Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Helicopter Ditching  (Read 1784 times)

sea.mariner

Helicopter Ditching
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:04:21 pm »

Well its very good news to here tonight that the 16 passengers and 2 crew have been rescued from the ditched helicopter 125 miles east of Aberdeen, myself and my wife both work offshore and guess we take the helicopters for granted. It can only be many thanks to the competant crew of that helicopter and best wishes to the passengers on board.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090218/tuk-crashed-helicopter-crew-rescued-from-45dbed5.html

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Helicopter Ditching
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:21:04 pm »

Hear hear to that sea mariner, there are a lot of relieved and happy families out there tonight!
The safety training got a run through for real today and it paid off. It's one good thing about rig choppers, you know all the guys (and Gals) on board have been trained to a standard in case of an incident. It makes you feel a tad vulnerable when you board a commercial kite and realise that almost all on board have nil incident training, you just sit there and wonder how it will all go should there be an emegency.
I met a Dutch guy whilst on a job in Holland, we swapped tales and he had crashed on the beach on his very first flight. On his second flight they had engine failure whilst his third flight was not without some other kind of mishap. This guy had guts, he told me this whilst standing at the rail waiting for the chopper to take us ashore!

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:17:40 am »

It sounds like another great piece of flying. Well done to the crew and great to hear of a happy ending..

Dan......You are quite right of course, we do take the gas supply for granted, never thinking of the hard work and danger people face to bring it into our houses......Well they used to till I moved to Malaga...

Barry

DARLEK1

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:32:33 pm »

The latest on this one, it has been on the news, one of the passengers is convinced that the helo hit something in the fog, next minute they were in the water. The plot thickens?

Paul... :o

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:04:28 am »

paul, could be anything, if a bolt flies loose on a spinning blade or shaft, it'll give an almighty thump.  when the tail engine primary compressor fan failed on United Airlines UA232 over Iowa, surviving passengers said it was "like a bomb going off".

Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

DARLEK1

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:13:15 am »

Really Ghosty, oh my word! I would never have known that my mate!

{:-{.

Tell me, have you personally had experience of this happening?

I have just the other week when I almost bacame part of the Airbus factory where they make the wings, got caught in a jet wash from the "some posh persons" private jet, allegedly, who wouldn't wait untill told to move while I was landing. Went into a fence and shattered the tail rotor, lucky I was only 6 feet up wasn't it?

Paul... {:-{
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.