Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help for a Newby  (Read 4776 times)

royalhussar

Help for a Newby
« on: March 28, 2010, 03:29:54 pm »

Hey all, great forum.

I have dabbled with a couple of electric speed boats in the past, but I'm now considering a dive into something scale......trouble is, i want to try something a little different.
OK, i REALLY like Vosper Perkasa's, but (call it odd) i love the mechanics of jet drives.........so i kinda want to combine the 2.
I wondered if anyone on this part of the forum could recommend a nice, entry level model,  to give you guys an idea of my background, I am an experienced static model builder, and have 28 years experience with radio controlled cars. I also run a team games business with a fleet of Tamiya r/c tanks, so am fairly sturdy when it comes to model mechanics.
1/32 scale seems to be the popular choice for these boats, i don't want to buy a top of the range kit as obviously its going to be a wee bit experimental, but i would still like it to be a looker.
Any help gratefully received, and trust me, i shall be perusing the "newby" and "how to" sections of the forum while i wait!!
Cheers all
John

andyn

Re: Help for a Newby
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 04:34:02 pm »

Sorry, I'm not much help when it comes to jet drives, but when it comes to Perkasa hulls I may be able to help. Our club is selling a 36" Glassfibre hulled one. Price I do not know but if you're interested get in touch with me and I'll find out more.

Welcome to the forum...

royalhussar

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 09:27:17 pm »

Hey Andyn,
cheers for the response, don't worry, i posted in this section purely coz i was after info about the Perkasa, I'll pick the brains of the guys in the "mechanics"section about the jets etc........would really appreciate a little more info on the kits your club is selling if thats OK.....cheers
John

rsm

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:57:49 am »

You could also try look here for a 1/32nd scale Perkasa:

http://vosper-perkasa.com/estore/product_info.php?products_id=49

andyn

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:21:23 pm »

The one we're selling is already made, and needs a little bit of scale work if you're up for it. Has two propshafts fitted but you could easily rip them out and fill the holes with P38.

royalhussar

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:35:46 pm »

Ok, got any foto's or details? and inevitably, price details?
Cheers
John

andyn

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 03:39:17 pm »

I'll get back to you on price when I next go down the club, but as for pics this is what it looked like when I first rebuilt it: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12000.0

It has changed a fair amount since then.

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 09:13:08 pm »

For all things jet drive try Kehrer jet . de
not sure of proper web address but it googles ok
One our our members at the Norwich model Boat Club runs a model of an Austrailian river jet boat and it is a bit rapid

Regards Donuts

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 01:47:42 pm »

something like a perkassa with jet drives EASY
COMBAT BOAT 90
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Boat_90

the combat boat 90 do a search on youtube :-))
they go like stink
there is drawings for them about my mate has a set hard chine hull easy to do or
KMB do a kit but it is a bit pricey and it is for the police version :((

there are many variant some with a twin 120mm tank turret or with hellfire missiles
fitted  so you could have many differant versions
also the royal marines are testing them

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 02:01:39 pm »

COMBAT BOAT 90
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Boat_90

Never heard of this one before - looks like a great subject for a fast R/C model! I wonder if anyone will ever do a kit or at least a hull moulding? It looks like quite an unusual hull form, from what I can see in the various photos (here's a good photo of some Norwegian boats)

Are you sure about the twin 120mm turret variant, though? No mention of it on Wikipedia, and it sounds like a lot of topweight for a small shallow-draught boat like this.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 02:22:50 pm »

I saw the picture of the twin 120mm I think it is denmark that fitted them.

KMB have a kit of it http://www.jet-drive.de/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=50&Itemid=17
all you have to do is convert it to a military version which is an easy thing to do

then all the differant scandanavian camouflage schemes make them really stand out

did you check out the videos on youtube of it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.