Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nordkap Build  (Read 14252 times)

barryfoote

Nordkap Build
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 07:55:00 am »

Excellent Peter and thanks for the photos.......No matter how much I tried though, I couldn't get the coins in the donation box. :-)) :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Nordkap Build
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 10:30:19 pm »

Footski, I appreciate the thought, we did actually do quite well with the donation box though. We need the money too, as our container at our lake was vandalised and burnt out earlier this year, causing an assessed damage value of over $15,000. We didn't know it at the time, but the Ballina RSL Club, of which we are a part, had an excess of $10,000, so we only received just over $5,000 from the insurance company. When we approached the RSL Club for the balance of the claim, they pleaded poverty, and only gave us $2,500. When the RSL Club policy was taken out, a relatively small claim such as ours had not been considered, the main aim being the coverage of the Club buildings and contents, the value of which would run into millions. They have since taken out a policy to cover future incidents such as ours - the words stable doors and bolting horses come to mind.

On the bright side, we have had great support from the business community of Ballina, and hopefully we will have a new container on site soon, together with some replacement contents.

Peter.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Nordkap Build
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 11:40:47 pm »

Thread moved from the "Whose Building What at the Moment" thread.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

gibson

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 01:40:46 am »

Hi Peter,

Great build and superb pictures........

I have got a long way to go and so much to learn but seeing what you have done here is very inspiring.

Dale.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 11:14:02 pm »

Thanks, Dale.

As I said earlier, it was a very enjoyable kit to build, and has also proved to be a very enjoyable model to sail. It has now had numerous outings and has performed flawlessly every time.

Peter.

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2009, 05:24:57 pm »

Hi Peter,

How did you finish the hull on your Nordkap? ie. fibreglass or by some other method? Very nice looking! Cheers.

Bill.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2009, 08:22:16 pm »

Hi Bill,

The hull was first filled with an exterior grade Polyfilla, then rubbed down, checked for any unevenness, then filled again where necessary, more rubbing etc, until I was happy with the smoothness. I then sprayed it with a high build primer, more rubbing, then I sealed it with fibreglass resin, brushed on. Still more rubbing, this time with various grades of wet and dry paper until I was satisfied with the result. It was painted with household enamel from spray cans, the red "anti fouling" was a red oxide primer.

I hope this answers your question.

Peter.

Martin13

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2009, 10:03:44 pm »

Well done Pete,

Nice paint job.

Which motor did you use and ESC.

Martin doon under

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2009, 10:26:19 pm »

Martin, the motor is a stock standard 540, and the ESC is an Mtroniks Viper 15.

Peter.

ggeorge

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2009, 01:52:45 am »

Very nice work, Looks great on the water.

G. George

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2009, 06:22:44 am »

Thanks ggeorge.

Peter.

Jerome Morris

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009, 04:14:15 pm »

Peter, Nice job on the Nordkap, I have an opportunity to pick one up cheap and after seeing yours I just may grab it. By the way, did you clear coat the bottom paint to keep the red primer from scratching to much.
 And one more question,Who built the "Hawaiian Pilot" and what did they use for the construction.That's my kind of ship model.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009, 10:38:32 pm »

Jerome, I didn't clear coat the bottom of the hull, but have not had any problem with scratching. The bottom of our lake is fairly fine sand, and doesn't seem to cause any damage to paintwork.

The "Hawaiian Pilot" was built by our club treasurer, Mike Marks, and I believe the construction of the hull is mainly balsa, covered with lightweight fibreglass. He made an excellent job of it, although I told him he must be a masochist, given the amount of hand railing  {-)

A couple more photos of it below.

Peter.

Jerome Morris

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 01:26:23 pm »

Nice, Thanks Peter. And a sandy place to run your boats....you are a lucky man, here in Maine we are grateful to the ice age, which left lots of rocks and granite exposed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.