Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC: Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections  (Read 8916 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
BBC: Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:28:19 pm »

Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections....
( The story of the giant Airbus A280 )

Talk about dumbing down!!!!!  >:-o
  Is this what it takes to get the public to take an interest in engineering theses days?!?!?.... sigh!  :((

Plus I hate Hammond anyway!  <*<

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

omra85

Re: BBC: Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:41:20 pm »

You sound a bit down, Martin  :((

Try this to cheer you up
www.virtualmec.com/

Nothing like the real thing .......    %)
Danny

PS Better not ask if anyone else in the household has "views" on Hammond .......   :o  {-)

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 10:02:16 pm »

At least he's trying, trouble is in this country anyone & everyone can call themselves an engineer and as such the very name itself in not held in very high regard not like in the Victorian era when these clever men were public hero's. We are not like the Germans or French where you still have to serve a full apprenticeship and you are then highly regarded, here you pay the dosh and go an a quickee course and get a certificate for just turning up.

I think it also stems form the early days of steam power in the Royal Navy, when the upper echelons looked down on and did not know where to place and rank the new breed of qualified men that were needed  to operate the then new machinery, within the existing hierarchy structure, most of whom came from working class backgrounds.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 10:29:33 pm »

I quite like the wee man, but didn't think the programme worthy of him. Perhaps it should have gone out earlier, say about 4pm for the chilldren, as I can't believe that anyone over the age of 6 hasn't worked out winglets and shock absorbers for themselves. Wupert H-D is best at that sort of thing anyway - but I did quite like Paxo and the Victorians. Now there's proper engineering!

Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:52:04 pm »

"I can't believe that anyone over the age of 6 hasn't worked out winglets and shock absorbers for themselves".

Never underestimate the sheer stupidity of most people!

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:19:06 pm »

Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections....
 Talk about dumbing down!!!!!  >:-o
  Is this what it takes to get the public to take an interest in engineering theses days?!?!?.... sigh!  :((

Plus I hate Hammond anyway!  <*<

I don't think it was made exclusively  for a British audience, Martin (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean, say no more, squire).............and I'd rather sit through a year of Hammond than ten seconds of Cl*rks*n. At least James May has the grace to get legless and take the michael out of the preposterous Oswald Clark.

Paxman was surprisingly watchable. It was long past time he did something more constructive than just sneering at students and haranguing politicians.

TobyK - I assume you meant Adam H-D; the man whose TV appearances for HM Revenue and Customs were so pathetic that they hired Moira Stuart for this season - apparently she is more threatening! I'd  have done 'em for beer money  <*<

.......and I hadn't even worked out Twiglets by the time I was six...........or even fifty six  :o

FLJ (O all right - I'll finish my cocoa and go off to bed)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 01:41:28 am »

"I can't believe that anyone over the age of 6 hasn't worked out winglets and shock absorbers for themselves".

Never underestimate the sheer stupidity of most people!
OK I know shock absorbers come from Kick Fit. I don't know what they do, but I know they always tell me I need them.  %)

but I have been to my KFC here in China and they don't have winglets, neither does Micky D.   {:-{
Perhaps they are just for the UK market.  <:(
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 08:56:05 am »

OK TT, what are the Chinese KFC & McDonalds specialities?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:17:13 am »

TobyK - I assume you meant Adam H-D
Adam is Rupert's son. And on a (more on topic) sailing note (but a less-on topic real sailing note) Rupert arranged the autobiography of Arthur Ransome, among his other publishing/writing work.

Pointless fact #3423

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:56:20 am »

Since most people call dampers shock absorbers I can well believe most adults don't know what they are......

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 10:21:01 am »

take the michael out of the preposterous Oswald Clark.

His real name is Robin BTW.... fact gained by actually watching the programme.

LB

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 11:12:36 am »

His real name is Robin BTW.... fact gained by actually watching the programme.
LB

Is that a Beer Fact, a Wine Fact or a Robin BTW Fact? Probably changed his surname because "BTW" is a swine to pronounce, but how you get to "Oz" from "Robin" is anyone's guess.

FLJ

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 05:22:26 pm »

I probably did mean Adam - the man who demonstrated atmospheric power by collapsing a beer can. May has done some good programmes. Clarkson is a pita, but an entertaining pita.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 08:02:47 pm »

hi there - going back to the original thread, does anyone remember James Burke from the programme 'Tomorrow's World' can you remember he did a short series - it might have been in the 1980's - it was called 'Connections'.     From what I can remember of this programme, it used to be very enjoyable and informative.    I wonder if they are trying to revamp this style of programme but using Richard Hammond as a presenter.

To be honest he is a good presenter for Top Gear but I'm not sure if he is cut out for this style of programme - James May may have been the better one?

aye

john

bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

pneumatician

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 08:15:53 pm »

Quite naturally those of us that are Engineers will think the Richard Hammond programme rather basic but if this is what it takes to get Joe Public and even more important todays kids interested then it gets my full support.

What really upsets me is the fact that having spent most of my working life involved with Motor Vehicle  and Aerospace Industries and worked with brilliant Engineers who earn less in a year than some thicko who can kick a football earns in a week.

Steve

Philipsparker

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 03:03:07 pm »

I think the clue to the level of the programme was in the title - Richard Hammonds Engineering Connections.

The BBC hates science and felt the need to attach a celeb to anything that is even half way sciency. Personally though I enjoyed the show. OK so it's a bit light but them if you view it as entertainment rather than education then it's better than nothing. Very obviously made to be sold abroad though. Look at all those recaps to fit around commercial breaks. I say get Tomorrows world back and put Michael Rod & Judith Han back in charge !

Phil

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 03:08:51 pm »

Phil,  Who?  Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 06:42:41 pm »

A much better program was Paxman's The Victorians!
   http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hsr7s/The_Victorians_Painting_the_Town/

omra85

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 10:24:44 pm »

I say get Tomorrows world back and put Michael Rod & Judith Han back in charge !

Ha! - young upstarts - Raymond Baxter's the kiddy  :-)) {-)

Danny

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 10:47:51 pm »

Tomorows world rocked in the 70's , but the BBC do have a science program on i think its called connect or something like that dealing with modern and new gadgets .
One of my favorite programs was "trains, planes and automobiles " with Robbie Coltrane fantastic and a wealth of info for the steam enthusiast/novice.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

OMK

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 01:00:03 am »

Where I live I only have to pay a paltry £7.00 per annum for my TV licence. On the strength of that, I guess I can't really whinge too much while the Beeb are paying the likes of Jonathon Ross millions in salary. But as to saying that they hate science I think is maybe a tad wrong. I mean, if it weren't for them airing Rough Science on channel 2, then I'd never have got to see the delicious Kate Humble. And neither can I whinge too much over the fact that they went on to partner her with that appropriately-named dweeb, Bill Oddie.
So, if my seven quid means I have to watch some dwarf presenting a piece on the airbus A280, then it sure beats paying the full-wack licence fee just to watch all them gay faggots such as Graham Norton and Dale Winton and their ilk doing their best to kill off British television.

Philipsparker

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 08:12:37 am »

Tomorrows world rocked in the 70's , but the BBC do have a science program on i think its called connect or something like that dealing with modern and new gadgets .
One of my favorite programs was "trains, planes and automobiles " with Robbie Coltrane fantastic and a wealth of info for the steam enthusiast/novice.
daz
I's called "Click" and is part of the BBC News behemoth (See it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_4970000/newsid_4977500/4977542.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&bbcws=1

If you think engineering connections was bad, just try watching it when you know even a little about technology. If you do you'll be screaming at the telly as it exhibits the usual BBC "regurgitate a press release rather than get off your ar*e and do some intelligent reporting" techniques.

I agree about Planes, Trains... It helps to have a writer/presenter who understands the stuff he is talking about and has a genuine enthusiasm for the subject.

Phil

Phil

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 09:00:16 am »

"Trains, planes and automobiles,  with Robbie Coltrane fantastic" - Agreed!
 Raymond Baxter and William Woolard - Ah, those were the days........... Why have I still not got a jet pack?!!?!   >:-o

Proteus

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 10:45:50 am »

Industrial Revelations on sky with Mark Williams I thought  was very good, you could see he understood and enjoyed what he was talking about, but the new series will have that Pratt Rory McGrath's , so there goes another good series .

Proteus

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 12:41:37 pm »

PMK,

I could not let slip that you have to have a license to watch TV,
why it sounds as if your tele is no better than ours, we pay nothing
and get nothing, but at least we don't pay to watch the same krap....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.