the tug was useing a Gog line, ( we called it a Kant rope when I worked the tugs, maybe thats the Welsh way) or the hook for a direct pull. Not going to be towing anything fancy, or for competition, merely just to use the new build for something more than steaming around the lake. The new build is the Tyne Models CROSBY, and I hope to do a blog of it, although my good intentions nearly always fall at the wayside.
Roger , not forgetting your input.
Many Thanks
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 07:09:47 pm »

Bosun:

I'd like to see the build blog as you do it.

John

tugnut

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 08:19:21 pm »

Hi bosun and john ihave just made the tow hook for my tug.
It fits on the superstruckture so i will be fixing top down plus use the gog rope

john b

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 08:44:45 pm »

John:

Nice looking hook. Will it be remote release? How do you hold the superstructure down if you tow?

John

tugnut

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 08:50:50 pm »

Hi john, no just manual release, not got that far yet {:-{

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 09:19:08 pm »

Hy John B
Thats a nice looking tow hook, Looking at the brass cylinder, I was wondering if it would be possible to fit some type of inner spring, like on a fishermans scales, that would take up the tension on a large tow nice and steady. What do you guys think. It,s has probably been done by someone.
Old iron... I am charging my camera batteries as we speak :-))
bosunsmodelboats.com

tugnut

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 09:24:24 pm »

HI Bosun it has got spring in side to take the strain.
Thanks for comment :-))

John b

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 09:38:05 pm »

Hy John B
Sorry I did,nt realise , just a question, is that the norm to have a spring fitted. Just goes to show theres nothing new under the sun.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 09:53:33 pm »

A spring on a towing hook is usually present on the full size tugs. You'll find they usually use a "springy" section in the towing hawser to take up sudden jerks too. Some thing that can easily be done on a model and can be worthwhile for the preservation of the equipment.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 09:59:54 pm »

I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes here, but I found a picture in my files of tow hooks. I can't remember where I got it from so I can't offer credit.

John

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 10:29:22 pm »

Hy John, yes I knew about the springs on the real tug tow hooks I worked on the old steam and 60,s diesel tugs when I was a lad. Did,nt know if that had been used in any models. My old skipper would go crazy if we let go a tow when the tow line was taut, it would come off the hook like a whip. We did,nt take much notice of him though, we were only kids ourselves.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 10:49:32 pm »

Robbe and Graupner make several that you could model a scratch built
towing hook after...

http://www.hobby-lobby-modellbau.com/onlineshop/index.php/cat/c273_Tow-Hooks-and---.html

Shouldn't be too difficult to add a spring shock to any of these designs.

:-)

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 12:00:33 am »

Nice one Umi,,
Have added that site to my favourites :-))
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 01:57:30 am »

Been on the Master a number of times but never really looked at it from that angle.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 02:07:24 am »

Been on the Master a number of times but never really looked at it from that angle.

I can't vouch for the measured accuracy as I don't have drawings for it. I've been working solely from photographs. I also substituted bollards for a winch on the stern.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 02:08:39 am »

Try this again for a shot of the stern.

John
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.