Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LCT6'ish  (Read 11958 times)

GG

LCT6'ish
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:08:40 am »

I bought a 1/30 scale RC tank last year and wanted to build a landing craft for it.  I had visions of beaching the LCT, dropping the ramp and storming ashore with the tank (anyone remember "General Jumbo?" in a 1950's comic?).
The design which had greatest appeal was the LCT6 from WW2, designed to carry up to 5 tanks.  The problem was at this scale it made for a rather large model.  Not impossible by any means but the landing stage at the local clubs sailing water is a long walk from the car park and my nearby canal has a big drop from ground to water levels, never fallen in but.....
None of the smaller Landing Craft could tempt me so a freelance design, incorporating some of the LCM6 features was built.  It gave a length of about 30 inches (75 cm) and weight of 7 pounds (3 kg), making life much easier.  In anticipation of some rough handling, it was built out of plywood and lumber.  All the wood parts having straight edges, any curves in the hull being made by a jigsaw and sanding disc.
Power is from twin "600" motors being fitted with fine pitch props for high thrust at low speeds rather than a high model speed.  Independent motor control via transmitter mixing, takes care of steering as I felt rudders might be a shade vulnerable.  A third channel operates the bow ramp.
So far I've managed to beach the LCM and drive the tank off it and up the muddy pondside bank.  However, recovering the tank onto the LCM is going to take more practice, a lot more practice!
Having told the Editor of "Model Boats" about it, I'd better get the plans and article finished.
Glynn Guest

andyn

Re: LCT6'ish
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:12:44 am »

I know what's goiing on my list of things to build after my HMS Sylvia, Crusader 3 and car heater fan powered airboat :-))

das boot

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:20:54 am »

Now that I like...

Rich

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:28:14 am »

Strewth, GG! To think I've looked at that background without protective eye-wear and before  I've had breakfast, too!

Model looks just the ticket, and a prime candidate for a certain twin-motor controller gizmo...........  ok2

What power supply does it carry?

FLJ

GG

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 10:09:18 am »

FLJ,
The LCT uses a high capacity six cell NiMH pack tucked into the stern.  This gives the model the right trim without the need for any ballast.  I did toy with a six volt Gell-Cell but the extra couple of pounds pushed the model too deep into the water.
As to the "twin-motor controller gizmo....." I know not of what you speak.
Glynn Guest

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 01:02:09 pm »

Glynn,

Thanks for the preview - another lean greyhound of the seas :} and possibly another one for the build list.

Love the background - the LCT can't be Barbie's RV-carrier, can it?

If you land the tank, and jeep under R/C how many hands do you have?
andrew

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:15:45 pm »

The odd thing about the LCT6 was that it had a loading ramp, or at least a gate, in the stern as well as the bow, the first real RoRo perhaps. I've never been able to find any photos of the rear ramp in use, so have no idea how it worked. But I bet DickyD can be relied on to find some.

Must be easier than trying to reverse a tank on, though.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

GG

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 12:37:01 pm »

Hi All,
Getting better at beaching and landing the tank, still not able to drive the tank back onto the LCT with any reliability though.
Plans drawn up, article half written (much easier to build the damn things than write about them!) so to keep up the modelling momentum, then next model has been started.  Another warship but from a different era.
Now for a further distraction, my wife has decided that this weekend is for gardening....
Glynn Guest

GG

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:38:40 pm »

Whoops, forgot to attach this picture.
Glynn Guest

das boot

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »

More pics and more info please GG...

Rich

GG

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 10:35:22 am »

Rich,
Sorry for delay in responding.  Nothing really to add to what was in the first post.  Very simple, cheap and easy to build, if it wasn't I guess I'd have to find another hobby.
Had a lot of fun adding the details from commercial plastic kits.  Well worth doing as it really brings this type of model to "life".  It also distracts people from the greatly simplified underwater hull form.
More testing has failed to reveal any handling or performance failings, save for personal mistakes when trying to do something a shade too clever!
Long term durability looks good, well it ought to being build like the proverbial brick ....house! This usually means that I will get bored with it before it is written off.
Keep watching Model Boats, it might turn up within the pages.
Glynn Guest

rcboater

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:55:07 am »

The odd thing about the LCT6 was that it had a loading ramp, or at least a gate, in the stern as well as the bow, the first real RoRo perhaps. I've never been able to find any photos of the rear ramp in use, so have no idea how it worked. But I bet DickyD can be relied on to find some.

Must be easier than trying to reverse a tank on, though.

The LCT6  was designed so that it could be used as a sort of floating bridge--  a causeway from an LST to the beach,  in places where the LST couldn't get close enough the beach to unload directly. 

das boot

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 06:56:50 pm »

Rich,
Sorry for delay in responding.  Nothing really to add to what was in the first post.  Very simple, cheap and easy to build, if it wasn't I guess I'd have to find another hobby.
Had a lot of fun adding the details from commercial plastic kits.  Well worth doing as it really brings this type of model to "life".  It also distracts people from the greatly simplified underwater hull form.
More testing has failed to reveal any handling or performance failings, save for personal mistakes when trying to do something a shade too clever!
Long term durability looks good, well it ought to being build like the proverbial brick ....house! This usually means that I will get bored with it before it is written off.
Keep watching Model Boats, it might turn up within the pages.
Glynn Guest

Thanks Glynn...watching, and waiting!

Rich

hollowhornbear

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 09:21:26 pm »

any news on this, my sherman needs a ride. if you should need someone to beta test the plans, can i put my name down.
watching and waiting. :-))

GG

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 01:42:22 pm »

Plans are now in the hands of "Model Boats" but do not hold your breath
GlynnG

hollowhornbear

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 04:06:18 pm »

but i suffocating and the sherman crew are drowning {-) {-) {-)

rcboater

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 04:08:47 pm »

The build article and the free plans are in the current issue of "Model Boats" magazine. 

I have to admit that I was a little surprised that the model doesn't have any rudders-- it uses differential thrust on the two shafts  for steering.   At first glance, the underwater hull shape is also a little unusual,  but there's a good explanation of the reasoning  in the article. 

Shakey60

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 07:43:08 pm »

Well, I went and did it, bought Model Boat Magazine, found some 1/8th and 1/4 ply, a bit of 4 x 1 softwood and went for it.

Three weeks later and she's christened and just had her maiden voyage.

Thanks Glynn ... she sails a treat

brockya

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 07:47:28 pm »

Hi
Can anyone tell me where I can buy a back issue with this plan and build in it ?
Thanks
Richard.

craftysod

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 07:53:54 pm »

PM sent

The long Build

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »

Model Boats  December 2009

Damien

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 08:14:27 am »

Here's mine almost ready for paint just some portholes to go.
I decided to go with twin rudders, the superstructure is thick card from a local picture framer.

Forecast for tomorrow is for fine sunny weather hop to ge first paint on.
Damien.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 11:57:22 pm »

Sunny????? In Melbourne???  {-) {-) Sorry Damien, I couldn't resist it. Wasn't it raining there last night? I watched the Rugby League Test from AAMI Park on TV for about 15 minutes and it looked to be coming down quite heavily.

Your LCT is looking good  :-)) A couple of our members are building one each, so we could have an invasion force on our lake some time soon.

Keep the pictures coming.

Peter.

Damien

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 06:19:40 am »

LOL Peter i'll admit Melbourne can sometimes get all 4 seasons in a day but lets be honest NSW is on average a very much wetter state i know this from experience living in Taree for 18 months when my car was bogged in backyard for 6mths i eventually had to dig it out.

It is a beautiful sunny day andi I did get the primer/putty sprayed and discovered while model aircraft dope may seal wood it dosent fill the grain so more poly filler needed it is looking good though. I sprayed outside with a mask on but still got a head ache will get pics when head clears.
D.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 10:51:49 pm »

let's be honest NSW is on average a very much wetter state

Very true Damien. Our average rainfall here on the far north coast is 56 inches, or over 1400mm per year but, because we live right on the coast, the water drains away very quickly at our place. However, we also get some beautiful weather, like right now. It's our club sailing day today, and the weather is almost perfect, except for a lazy cool southerly breeze, so I'm off to the lake in an hour's time.

Do you use the exterior grade polyfilla? The interior grade is OK in my experience, you just need to be sure it's well sealed - I normally use fibreglass resin with excellent results.

I'm looking forward to more photos.

Peter.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.