Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amphibous Tank  (Read 2592 times)

The long Build

Amphibous Tank
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:58:08 pm »

Ok , got myself one my son one of these Amphibious tanks for Christmas. On a whole it is great fun , I don't tend to put the bb's in because they come out at one hell of a force. Although at some stage I will build a paper target for him to practice with , (of course in the back garden). Anyway all was working well until it suddenly started to list and then turn turtle , probably because there was a Tug speed boat going for the land speed record !! and I kept driving the tank into the large waves assuming that it could handle it.  (what was that saying "assumption is the mother of all mess up's) (polite version)

The said tug did do the right thing and pushed me back into the side , I then drained it and played for a bit longer until the battery was exhausted which in all is about 20-30 minutes .

When I got home I wanted to see why it had taken on so much water and why one of the sets of wheels had also stopped, I did not expect to find the mess of wires which I did on the inside, and thought you might like to see inside as well.

Main reason for the water intake , I think is that the half's have no rubber seal or lip to butt together so I have now applied a wall of Vaseline to help seal the half's

Also I think that the wiring is of a very cheap quality as I noticed that when the tank had been originaly joined a number of wires had been pinched and there was exposed wire, while was reparing these one set of wire came unstuck from the solder without any force. Saying that if I had not opened it up it probably would have been fine.

Some pics anyway.

garston1

Re: Amphibous Tank
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:07:16 pm »

Hey Louigi, you wanna da spaghetti? 8)

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:40:10 pm »

Bl***y hell Larry, its got as many wires as its got cogs-----good luck putting it back together (next time load the BB's and shoot the tug !!!!)    :-))
Steamed up all the time

craftysod

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:37:28 am »

what makes me laugh,is when any of us get one of these toys,we gotta take it apart.
In this case is was neccesary,then you realise how bad/cheaply they are made
Mark

Philipsparker

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:03:11 pm »

you realise how bad/cheaply they are made

Ahh, but would you pay proper money for a better made one ?

Thought not  {-)

Phil

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 07:12:18 pm »

what makes me laugh,is when any of us get one of these toys,we gotta take it apart.
In this case is was neccesary,then you realise how bad/cheaply they are made
Mark

It was great having a legitimate excuse , could have sent it back under warranty but where would the fun be in that. :}

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 08:18:32 pm »

I got one of these, without the gun.
The radio is rubbish and it's not very robust but I did think the mechanism was actually quite smooth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpqaCJpFIaM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzAg6SdaDFI
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

craftysod

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 08:31:09 pm »

excellent leave the wheels down,floating beer cooler at the pond  :-))

The long Build

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:07:02 pm »

I got one of these, without the gun.
The radio is rubbish and it's not very robust but I did think the mechanism was actually quite smooth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpqaCJpFIaM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzAg6SdaDFI

The radio on this is 40 meg and thats all it says., at the pond the other week there were a number of boats on the water and it kept good range and did not appear to interfere with any others , before it sank !

Philipsparker

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 09:18:50 am »

The radio on this is 40 meg and thats all it says., at the pond the other week there were a number of boats on the water and it kept good range and did not appear to interfere with any others , before it sank !

Wow, testing radio interference with other peoples models by experiment. I'm suprised they didn't sink you !  :o

You were lucky, they were probably running 27mhz or 2.4ghz. Anyone using 40mhz would have been swamped with your signal. At the very least thier controls would have been interfered with. Don't you guys have frequency boards to control this sort of thing ?

Phil

The long Build

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 11:52:52 am »

Wow, testing radio interference with other peoples models by experiment. I'm suprised they didn't sink you !  :o

You were lucky, they were probably running 27mhz or 2.4ghz. Anyone using 40mhz would have been swamped with your signal. At the very least thier controls would have been interfered with. Don't you guys have frequency boards to control this sort of thing ?

Phil

Phil
It was a controlled test . And all members with boats on the lake were aware and involved in the test, and at the time they were all runnuing on 40mhz.  (was also more of a test to see who's freq clashed with the tank.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.