Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:8 scale unlimited hydro class YES or NO  (Read 3856 times)

addz0009

1:8 scale unlimited hydro class YES or NO
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:02:41 pm »

I am writing this as i would like to start a class for 1:8 Unlimited Hyroplanes, this is a huge class in the US and Canada but seems that it is non exsistant here in the UK.
Would anyone out there be interested in joining this class if it was made possible, its exciting, fast and just bloody good fun.
I would like to gather as much input as possible from modellers so that i can approach the MPBA and try and get something put togather. Please let me know any ideas or just your general feelings on this.
Thank you
Adam Colins

andyn

Re: 1:8 scale unlimited hydro class YES or NO
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:10:37 pm »

Theres already something for that, FSR-H. The thing is the only boats that are ever run competitively in it are 3 point riggers.

I know a couple of people who have them, I should think they'd both like a go.

addz0009

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:17:15 pm »

that is exactly my point. It is all outriggers i am talking scale unlimiteds like the Atlas Van Lines, Miss Circus Circus, Miss Budweiser etc. That are replicas of real boats.

andyn

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:33:52 pm »

I'm sure Greg Sadler would give it a go, thing is, if he did the rest of you wouldn't stand a popsicles chance in hell...

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:03:36 am »

Good luck with that Adam,i don't race myself but i love the unlimited hydros and thunderboats.I myself have a rockett roundnose that is so much fun to run ,shes in the 60 + mph range speed wise hope to get a gps in her soon once i find a new carb.Theres a  cpl of them been raced over the pond in the open hydro class with full mods and they're hitting high 60s thats besides all the ones in the stock scale thunderboat class as well.I also designed and built my own version of a roundnose hydro from plug to moulds and finished hull.Runs like a dream in most conditions too ,a friend has one with a stock rcmk motor and he gps'd it at 48 mph the other week while still running it in so he should see mid 50s at least once he sorts it out.This class could be the most enjoyable of them all if you can get it to take off.I also agree a boat should look like a real boat .
Mart

addz0009

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:34:46 am »

Hi Mart,

Beautiful boat mate. Would like to know more about your moulds and if you would let me have a hull maybe. With regards to the hydroclass i was thinking stock motors, alot of guys in the US are running .67 in their boats. They tend to focus more on the reliabilty and the scale factor rather then the money side of it. In my opinion this makes for more competitive racing.
If you look at the FSRV high end the money is ridiculous and to me seems that for a newcomer with limited funds, you will not be competitive enough to progress, which can be disheartning to some people.
I am starting a build in the next couple of days of a Miss Circus Circus i think i will put a thread together and try and get some interest, as i a m determined to get this class up and running, because i know there is a lot of closet scale hydro fans out there.
Adam

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 11:04:14 am »

Hi Adam thanks for the compliment,as regards the moulds i started with a plug that was basicly a wooden hydro that i built from scratch.I used the same angles on the sponsons as on my zippkits rockett with the blessing of the designer Joe Petro as i knew they worked well, the rest i worked out myself.I made some alterations to the hulls length and width compairing it to my rockett  to allow better access to the inside as i felt my rockett was a little cramped .You will also notice the cowl is wide so she has a large opening to make working inside much easier etc.The one my mate has runs very well and very stable,havent even ran one myself yet as he took this one before i had a chance lol.The moulds i made came out pretty good although the top did need some buffing when it came out of the mould,but ive since worked on the top mould some more to enable a better finnish out of the mould.All inall the finnish is pretty good but for a scale look most guys would probably paint the top anyway.Ill be making one in the next week or so all been well,i also had some nice t boat graphics made up for them which should look pretty cool.PM me for some details ill be glad to let you have some more info.I agree with what your saying as regards a stock class that would be good,the way the americans have done it seems to make for a more even playing field.I have a great dvd here of the winter nationals in Orlando id be happy to send you a  copy if your interested,it was sent to me by Joe at zippkits whos a good friend.I look forward to seeing your build thread im addicted to these types of boats theres nothing like them on the water.Mines more stable than some vees in the chop and its def a head turner on the lake.By the way where in east yorks you from mate thats where im from orriginally.
Mart
Heres a pic of my Rockett

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 11:45:36 am »

I think petrol power is the way to go,reliable and cheap compaired to nitro plus these boats are dam big.
Mart

mook

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:24:27 am »

Hey Mart. Love the  Rockett

Please dont sell me one I am only just getting used to the vee  O0  <:(

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 09:52:02 am »

Hey Mart. Love the  Rockett

Please dont sell me one I am only just getting used to the vee  O0  <:(

Lol ok Malc ill wait till you get used to it   :-)),by the way the hydro i build is the comet which is the red one the green one was a kit.
Mart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.