Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi from another newbie  (Read 1676 times)

ian-p

Hi from another newbie
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:21:38 pm »

Hi all, my names Ian, and just been out and bought a kit to play with.

Abit about me, last year i was told i have severe emphysaema (sp) basically, i have about half my lungs left lol. well after spending a stint in hospital reading model boat and marine modeling mags, thought i'll have a go at doing another.
i'd still class myself as a newbie to the hobbie as the last one i made was about 20 years ago. so hope you lot dont mind me firing a few questions now and then.

after doing a bit of research on the net i came to the conclusion model slipway kits are the one's to go for, so drove over to the dockyard model shop in chatham from eastbourne today and after taking ages to decide came home with the kit Vliestroom, my next job now is to turn the spare box room upstairs in to the model room  :-)

Just one quick question for now, what radio gear would you guys recomend? i want to add lights and if poss have the crane working.
Ive been offered a jr 6 channel from a friend, but its been used to fly a plane, can they be converted? is it just a matter of swapping over crystals?
or would i be better off going for a new set? poss this new 2.4ghz ive been reading about?

anyway that will do for now, and thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

craftysod

Re: Hi from another newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:32:33 pm »

Welcome to the madness of mayhem,
Most people are opting for the 2.4 ghz sets as there are no clash issues if other boats are sailing at the same time,
I use the spektum dx6i with no problems at all,others use the dx5 with just as good results,and some people dont use
2.4 sets but are happy with crystal sets because thats what they have,no need to buy a new one.
Cant comment on jr sets never used one
happy sailing
Mark

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:03 pm »

hi there and welcome to the Mayhem Madhoose - first of all I am not familiarwith the JR radio set - but, if it is being used for aircraft and it is 35 mgz then its definitely a 'no-no' for use on model boats/cars.  There are only 2.4 mgz   40 mgz  and  27 mgz   allowed for us chappies and lassies - if you are in the UK that is.

To be honest with you I cannot comment on the quality or reliability of the 2.4 mgz sets.

I myself still prefer the 40 mgz  and the more people who purchase the 2.4 mgz ones are doing me a favour - giving me a lot more frequencies to pick from  %% %%

aye
john e
bluebird

p.s. Craftysod  %% me wife wants to know when is it the monkey's turn to have a go on the computer - as in your avatar  %) :embarrassed: :embarrassed: {-) %%
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:41:38 pm »

Hi Ian join the emphysema club on here.

Your posting could have been done by me.

I was diagnosed in 2001. 

My workshop is the spare bedroom which I get to via stairlift. I used to have a shed in the garden but I got to badly affected by temperature changes.

A word of warning, be very careful when gluing, using epoxy resin, soldering or painting or any sort of dust as theses can have really bad adverse affects on the breathing.

If you feel the need to have a natter about your condition feel free to send me a personal message.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:47:19 pm »

Ian,

Welcome to the forum and as the guys say, don't use the aircraft radio for a boat....It is illegal and can be very dangerous.

Enjoy your build and don't forget to post lots of pictures for us all to see. You will find plenty of help on the forum. It is full of friendly, helpful people.

Barry

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 06:35:49 am »

Some good advice from DickyD (and he should know what he is talking about).

Can I add a comment about cyano adhesives? Some Members have reported adverse effects from breathing in fumes when using cyano. Presumably you will be very sensitised to all the things mentioned and others. Some folk use a small fan gently blowing across their work area. You probably don't need a howling gale!

Also, have some breaks for fresh air - go and make a pot of tea or get a beer from the fridge.

Enjoy your build. Several Members have built "Vilestroom" including a Member from central Europe who has posted plenty of pictures. Try the Forum "Search" facility.

Roger in France

ian-p

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 07:53:46 pm »

Thanks for the welcome guys, starting to feel at home already  :-)

Ok so i'll forget the JR set, and look at buying new, was just me being a bit tight really lol. So what do most of you guys use then, make wise, as a few said they have never ued a JR set.

Ive had a quick search on here and found the threads about the  Vliestroom, i have a hell of alot of reading to do.

Richard thanks for the offer on a chat mate, i might just take you up on that, although i must admit im doing alot better now than this time last year, i was having to stop two or three times for a rest just to get up stairs. Just noticed where your from too, small world, i was born and brought up in Bursledon although now lived in Eastbourne for the last 15 years.

What a great idea Roger, i would never of thought of a tiny fan on the side of the bench, thanks for that idea, i'll be down argos this weekend to see what they have. i've started making a u shaped bench in the spare room and doing it so the main part ill be sat at is right under the window, so i have light and can open the windows.

Thanks again all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.