Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elastic Rigging  (Read 2886 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Elastic Rigging
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:43:41 pm »

Rigging my Dean's Medea is a bit of a problem as the mainmast is stepped on the after deckhouse which is part of the detachable superstructure but the shrouds come down to the bulwarks which means that they have to be unhooked to remove the superstructure. It's not so much a technical problem but one of keeping the shrouds (3 each side) looking taut. Years ago I used shirring elastic on a model and I still had some of this left but allthough it still stretched after 20 years better than I do it was unacceptably hairy (no further comments please!).

So I had a look in the local Fabric Shop and found this elastic sewing thread at just over £1 a reel which comes in black, grey and a sort of ropey colour. And it isn't hairy! Problem solved maybe. Anyway I think I shall try it. If nothing else, I may be able to play tunes on it or use it as makeshift catapult.

Colin

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
Re: Elastic Rigging
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:50:25 pm »

Hi Colin
I used this method a few years ago on a Joffre, personally I thought it looked so much better than with what was supplied.
I would certainly use it again.
Alan

Capt. Spaulding

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hurray for Captain Spaulding, the African explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:33:43 pm »

I second the motion. I used elastic thread for the rigging on a gunboat I built about about three or four years, ago, and it still looks fine today.

Hmmmm...a (mini-)catapult. Now there's a thought. Pictures, please!

Cheers,
Capt. Spaulding

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 04:59:22 pm »

why not try making the shrouds out of solid brass wire with a sheerpole slotted through at the lower end? BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:23:07 pm »

Bryan, yes I did consider that and have in fact used thin brass rod for the funnel stays after feeling unhappy wth the thread I initially used. If I were making an exact scale scratch built model then I would do as you suggest but this is intended to be a quick(!) build k*t  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: so I think I'll stretch to the elastic, especially in view of the comments in the preceding posts. I just want to get the thing finished and looking halfway decent. Having said that I am actually quite impressed with the elastic thread, it's far better than the old stuff I used to use.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.